• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Astral Chain
  3. Which game is better, Astral Chain or DMC 5?

User Info: Luna_the_wolf

Luna_the_wolf
4 weeks ago#31
Neither of them are all that good to be honest.

User Info: OracleGunner

OracleGunner
4 weeks ago#32
Luna_the_wolf posted...
Neither of them are all that good to be honest.

You've yet to prove you've played either to judge them.
The Unofficial Iron Castle That Smashes Through Mountains of every board in the multiverse. People who got it:6
The Official Tlaloc of the SMT IV board.

User Info: ZeroX91

ZeroX91
4 weeks ago#33
DJ_0000 posted...
DMC5 is more polished but also very paint by numbers, the game feels rather re-hashy in every area (combat, story, characters, etc). They added a couple new features but the game feels like something you've experienced many times before.

Astral Chain is a lot more fresh in it's ideas and feels much more unique but has a few niggling issues (frame rate, camera, awkward lock on, etc).

Both are fantastic games, and my favourites of this year but I would recommend Astral Chain more because it feels more fresh and unique. Play DMC5 when you get a chance though, it's a very good game.

Demon sword Dante provides way more interesting combat than Legions (at least in this game) as do the devil breakers and Nero's devil trigger.
Waving the flag is fun.

User Info: Raeng

Raeng
4 weeks ago#34
They both play very different. Devil May Cry 5 is more of a 'typical' action game, and has the pleasure of a high budget and finally offering a finished(ish) version of Devil May Cry 4. It doesn't innovate anything in the slightest, and if you've played any action game over the past 10-20 years you're bound to find it easy to get into.

Astral Chain is more different. Platinum Games, barring Bayonetta, tends to like to make different types of action games just like in the days when they were still Clover Studios. There aren't a lot of games that play like it, that alone is refreshing. It does some things fantastically, others not so well. But it is a good experience.

Personally I'd recommend Astral Chain first, but be sure to play DMCV as it's really good as well.

megamannerd posted...
DMC5 the combat feels better, the levels are more interesting, the secrets are more fun to get and don't feel like a chore, redoing old levels does not feel like a drag, and it has better music.

Curious to hear someone call their levels more interesting. Do you mean in terms of layout or design? Because in case of the latter I always felt they all looked way too similar with very dull art-design. Just look at this:

https://i.imgtc.ws/Ykb2FyT.jpg

Which mission is this? Maybe I photoshopped Dante in, maybe I didn't.
You generally cannot tell, baring a few of the first Nero missions, most of the content past Mission 10 looks frightfully similar.

What made the secrets more interesting to you? They felt pretty shallow to me, not playing into the game's strenghts in DMCV, compared to side investigations here or hidden Hermit shops which were almost like Doom's old secrets. Music is very personal, but I can't really see people liking a tracks like "subhuman" or "Crimson Cloud" more than "Dark Heroine" or "Harmoney Square Station" or some of the other great tracks in Astral Chain.

ZeroX91 posted...
Demon sword Dante provides way more interesting combat than Legions (at least in this game) as do the devil breakers and Nero's devil trigger.

That's your conclusion, I'd like to hear the reasoning behind it. To me the DSD was just auto-summoned swords and moves ripped out of other weapons (like Drive). Sin DT added some flair to the combat, but it didn't really innovate anything. Nero's DT didn't add anything beyond it's DMC4 itteration as I recall beyond the extra punches, while losing DMC4's "Genei Jin" effect.

Meanwhile Astral Chain offers a ton of freedom in its moveset and legions, which is where its appeal comes from. Setting up a slow-shot, followed by putting Arm Legion behind a foe and do 360ZL for a great backstab while you whail from the front or on another foe to divide and conquer; that's just one example. You're really free to make your own setups with the tools available, where positioning plays a pretty big part. Sure, you can technically mash your way to victory, but that's every action game on Normal, which my fiance sadly proved a while back beating Ninja Gaiden Black on normal mashing away.
http://www.stingermagazine.com - articles on the action genre's best.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC09UqeY80WzoWMnxRkL4Tkw - challenge runs.

