The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Astral Chain
  3. Tips and Tech Talk

User Info: Tipsentech

Tipsentech
2 months ago#1
This is a topic for sharing useful advice as well as more niche tech. I've learned some useful tricks myself and I want to hear what others have discovered. If you are having trouble with dodge mechanics/unsafe attacks I believe I can help.

Parry- This Legion ability is vital and will change how you play. You have to commit to many attacks in this game and you can't dodge but you can still parry. It is now fine to commit to big attacks. When you parry your character is locked into that animation but your Legion can do whatever, if you are mid sync attack then the Legion part will complete. Spamming 360 baton sync with the Axe Legion melts most enemies if you cover it with parry, this also generates energy quick. After parry unlike dodge you can do whatever you like and because it stuns you can launch many enemies. Like with Perfect Call you can return ranged attacks with parry. Game plays like Revengeance now.

Blade Mode and Call Lock- Use Call Lock abilities on the Sword Legion. Blade mode, slash, dismiss Legion, resummon repeat. Infinite blade mode. Slow time while you do it, it's free, and Blade Mode time slow dodging becomes the fastest way to move about the arena. This works with Arrow Legion's bow mode too.

Blade Mode- Enemy's limbs light up when they attack, slice both with Blade mode to inflict stun. Pretty tricky when an enemy is moving. Instead you can parry or Perfect Call the enemy attack first, the enemy's limbs will still be lit up as they recoil. You can even launch an enemy into the air after a parry then slice their arms for a stun.

Arm Legion- Arm Legion can grab bigger enemies by holding punch if you wear it and you don't even have to stun them first. If you set a bomb in the ground first then pull the enemy into it then they will be launched into the air and vulnerable.

Berserk- There is a Legion you hate and don't use. Shove all your Berserk ability items on this guy and when you are low health it will become your favourite double damage Legion. It's Dog Legion, you barely use it.

Slide movement- Slides can dodge high hitting attacks, there is some start up though. Back forward with the gun is a slide as is your sprint attack. Very situational but looks cool. Back forward with the gun is generally a good move, paired with sword or axe even more so.

Gladius- The final hit from this weapon has greater stagger and will interrupt more powerful enemy attacks like the attacks of the big axe using monster.

Baton's hold hit with the Axe Legion sync is the coolest stinger attack ever made. I'm not normally the guy for this sort of topic and I've ran out of tips.

User Info: Beezlebubsy

Beezlebubsy
2 months ago#2
I dont know if I'd consider it tech but if you find yourself using a sync attack when an enemy is winding something up of their own and you know you'll get hit through the sync animation, as soon as the flash is gone (even if you hit the button to sync) you can dodge to cancel out of the animation (at least with sword legion, him and Axe are my main damage dealers) saved my life a good few times on Ultimate

User Info: BlakOut-

BlakOut-
2 months ago#3
Not sure if these are techs but

Axe Legion: If you stack reduce cooldowns on him, you can spam his bomb skill because the cool down is so short

A simple one is you can stack Power Charge and Speed Star. So if you want, you can have both on one legion as a dedicated buffer, and if you switch legion the buffs will transfer to both you and your new legion.

Tipsentech
2 months ago#4
BlakOut- posted...
Not sure if these are techs but

Axe Legion: If you stack reduce cooldowns on him, you can spam his bomb skill because the cool down is so short

A simple one is you can stack Power Charge and Speed Star. So if you want, you can have both on one legion as a dedicated buffer, and if you switch legion the buffs will transfer to both you and your new legion.

This is for tips and gameplay discussion too so this is fine. I did this myself, both these things, for a long while until I realised that the bomb recharged fast enough on its own to be pretty spammable. Speed Star lasts long enough that it almost matches its cooldown but mainly I felt bad for consigning a Legion to the role of power up bot rather than learning how it worked. I thought about using it for Howl spam too but if I switch off Beast I don't think the cooldown counted. Still I'm sure this works for some just not for me.

In the end I stacked attack on Axe instead so that the bombs hurt more. The bomb sends some enemies all over the place so you often can't land another one right away and if it doesn't send enemies flying its usually better off to combo.

