• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Astral Chain
  3. No reason our protagonist has to be silent.

User Info: MechaFlo

MechaFlo
1 month ago#41
Naruzeldamaster posted...
Dialogue options are important with a silent protag: they need to be well written just like any other character and this is what most silent protags get wrong.

This.

As well, again, it just works better IMO in a game where you have some agency over the story. In Undertale it's more immersive because you can choose who to kill and spare and get several different endings depending on your choices. In Dragon Age Origins your choices have ramifications on the plot and epilogue. You have some sense of agency in these games.

Not every game needs this kind of story agency but I find these are the environments where silent protagonists are effective. In a linear game like this where I'm supposed to be invested in say, the PC's bonds with Max and Akira etc, a silent protagonist doesn't work as well.

User Info: voxware

voxware
1 month ago#42
lol I got about 10 hrs into the game last night when it kind of hit me how silent this protagonist is. I'm asking myself so what's the biggest criticism so far and it's totally the lack of personality from my character. I kind of shrugged it off as like this is normal for a lot of games for you to insert yourself into them

User Info: Pharsti01

Pharsti01
1 month ago#43
There rarely is any reason for mute, blank protagonists.

Its just the devs being lazy, call it "avatar" or whatever, but it basically is an easy way to have one less character to worry about.

Not saying theyre all bad, for example, dialogue options can go a long way to help with this, but for that, they need to be competently written... which is not really a thing in here, your character is like a lifeless doll.

User Info: LinkPizza

LinkPizza
1 month ago#44
Pharsti01 posted...
There rarely is any reason for mute, blank protagonists.

Its just the devs being lazy, call it "avatar" or whatever, but it basically is an easy way to have one less character to worry about.

Not saying theyre all bad, for example, dialogue options can go a long way to help with this, but for that, they need to be competently written... which is not really a thing in here, your character is like a lifeless doll.

Maybe they didn’t want to write a character that some liked and some didn’t. I mean, a character with a personality would have people who liked them and people who didn’t. A blank slate character can usually get more likes because you can make them whatever you want... maybe...
Official King of Kings
Switch FC: 7216-4417-4511 Add Me because I'll probably add you. I'm probably the LinkPizza you'll see around.

User Info: Furryyiffer

Furryyiffer
1 month ago#45
That's kind of the problem tho. They DO have a personality and a voice and motivations and all that and it can be seen when you play as the other character. They aren't a blank slate, they are just completely stoic for the most part when you are playing.
Bayonetta trilogy coming to Switch. Let the hype consume you

User Info: Fezta

Fezta
1 month ago#46
Furryyiffer posted...
That's kind of the problem tho. They DO have a personality and a voice and motivations and all that and it can be seen when you play as the other character. They aren't a blank slate, they are just completely stoic for the most part when you are playing.

This. You can't pretend to have blank slate protagonist if they make all their choices on their own. Your character in Astral Chains makes choices with zero input from you, they are a defined character yet the devs felt some odd need to make you a silent weirdo. How can anyone project themself into someone they have no control over? I can't make him be a bad cop.
I want you to know I hate you personally.
My biggest beef for most silent protags, is there's never a REASON for them to be silent.
Did they commit some crime?
Are they just a Mute?
Were they an accomplice to some murder?
Was there an evil dark lord who cursed them so they can't reveal the knowledge of how to defeat them to others?

No, no, No and no, they are usually silent...just because.
Meaning I have no reason to care about why they are silent. And even less of a reason to care about them.

Like there are a few cases where dialogue options do come up.
But so often they have little to no characterization. And a common problem is those choices have no agency in the story as others have said.
Put this in your sig if you are against having another fire fighting starter.
Actually don't, gamefreak doesn't care about gamefaqs signatures.

User Info: pieisthebest

pieisthebest
1 month ago#48
Some of my favorite games have silent protagonists (Zelda, Chrono Trigger, DQ11, etc), but I still by far prefer speaking protagonists with actual personalities, and would absolutely prefer it here as well.
Use Jeigan.
http://i.imgur.com/XpayTUD.gifv

User Info: Dharengo

Dharengo
1 month ago#49
I don't see why you need branching choices to make a silent protagonist work. You just need imagination.

Calling it 'lazy' is bulls***. They actually had to jump through a bunch of hoops to make sure there was someone present whenever a conversation has to happen. Giving the character a voice and personality would have been less effort, not more.

I don't really care either way but at least I have enough imagination to deal with a self insert protagonist.

Also remember it's not like the character doesn't talk, the game just doesn't vocalize it and leaves it to your imagination. Thinking the game should acknowledge him as mute or similar means you have a fundamental misunderstanding for why protagonists are 'silent'. They don't NEED a 'reason' to be silent, because in-universe, they are not.
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: LinkPizza

LinkPizza
1 month ago#50
Dharengo posted...
I don't see why you need branching choices to make a silent protagonist work. You just need imagination.

Calling it 'lazy' is bulls***. They actually had to jump through a bunch of hoops to make sure there was someone present whenever a conversation has to happen. Giving the character a voice and personality would have been less effort, not more.

I don't really care either way but at least I have enough imagination to deal with a self insert protagonist.

Also remember it's not like the character doesn't talk, the game just doesn't vocalize it and leaves it to your imagination. Thinking the game should acknowledge him as mute or similar means you have a fundamental misunderstanding for why protagonists are 'silent'. They don't NEED a 'reason' to be silent, because in-universe, they are not.

Yeah. I think people forget that. He is saying stuff. Like Link. Link is telling everybody his name like all the time...
Official King of Kings
Switch FC: 7216-4417-4511 Add Me because I'll probably add you. I'm probably the LinkPizza you'll see around.
(edited 1 month ago)
  1. Boards
  2. Astral Chain
  3. No reason our protagonist has to be silent.
  • Post New Message