• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Astral Chain
  3. No reason our protagonist has to be silent.

User Info: enkidu52

enkidu52
1 month ago#81
MechaFlo posted...
Role playing is more than just appearance. In this case the game lacks 'role playing' in the sense of getting to define your character with actions or choices that define the character and the way the story unfolds. Like said above, fallout new vegas. Or an elder scrolls game, or dragon age origins etc.

Your have no choices that affect the actual story and your dialog choices are limited to declining side quests or saying the same thing in two slightly different ways.

Which isn't a problem in and of itself. Not every game needs to have that sort of thing...but if you're going to go for a silent protagonist that doesn't emote much or speak in cutscenes etc, you ought to have somethign to justify it or it feels lazy and weird.

Well thought out and constructed consideration of role playing, I kind of forgave the “silent protagonist” thing since I like the game so much but that shouldn’t stop me from trying to be objective

So I agree that without any real agency in the narrative the choice of a silent protagonist sticks out as odd

And yes possibly a cost-cutting technique/lazy

User Info: Luna_the_wolf

Luna_the_wolf
1 month ago#82
B...b...but I thought I was the only one who didn't like the whole silent protagonist thing. LMAO.

User Info: raphaelz

raphaelz
1 month ago#83
Imagine Bayonetta or DMC with silent protagonists. I think Astral Chain is the type of game that really needed a charismatic protagonist. The setting's post-futuristic bleakness should have been contrasted with a protagonist that actually has fun and enjoys controlling legions (plus showing sadness at what happens in File 02).

User Info: CyricsServant

CyricsServant
1 week ago#84
I beat the game this weekend at that epilogue narration really caught me off guard. For those who beat the game, you know why.

I just don’t understand what they were thinking going with a silent protagonist.

That aside, this was a great game. The Switch is killing it in the second half of 2019.

User Info: TheLastSmile

TheLastSmile
6 days ago#85
The silent protagonist is the best, most innovative feature I have ever seen and I love this game for creating it, I'm so tired of having a personality projected onto me, frankly I think it is toxic of games like Grand Theft Auto to force me into doing meth and beating up old ladies with a hammer, pouring gasoline on them and lighting it up, it's really really going to put me in a bad headspace, but this game allows me to hear the voices in my head, and they are always making slurping sounds while they tell me to kill the invisible demons, sorry for long post
Yes it's me.
Switch FC: 5920 3665 4896 ___ DDDA (NS) Pawn ID: 2DB7-6AD6-B4A6
(edited 6 days ago)

User Info: kiba312

kiba312
6 days ago#86
raphaelz posted...
Imagine Bayonetta or DMC with silent protagonists. I think Astral Chain is the type of game that really needed a charismatic protagonist. The setting's post-futuristic bleakness should have been contrasted with a protagonist that actually has fun and enjoys controlling legions (plus showing sadness at what happens in File 02).

Yea with how little the MC talks, they may as well be a Legion.

They could've made the MC talk sparingly. Sure it wouldn't give them that much character, but it would've shown that they are the silent one of the pair of twins.
Switch FC: SW-7023-5202-9153
LoL IGN: inplane, Battle.net: inplane#1750

User Info: Sentinel07

Sentinel07
5 days ago#87
The way I see it, it pretty much shows the difference in mentality regarding self-insert characters between Japanese and Western developers.

The way Astral Chain handles it's silent protagonist is similar to many other silent protagonists in other Japanese games (Zelda, Persona, Fire Emblem: Three Houses, etc).

Where as with Western developers, you end up with stuff like Elder Scrolls, Mass Effect, etc.
  1. Boards
  2. Astral Chain
  3. No reason our protagonist has to be silent.
  • Post New Message