• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Astral Chain
  3. Tips and Tech Talk

User Info: Tipsentech

Tipsentech
4 weeks ago#11
I love stuff like that combo and yeah most of this stuff is just for fun. Except Power shot turned out to be legitimately useful. It's good to know someone's getting something from this, it's hard to tell. I saw a guy complaining Blade Mode was overpowered with it's mere 4 second cooldown, dude doesn't even know.

I'm messing about with the self destruct Idea, I don't have all the cores but I'm at 900%. It's only doing around 400 damage which isn't great but if you hit with your baton after you can then resummon your Legion at low energy and dodge again for another bomb. So risky. It's hard to know what's common knowledge so-

Energy Drain- When you run out of energy you can't use your Legion again until it's all restored. However if you attack an enemy with your weapon you can resummon your Legion much sooner. Attacking an enemy drains energy from them which you can use for your Legions. This is why that e-collect range ability exists so that you can drain at range with your gun and Arrow Legion. It's worth saying Legions drain energy too.

Slow Shot- This interrupts attacks better than anything else, only big bosses aren't staggered. This stagger is it's selling point to me .It seems the slow down will go away quicker or in real time if you activate any time slow like Legion switching. You can still combo the enemy but you can't launch them in Slow shot Mode. You can still get Arm to grab them though and then they can be launched or hit away. Good to create time for positioning.

Tipsentech
4 weeks ago#12
Haven't had time to play much more and won't for a while either.

Running Slide- This is definitely meant as a positioning tool. If you slide into an enemy you'll go around them but your leash will go loose and leave your Legion behind. You tend to have to wiggle your Legion to get them to come alive but you can do that as you slide. Against Power Chimera you slide between their legs which is fun.

Dog 360- The whirlwind will move toward the enemy and track them as they move. Enemies are vulnerable as they simply move around so if you create space you can use this as a launcher on approaching enemies. Might combo with a headshot I haven't tested yet but a pure long range combo like that could be fun.

And basic data things.

Dogs electric chain- It does about 14 ticks of 75 damage at max upgrades. With Berserk and Power boosts I got it to about 200. It's hard with pure damage attacks to not always compare them to Axe.

360 Arm- Good for applying slow mo. Will gain you energy if you stand close and help out, I slapped an e-range booster on.

User Info: Blazorna

Blazorna
4 weeks ago#13
Feel I should state this just to help people get less stressed out at the point where it happens. Not combat oriented, but helpful.

Beast Legion: Make sure you get used to how the controls work when riding. There is a part that demands you using it, and it's more infuriating than those disappearing platforms in the Astral Plane.

User Info: Gen2000

Gen2000
4 weeks ago#14
Beast Legion became my MVP once I realized how bonkers Howl Skill was. Not sure how viable it is in PT Ultimate but it served me well mopping up final boss of the story and the later post-game extra missions.

But my goto sequence of events once I got both Beast and Axe Legion was Howl > Axe Legion Axe Bomb move (forget name, away from game) always launches the enemies straight up instead of blasting them away. I then go into Sword and use Power Mode + Round Sword to clean up. Howl cooldown is kind of long by default so putting cooldown abilities is good to get more out of it.

Using Chain Wrap with any Legion and doing the first Sync Attack I found it nice to Evade Cancel the auto combo portion instead of letting it play out, that way you can move to the backside of enemies and get massive stream of critical damage. I stacked all my Crit Abilities on Sword Legion and use the Gladius and it melts even the most sturdy HP enemies. Doing this with Sword Legion Round Swords up is insane.

Only enemies it doesn't go so smooth on is the big floating "Arm Legion" types that doesn't have any legs to Chain Warp effectively, have to get some odd angles to do it.
The Storm Is About To Rage.....

User Info: GoodyBoo

GoodyBoo
4 weeks ago#15
Blazorna posted...
it's more infuriating than those disappearing platforms in the Astral Plane.

Those platforms become a lot less infuriating when you realize they don't disappear when your legion is on top of them. Ride the Dog or Fist legion and they'll never fade away.

Gen2000 posted...
Only enemies it doesn't go so smooth on is the big floating "Arm Legion" types that doesn't have any legs to Chain Warp effectively, have to get some odd angles to do it.

Flying enemies are the worst. I typically launch my legion at them and then chain jump to them for some air combos, they are actually fairly slow attackers when they're in the air, I also think they are the easiest enemies to read, they project their attacks for so long before executing them, and when you get close to them their AI tells them to pull back and get distance, so if you're aggressive their only attack option is basic strikes which you can easily just do a dodge, even in air.