Crit Damage- Back attacks count as a lesser kind of crit so this boosts damage on back attacks but not by the 300% a full load claims. It close to doubles your back attack damage if you stack them.

Tipsentech
2 months ago#5
Back Attacks and Hit Away- Back attacks cause enemy's to take greater hit reactions. Most notably with attacks that hit people away into the distance. Many enemies need to be made dizzy before they can be hit away but with a back attack you can knock them flying so long as they are in a state where they could normally be juggled. You can even get a second juggle if both the launchers are back attacks, this requires you to be on one side of the monster and your Legion to be on the other. Legion launches first on the enemy back which causes it to rise and face the Legion then the player launches with baton.

There are Legion sync attacks where the enemy is hit up into the air then there are follow up hits that don't land or cause an effect, starting those on the back lets the whole thing work normally.

This gives hit rush more use as a distraction so you can back attack. Back forward punch with the Arm Legion hitting someones back sends them the furthest by a large amount.

Bow Mode- If you land a headshot on an enemy while they are in a vulnerable state(recovering or not attacking) you can move in close, in Bow Mode time slowed down, then switch Legion to a melee type and launch the enemy into the air for melee combos. This must be a headshot to work.

Bow Charge Shot- This is much more useful than I realised. This is a hit away attack, it has aoe, it is ranged. What this means is that you can aim a shot at the ground behind an enemy to launch them forwards, most enemies are vulnerable to a combo after this. The conditions for this working are the same as a headshot above and you can often confirm if it will work by landing a headshot first.

If you juggle an enemy you can then go into Bow Mode, slow time and perform Bow Charge Shot to their back to send them flying and vulnerable. Why this is useful is because enemies can dodge out of a juggle but not a hit away. At least as far as I know.

These moves are going to vary per enemy. Beasts tend to no sell a headshot but are sent across the room by a Bow Charge Shot. Likewise some bosses are very badly stunned by bow charge shot, a certain female boss spends a year on the floor if you land a hit right. Power and Arm Chimera this stuff doesn't really work on except the headshot for example. There's trial and error on figuring out what move works where in this game, feels like a lack of polish at times to be honest.

Chain Jump- It's a small thing but if you do this to an enemy's back then it is a hit away attack, looks cool in a juggle. Again enemies have to be vulnerable first.

User Info: Raeng

Raeng
2 months ago#6
Currently have a pretty neato setup down. Start with Axe Legion, use buff Speed and shield-buff. Switch to Arms, use Attack buff and then use unchain. Switch to Sword, activate Summoned Swords, use the chain-whip to stun them, do stun combo into launcher. Switch to BladeWolf, use Howl, use the dizzy launcher with Axe for aerial combo that ends in a delayed bomb being stuck in them. Quickly use the shield-attack where you put a blade into the ground. Absolutely melts things. Usually an OHKO on every foe. Takes about 30-50% HP away from regular bosses too. Doesn't work on the final boss.

It's far from optimal though, but also gives a good ranking since you use so many abilities and legions. Afterwards I tend to use the chain-move with Beast where the chain becomes red and some headshots with Arrow. But yeah a fully buffed Summoned Swords wrecks. Great move.
http://www.stingermagazine.com - articles on the action genre's best.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC09UqeY80WzoWMnxRkL4Tkw - challenge runs.

Tipsentech
2 months ago#7
Raeng posted...
Currently have a pretty neato setup down. Start with Axe Legion, use buff Speed and shield-buff. Switch to Arms, use Attack buff and then use unchain. Switch to Sword, activate Summoned Swords, use the chain-whip to stun them, do stun combo into launcher. Switch to BladeWolf, use Howl, use the dizzy launcher with Axe for aerial combo that ends in a delayed bomb being stuck in them. Quickly use the shield-attack where you put a blade into the ground. Absolutely melts things. Usually an OHKO on every foe. Takes about 30-50% HP away from regular bosses too. Doesn't work on the final boss.

