• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Astral Chain
  3. No reason our protagonist has to be silent.

User Info: Dharengo

Dharengo
2 months ago#51
I just want to restress that nobody is obligated to like it. At some point it comes down to personal preference. I just won't stand for the whole 'save money on voice lines' narrative which is just patently false.

User Info: LinkPizza

LinkPizza
2 months ago#52
Dharengo posted...
I just want to restress that nobody is obligated to like it. At some point it comes down to personal preference. I just won't stand for the whole 'save money on voice lines' narrative which is just patently false.

Well, I don’t think people should think that, as both are fully voiced...
Official King of Kings
Switch FC: 7216-4417-4511 Add Me because I'll probably add you. I'm probably the LinkPizza you'll see around.

User Info: Dharengo

Dharengo
2 months ago#53
Both versions of Akira are fully voiced. The player is not.

It's more like, it's not like they save much money since if the protagonist were voiced, Akira and Hal would have about that many less lines. Since they take turns being the fairy.

Except they also have lives and personalities of their own beyond being the player's proxy voice. In that regard they're better than most fairy characters in Zelda games.
(edited 2 months ago)

User Info: MechaFlo

MechaFlo
2 months ago#54
They didn't need more voice acting, more and better dialog options as well as facial expression from the PC would have gotten the job done without needing to record more dialog.

User Info: Burdicus

Burdicus
2 months ago#55
Of all the trolling and whining and exaggerating that people will do to undercut this game... this complaint I feel is totally valid. The silent protagonist does nothing for the game. Scrap the idea of twins and just have one voiced protagonist (hell, even make it selectable to be either male or female and use both voices and the game would be praised to high heaven for that).
It's been a while.

User Info: CyricsServant

CyricsServant
2 months ago#56
Dharengo posted...
Calling it 'lazy' is bulls***. They actually had to jump through a bunch of hoops to make sure there was someone present whenever a conversation has to happen. Giving the character a voice and personality would have been less effort, not more.

So including a mute, expressionless avatar is more involved and difficult than writing unique dialogue, getting a competent voice actor to record that dialogue, lip syncing it, and making sure the character emotes during cutscenes. . . Riiiiiight.

Don’t get me wrong, there’s clearly a way to do a silent protagonist “right” and people have provided a few good examples in this thread. From what I’ve seen of this game so far though, the player avatar is a text book example of a bad silent protagonist. The game itself is story-driven and lacks player agency, the protagonist isn’t very expressive, they make weird grunts occassionally instead of verbalizing their response, they have an established back story with established motivations instead of letting the player select them for roleplaying purposes . . . and apparently they’re even randomly voice acted for the epilogue . . . At least according to a poster in another thread. It just seems like PG did everything wrong with this protagonist if they wanted them to be silent.

This is still a great game mind you, but it’s clear to me that the protagonist was mishandled.
(edited 2 months ago)

User Info: kylemcauliffe15

kylemcauliffe15
2 months ago#57
"I don't like intentional aesthetic choice, that means I am the purveyor of such and anyone who does it is just lazy"
PSN: Gasshu-kun
The thermometer of success is merely the jealousy of the malcontents. - Salvador Dali
(message deleted)

User Info: BakonBitz

BakonBitz
2 months ago#59
I agree with the sentiment that silent protags need some semblance of choice in order to help you get in the role. I felt taken out of my character's role when in File 06 she was curious enough to go into a restricted area despite consequences. I'm personally a stickler for following orders (unless said orders feel wrong to me) so I would've rather talked Hal out of going than just be "oh yeah I'll go with you and risk getting imprisoned, sure."
Game collection: http://www.backloggery.com/bakonbitz
Gaming channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwVQm69J7bGScbv3_50C0dA
(edited 2 months ago)

User Info: LinkPizza

LinkPizza
2 months ago#60
CyricsServant posted...
So including a mute, expressionless avatar is more involved and difficult than writing unique dialogue, getting a competent voice actor to record that dialogue, lip syncing it, and making sure the character emotes during cutscenes. . . Riiiiiight.

Actually, it can be harder. Working around them not saying anything. Anyone can give them a personality. Even a s***ty one. Working around having to give them a set personality, and making it so you can easily attached most personalities on them and still have it go with what the other characters are saying can be difficult.
Official King of Kings
Switch FC: 7216-4417-4511 Add Me because I'll probably add you. I'm probably the LinkPizza you'll see around.
  1. Boards
  2. Astral Chain
  3. No reason our protagonist has to be silent.
  • Post New Message