User Info: Raeng

Raeng
4 weeks ago#35
5hadows posted...
Bayo 1
Ninja Gaiden 1&2
MGR
DMC3 & 1
Edit: GoW 1 and 2
etc.

And that's on the "HnS genre alone", DMC5 isn't even universally accepted as the best DMC entry lol.

Haven't touched AC yet but so far it sounds way more rich(mechanic-wise) than DMC5 by miles.

On the topic of Astral Chain, really, get it. It is Platinum's most mechanically tight game since Vanquish. Everything people like you, me, SBK etc. have been wanting in a game is in here. It really feels like their take on classic God of War if that makes any sense, in terms of vision, which you can also see in the general reaction i.e. "lol just square square triangle, no depth".
http://www.stingermagazine.com - articles on the action genre's best.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC09UqeY80WzoWMnxRkL4Tkw - challenge runs.

User Info: 5hadows

5hadows
4 weeks ago#36
Raeng posted...
5hadows posted...
Bayo 1
Ninja Gaiden 1&2
MGR
DMC3 & 1
Edit: GoW 1 and 2
etc.

And that's on the "HnS genre alone", DMC5 isn't even universally accepted as the best DMC entry lol.

Haven't touched AC yet but so far it sounds way more rich(mechanic-wise) than DMC5 by miles.

On the topic of Astral Chain, really, get it. It is Platinum's most mechanically tight game since Vanquish. Everything people like you, me, SBK etc. have been wanting in a game is in here. It really feels like their take on classic God of War if that makes any sense, in terms of vision, which you can also see in the general reaction i.e. "lol just square square triangle, no depth".

I'm on the same boat as Birdman. I'm getting it and there's nothing stopping me from eventually buying the game, it's more of a question of when I'll set aside some shekels to buy a Switch and get it and many other games I'm interested in buying.
Ill add something here later....

User Info: Darth_Havok

Darth_Havok
4 weeks ago#37
If TC thinks Adam and Eve are too Emo, then LOL when he plays V
XBOX GT: Guilty Griever
PSN: Darth-Griever

User Info: KANE_79

KANE_79
3 weeks ago#38
Astral Chain was fun to play, DMC5 was not.
Watch Out for Fireballs! A retro and non-current games podcast.
http://www.watchoutforfireballs.com

User Info: jcgonzmo

jcgonzmo
3 weeks ago#39
Darth_Havok posted...
If TC thinks Adam and Eve are too Emo, then LOL when he plays V

Hahaha

User Info: RollingSkull

RollingSkull
3 weeks ago#40
Raeng posted...
Curious to hear someone call their levels more interesting. Do you mean in terms of layout or design? Because in case of the latter I always felt they all looked way too similar with very dull art-design. Just look at this:

https://i.imgtc.ws/Ykb2FyT.jpg

Which mission is this? Maybe I photoshopped Dante in, maybe I didn't.
You generally cannot tell, baring a few of the first Nero missions, most of the content past Mission 10 looks frightfully similar.

There's not much room to call DMC5's levels interesting but compared to the competition, they're probably the absolute best in the genre outside of Bayo 2, Transformers Devastation, and ... yes... Astral Chain just because they don't have awful platforming or puzzle bulls*** wasting your time. I'll take 200 DMC5 zzzz levels over one more DMC4 garbage grapple hook or senseless winding maze or similar crap.

If you factor out the RPG stuff, which Astral Chain allows you to on replay, AC's levels are an inarguably solidly paced mix of puzzle and platforming, except for that awful top down segment on the road to the giant homunculous egg near the end.
"I mean, come ON! Kill me?! Who HASN'T tried?!"
-- Mike Nelson, Mystery Science Theater 3000
  1. Boards
  2. Astral Chain
  3. Which game is better, Astral Chain or DMC 5?
  • Post New Message