It's far from optimal though, but also gives a good ranking since you use so many abilities and legions. Afterwards I tend to use the chain-move with Beast where the chain becomes red and some headshots with Arrow. But yeah a fully buffed Summoned Swords wrecks. Great move.

No kidding this does destroy, chain whip means chain wrap and stun combo is chain sync? This with a gravity bomb at the start if it wasn't a boss was my lazy mode setup. Although I used perfect call with the sword which makes me wonder if I was missing out. Now I just mess about but if I want something done I go to that, particularly for chasing rank. Sometimes for rank chasing mashing and parrying works better for me though because I'm lazy.

Don't you feel bad about making the dog a howl slave? This also reminds me-

Super Armour Omega- With Super Armour Omega Hit Rush Legions can't be swatted away. Must be equipped on current Legion not the rusher. Dog's Hit Rush has a launcher so I imagine it can open an enemy up if timed right.

User Info: Raeng

Raeng
2 months ago#8
I tend to use the Dog for the heated chain (whatever it is called) as well, has some great setups with it if your positioning is on point. Its 360Baton Synch is fantastic too if you managed to chain-wrap a group, flinging him around like a jo-jo.
http://www.stingermagazine.com - articles on the action genre's best.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC09UqeY80WzoWMnxRkL4Tkw - challenge runs.

Tipsentech
2 months ago#9
I've never thought to combine those moves, I use Dog as a back attacker so I might give heat chain a look in.

Legion Positioning- You can control Legion auto attacks by changing chain length and positioning, in a no upgrade playthrough this would give you access to quick launchers. Hold the Legion button down to move a Legion around then release. Distance from foe= Short range- 1 metre. Mid range- 2-6 metres. Long range- Full chain.

Sword. Short- Quick strikes Mid- A slam. A slice. A launcher. Can't pick which.
Dog- Short- Quick strikes. Mid- Twist Claw, very strong hit.
Bow- Nothing changes.

Axe- Position the Axe around the enemy's back and he will go berserk with a quick strong combo ending in a sword impale. Might want to get round back with a quick Legion then switch.I think it's more important to keep the enemy between you and Axe than who they face.

Arm- Short- Combo. Mid- Uppercut launcher. Long- Grab.

Arm is the most interesting, it made me slap speed boosts on him just to check him out. The uppercut is more reliable than I thought it would be, it comes out pretty much as soon as you stop moving him. The grab however is even better. If you move arm all the way behind you then start slicing up your target Arm will shoot out his hand and drag them away from you. This sets up an enemy for a longer combo but it also puts him right in between you and the Arm Legion.

User Info: MegaKirby

MegaKirby
2 months ago#10
Putting Self-Destruct +800% on the Arm Legion is really fun and effective. I never liked how ridiculous the energy drain on the armor mode dodge was, but with this it turns around completely. Do 4-5 quick boosts and you'll drain all your energy in a quick moment, and then you're a mini-nuke.

It can also count as a critical attack if you hit enemies from behind, so it has a little extra synergy as you can boost right behind enemies as it'll proc, and I imagine you can build around it even further with critical damage buffs.

And another thing that may be obvious, and was even mentioned in passing in this topic, but for my first playthrough I had no idea that Hit Rush lets you switch to another Legion during the attack, I wish I'd had known earlier. I really underestimated the skill, it feels almost like you have control of two Legions at once when you mess around with it.

Great tips in this topic, I'm having a blast with the 'infinite Blade Mode' and bow charge shot launching tricks. This combat system has so much potential if you want to get stylish. I've been toying around with this combo for starters:

Use Air Shot from a decent distance behind the enemy, quickly switch to the Axe Legion and use Crash Bomb immediately, recall the Legion. While Air Shot is now launching the enemy upwards, switch to the Bow Legion again and immediately go into the slow motion aim and fire a charge shot at the airborne enemy, sending them flying into the bomb you placed.

Efficient? Heck no, but man does it feel slick to be able to do things like this with Legions.
Use power for the right things. At least for the things that you believe in. ~ Dingo Egret - Zone of the Enders 2
  1. Boards
  2. Astral Chain
  3. Tips and Tech Talk
  • Topic Archived