User Info: Raeng

Raeng
4 weeks ago#16
Gen2000 posted...
Beast Legion became my MVP once I realized how bonkers Howl Skill was. Not sure how viable it is in PT Ultimate but it served me well mopping up final boss of the story and the later post-game extra missions.

Howl is fantastic, but pales compared to Slow Shot + Vacuum Bomb (Arrow/Arm). So many setups possible.

Not sure how to download videos from my Switch to my PC, so I just uploaded a few setups to Twitter. Here they are:
https://twitter.com/RoytaMustDie/status/1172906836355272704
https://twitter.com/RoytaMustDie/status/1172931322643275776

I still need to edit my other clips, have some more. A good Howl setup is Anger Buff > menu, drink Fishy Water > Howl > Crash Bomb, slow shot (arrow), Hit Rush (arrow/arm), stunlauncher, Axe-sync. Nothing survives that pretty much, even on PT Ultimate. Bonus points if you do it against a boss and end with a fusion (endgame ability spoiler). Wrecks when paired with Fishy Water.

NOTE: Fishy water is the cheap drink that gives +100% ATTK, +10% CRIT and -30% DEF.

GoodyBoo posted...
Flying enemies are the worst.

Use the Arm Legion against the weaker versions, just sending him out will pull them in. His vacuumbomb wrecks them too. Otherwise give Sword his Summoned Blades move and put him in their face. Don't forget that when enemies are vacuumed together, do a Arrow charged headshot, the splashdamage is nuts.
http://www.stingermagazine.com - articles on the action genre's best.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC09UqeY80WzoWMnxRkL4Tkw - challenge runs.

User Info: Gen2000

Gen2000
4 weeks ago#17
I didn't get Vaccum Bomb yet, was wondering if you could get it since I saw the enemies have it. I can see how that is busted too since those type of moves is always insane for quick trash clearing in other games.

Howl is still no slouch it cancels a majority of enemy and even bosses actions, even against some who "super armor" their attack through the stun effect they still go into the stagger animation when they finish their attack if the duration is still in effect.

The weak flying enemies who can be ragdoll by Arm I don't mind them but the bigger ones are kind of obnoxious, you can Perfect Call + Sync Attack for instant knockdown which isn't that bad to do since their attack pattern is really basic like mention above. I need to incorporate it into my playstyle overall vs. multiple enemy types.
The Storm Is About To Rage.....

Tipsentech
4 weeks ago#18
Vs Flyers you can get two stronger Arm grabs by either putting Arm to your back, which causes him to launch his arm and sets up a back combo, or by wearing it.

A safer option is to not power shot their head but to powershot their back which will send them to the floor for free hits. You can hit their back by aiming at the ground behind.

If you are talking about a Hecate I think you are stuck with a Howl-chain bind combo because they don't react to much else. Even Howl goes away quick and I don't believe a gravity bomb works. They also release a sludge preventing melee so you'll need to wear Arm to escape after an air combo.

One f12 round spawned in 3 bosses at once. One fishy/power/howl axe combo killed all three, a single hit did 2000 damage. That's how good that is.

User Info: Raeng

Raeng
4 weeks ago#19
It is really weird how one of the cheapest drinks is so good. Fishy Water absolutely destroys any content, especially when paired with the Fusion.

> Power
I've been wondering, does it stack? So if you do Power with all 5 Legions, do you get it five times on top of each other?
http://www.stingermagazine.com - articles on the action genre's best.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC09UqeY80WzoWMnxRkL4Tkw - challenge runs.

Tipsentech
4 weeks ago#20
That's something I love about items in this game in the post-game, the way you get a set amount to clear a number of fights in a row you have to think strategically about when to use fishy water. Better than Bayo's pops which feel like straight cheating. You doing that no upgrade run? Maybe that makes them feel balanced a bit better. From dev streams before release it did seem that they wanted people to use items so it must be intended to be how the game plays but it is odd. Stuck between an RPG and an action game, I think RPG people love that kind of thing so maybe item overpowering is for them.

>Power
Pretty sure it just refreshes the skill. It doesn't last that long so I think even if you could stack it that the first one would fade by the time you stack number 5.
  1. Boards
  2. Astral Chain
  3. Tips and Tech Talk
  • Post New Message