• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Astral Chain
  3. This game gives off SMT vibes- am I right?

User Info: PressRestart

PressRestart
1 week ago#1
SMT is one of my favorite series, I love the stories and people, music and environments.
This game looks like an action SMT game to me, and I'm really digging it.

If I buy it, am I gonna be disappointed?
The False Prophet of the Nintendo 3DS Board.
I can see that. It definitely has a slight smt vibe as far as the setting goes. If you like action Games and don't mind puzzle solving and platforming sprinkled in between fighting you should pick this up.
Switch friend code: Sw-8577-5447-3298. Currently playing Splatoon 2 (DonnaRhea)

User Info: Salocool

Salocool
1 week ago#3
Loving SMT doesn't mean s*** nowaday since you have 3 main styles of SMT games

1) SNES SMTs with a very distinct gameplay/art style. Very dated in many regards, but with a strong charm due to obvious passion from the developers.

2) You have Nocturne and Digital Devil Saga, which are the apex of the franchise with incredible production values and creative, original vision in every facets.

3) Then you have SMT4 which is a bastardized, watered down emulation of Nocturne that gets nearly everything wrong due to very poor directorial vision. Writing, atmosphere, dungeon design, random battles, music; everything is undeniably inferior to a degree that is sometimes sickening. Only tiny sliver of salvageable goodie is the improved skill customization.

Somehow, Apocalypse managed to turn most aspects even worse except Boss battles which are exponentially more fun, even a bit more fun than Nocturne's own!

If you have any affinity with the third category, then any game should be good enough for you.
My mother came to suspect that my father was having an affair with painter Frida Kahlo as she kept finding long black hairs on his clothes - eyebrow's.
(edited 1 week ago)

User Info: HopesPeak

HopesPeak
1 week ago#4
Salocool posted...

1) SNES SMTs with a very distinct gameplay/art style. Very dated in many regards, but with a strong charm due to obvious passion from the developers.

2) You have Nocturne and Digital Devil Saga, which are the apex of the franchise with incredible production values and creative, original vision in every facets.

3) Then you have SMT4 which is a bastardized, watered down emulation of Nocturne that gets nearly everything wrong due to very poor directorial vision. Writing, atmosphere, dungeon design, random battles, music; everything is undeniably inferior to a degree that is sometimes sickening. Only tiny sliver of salvageable goodie is the improved skill customization.

Somehow, Apocalypse managed to turn most aspects even worse except Boss battles which are exponentially more fun, even a bit more fun than Nocturne's own!

If you have any affinity with the third category, then any game should be good enough for you.

I actually thought he meant Persona, since nothing about Astral Chain resembles SMT. I also agreed with you up until point 3. SMT 4 was nothing like Nocturne. It felt more like another try at Devil Survivor 1 which was a modernized take on the classics. SMT4 pays more tribute to SMT2 than anything else, similar to how Devil Survivor 1 paid tribute to SMT1.

Then again thinking about it, you use a lot of buzzwords and you actually thought that the PS2 era games had high production values, lol. The gfx & audio have style, but it sure wasn't big budget. Nocturne's music was made with a s***ty keyboard, lol. That's why the weak attempt at heavy metal music sounded like crap. SMT4's music was way better coz they actually used real instruments. Some of the songs even sounded like updated takes on the much more eerie SMT classic tunes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=380K996pjdY
Nothing from Nocturne sounded as good as that song did.
http://www.paradisehotel51.com

User Info: ZeroX91

ZeroX91
1 week ago#5
Salocool posted...

What about the best franchise.... Devil Survivor?
Waving the flag is fun.

User Info: lock_e_dge

lock_e_dge
1 week ago#6
I mean, by those standards.... yeah, maybe? In everything but music. SMT's writing isn't perfect by any means but why a character is doing something is usually a focus of the plot. AC is more focused on action set pieces and doing fun things with its central mechanic. If someone is having a good character moment, it's usually because it's literally their only one, and the game expects you to stretch that out over its entire run-time.

It's a fun ride, but comparisons to more character focused series like Xenoblade and Nier Automata are usually to the game's detriment, imo

User Info: Moranite

Moranite
6 days ago#7
Salocool posted...

Personally I like all kinds of MegaTen, new and old. (Nocturne and Kyuuyaku are my favorites, though, I can't deny that)

Anyway I was thinking about checking this game out so I checked the board. If this is game is anything like SMT then I definitely will (though it's kinda looking to me like it isn't. Still seems cool though).
https://i.imgur.com/Hln2QLq.png | https://i.imgur.com/igzn4vJ.jpg
"Harman... the world won't change. All it does is turn."

User Info: BloodCurve

BloodCurve
6 days ago#8
Other than summoning from a wrist mounted device, there's not too much more similarities.
  1. Boards
  2. Astral Chain
  3. This game gives off SMT vibes- am I right?
  • Post New Message