• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Astral Chain
  3. Platforming is by far the worst part of this game

User Info: Dharengo

Dharengo
1 month ago#11
Have you tried not getting caught on things while chain jumping? Works for me.

User Info: -FSL

-FSL
1 month ago#12
Dharengo posted...
Have you tried not getting caught on things while chain jumping? Works for me.
The issue isn't trying, the issue is that trying doesn't guarantee you'll do it. Collision with the Legion and the stage geometry can make you land somewhere outside your target.
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/gothwood9

User Info: Dharengo

Dharengo
1 month ago#13
The legion moves aside when you jump though....

User Info: BMcDohl

BMcDohl
1 month ago#14
Not always, it doesn't. It's inconsistent when it happens, but incredibly frustrating when it does.
Estuans interius, ira vehementi, Sephiroth!
Burning inside, with violent anger, Sephiroth!

User Info: RadioParker106

RadioParker106
1 month ago#15
The way the beast handles is my only real issue with the platforming. You could be five feet from an edge and just to turn around it will swing you all the way across the platform and over the edge for some reason.
-Till all are one

User Info: Runeweaver

Runeweaver
1 month ago#16
Carrying Ice cream or boxes is the worst part of the game by far.

User Info: Luna_the_wolf

Luna_the_wolf
1 month ago#17
The one complaint I actually agree with in this topic is that the damage for falling into a pit is way too much. I guess there has to be a real penalty or there would be no reason to try to be careful, but they could halve or even third the damage and it would still be enough of a sting to encourage more care in movement.

The only thing that almost mitigates the falling damage is the fact that almost every enemy in the game is a potential free full heal. But still, a hard platforming challenge in certain parts of the game can really sap your health right before you need it the most.
(edited 1 month ago)

-FSL
1 month ago#18
Dharengo posted...
Not if it's against the wall. Or bulky like the Arm Legion. Or just inconsistent.

Runeweaver posted...
At least those aren't core mechanics.

Luna_the_wolf posted...
The one complaint I actually agree with in this topic is that the damage for falling into a pit is way too much. I guess there has to be a real penalty or there would be no reason to try to be careful, but they could halve or even third the damage and it would still be enough of a sting to encourage more care in movement.
I think making platforming more reliable would be a better solution than nerfing the damage from falling. It does the amount of damage that a mini-med can pretty much heal, and assuming you don't ride the pit to 1HP, you can always just kill off minion-tier chimera for a full heal.
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: Luna_the_wolf

Luna_the_wolf
1 month ago#19
-FSL posted...
Dharengo posted...
Not if it's against the wall. Or bulky like the Arm Legion. Or just inconsistent.

Runeweaver posted...
At least those aren't core mechanics.

Luna_the_wolf posted...
I think making platforming more reliable would be a better solution than nerfing the damage from falling. It does the amount of damage that a mini-med can pretty much heal, and assuming you don't ride the pit to 1HP, you can always just kill off minion-tier chimera for a full heal.

I'm not sure how it's not reliable. You can see exactly where you are going to land, in most cases. The only really bulls*** moments are when you have to try to jump across or avoid pits in the middle of combat
(edited 1 month ago)

-FSL
1 month ago#20

Luna_the_wolf posted...
I'm not sure how it's not reliable. You can see exactly where you are going to land, in most cases.
That's one of the issues, the other one is that there are some chain jumps (notably ones that use the advanced chain jump or those where you're trying to jump between an opening in a guardrail) where you can get caught on the decorations. You're much wider than the chain, so if you jump too close to a wall, you'll snag it. Another issue is that when the chain acts too realistically and you can't exactly see the straight line you'll be traveling, so you unintentionally get caught on surrounding surfaces. Sometimes the camera can be positioned in a way that makes perceiving depth a bit difficult (mostly noticed this on the area before the final boss).

-FSL posted...
Dharengo posted...
Sorry adding onto this, if you're chain jumping to a higher surface, you get pushed off the edge by the Legion if you jump too close, but snag the wall if you push the Legion too far back.
  1. Boards
  2. Astral Chain
  3. Platforming is by far the worst part of this game
  • Post New Message