• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Astral Chain
  3. No reason our protagonist has to be silent.

User Info: CyricsServant

CyricsServant
4 weeks ago#61
LinkPizza posted...
Actually, it can be harder. Working around them not saying anything. Anyone can give them a personality. Even a s***ty one. Working around having to give them a set personality, and making it so you can easily attached most personalities on them and still have it go with what the other characters are saying can be difficult.

I agree that making a GOOD silent protagonist takes a significant amount of vision and effort . . . However, the silent protagonist we got in this game is NOT a good one by any stretch of the imagination.

I'm not very far into the game, but the protagonist almost ruined the climactic and emotional end to File 2 for me. He was basically just background scenery while Akira did all of the emoting, and literally had to be dragged away by the rest of squad. Then he just stood there like an emotionless doll while his father was attacked by four unchained legions not more than 5 meters away from him. He doesn't lift a finger to help, or even express something resembling human emotion. He just stands in place for a solid 60 seconds while his dad spouts emotional one-sided dialogue at him (which he hardly seems to acknowledge). Then when he's sent back through the gate, does he console his emotionally distraught twin sister, whom he presumably shares a close link with? Nope, he just stands off to the side with a mostly-blank expression on his face while Jin intervenes and hugs it out with her. The whole thing was just . . . bad. Outside of the protagonist going super saiyan to save the day, he had about as much importance and presence in those cut-scenes as a neglected houseplant.

It's just clear to me the devs really fumbled this character, at least in the early part of the game.
(edited 4 weeks ago)

User Info: Dracandracos

Dracandracos
4 weeks ago#62
Everything said above. I love a lot of things about this game but the protagonist is not one of them. Absolutely the single worst handled thing in the game other than File 8.

User Info: Banjo2553

Banjo2553
4 weeks ago#63
CyricsServant posted...
LinkPizza posted...
Actually, it can be harder. Working around them not saying anything. Anyone can give them a personality. Even a s***ty one. Working around having to give them a set personality, and making it so you can easily attached most personalities on them and still have it go with what the other characters are saying can be difficult.

I agree that making a GOOD silent protagonist takes a significant amount of vision and effort . . . However, the silent protagonist we got in this game is NOT a good one by any stretch of the imagination.

I'm not very far into the game, but the protagonist almost ruined the climactic and emotional end to File 2 for me. He was basically just background scenery while Akira did all of the emoting, and literally had to be dragged away by the rest of squad. Then he just stood there like an emotionless doll while his father was attacked by four unchained legions not more than 5 meters away from him. He doesn't lift a finger to help, or even express something resembling human emotion. He just stands in place for a solid 60 seconds while his dad spouts emotional one-sided dialogue at him (which he hardly seems to acknowledge). Then when he's sent back through the gate, does he console his emotionally distraught twin sister, whom he presumably shares a close link with? Nope, he just stands off to the side with a mostly-blank expression on his face while Jin intervenes and hugs it out with her. The whole thing was just . . . bad. Outside of the protagonist going super saiyan to save the day, he had about as much importance and presence in those cut-scenes as a neglected houseplant.

It's just clear to me the devs really fumbled this character, at least in the early part of the game.

And to top it all off? They have your character fully voiced explaining what happened after the events of file 11 when you get into postgame. That's what makes it truly bizarre and makes me wonder why they couldn't have just done that for the rest of the game.
Game collection: http://www.backloggery.com/bakonbitz
Gaming channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwVQm69J7bGScbv3_50C0dA

User Info: Triforceformer

Triforceformer
4 weeks ago#64
Hard agree on not liking the silent protag.

Voiced protagonist talking s*** with their sibling, pleading with Dad to let them stay and fight, and actually interacting with everyone else? God that triples the entertainment value of the story right there. It's not even like Joker from P5 where you get multiple dialogue choices that indicate some level of distinct personality. MC Howard doesn't have a "Time to Button Mash" moment or anything of the sort besides maybe the Lappy sidequest? There's just nothing overall. All you get is the same 5 or so "This kind of sounds like hentai to me now because I've heard them so much and am not convinced by them" gasps and grunts during cutscenes or the occasional "mm" if they felt spicy.

In a Platinum Games game especially, a silent protagonist is just objectively inferior. The gameplay is all about all the absurd s*** your character can do in gameplay, and usually the characters themselves have personalities or interactions that compliment that. They don't need to be as bombastic as Bayonetta or Rising Raiden, but give me something.

Also Akira f***ing sucks.
TC is trying way too hard. You have to be more subtle with your initial trolling effort, then let it escalate. Look at what saLUEtes does and copy him. - arleas

User Info: douggawatts

douggawatts
4 weeks ago#65
It was kinda weak, since both characters have dialogue for all scenes depending on who you choose, and there is no reason your sibling had to deliver every single line, when your character could have done half of them since it was just general case-talk.

Instead of only being able to nod and go "Hum!"

User Info: Gen2000

Gen2000
4 weeks ago#66
I did find it odd with your sibling talking so much and MC only talking at the end of the game. There were some cutscenes that could have been heighten some if your MC just said a few simple words instead of grunting and gasping multiple times in dire/emotional situations. It's not like they couldn't have done it, they just simply choose not to which was weird.
The Storm Is About To Rage.....
(edited 4 weeks ago)

User Info: Lukathegreat

Lukathegreat
4 weeks ago#67
I'm sick of it as well.
Fire Emblem, this, now DaemonXMachina, pls stop
It's ridiculous especially at the end, Akira asks you to kill her, you like, agree, pretty dramatic scene huh? You prepare the sword, and all you can say the whole time is "Mh." I was, like, "JUST SHOUT YOUR SISTER NAME FOR F^^K SAKE"

Japanese need to understand they can create a good character that also talks, it's not mandatory to mute it for the sake of it. Stop being lazy and put some effort in the dialogues, devs.
(edited 4 weeks ago)
The reason why games keeps having silent protags especially if you can customize the protag appearance is the developers know most gamers want to SI for power fantasy and a blank MC is the easiest to do this.

Also they want the epilogue to have bigger impact

User Info: Triforceformer

Triforceformer
4 weeks ago#69
HooliganComboFT posted...
The reason why games keeps having silent protags especially if you can customize the protag appearance is the developers know most gamers want to SI for power fantasy and a blank MC is the easiest to do this.

Also they want the epilogue to have bigger impact

Meanwhile the most famous spectacle fighter games are that famous because, in part, they have distinct and memorable main characters who define the experience and compliment the gameplay. They don't need a nerd projecting onto them to make the experience worthwhile.

And I'm sure Taura thought the MC talking in the epilogue was "The Big Moment" that justified/brought together them being silent otherwise. In practice it just confused me as to who was talking at first, and frustrated me in the "oh NOW you talk" way.
TC is trying way too hard. You have to be more subtle with your initial trolling effort, then let it escalate. Look at what saLUEtes does and copy him. - arleas
(edited 4 weeks ago)

User Info: Thanatos2k

Thanatos2k
4 weeks ago#70
I don't even understand why they're silent. You don't even make any important decisions that effect the plot. How can it be an audience insert? They should have talked. And I'm sick of them throwing a tagalong character along with you JUST so there can be dialogue to fill the silence. It's incredibly obvious they're doing it too.
  1. Boards
  2. Astral Chain
  3. No reason our protagonist has to be silent.
  • Post New Message