• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Astral Chain
  3. No reason our protagonist has to be silent.

User Info: MechaFlo

MechaFlo
1 month ago#31
Dharengo posted...
I still don't get it. The personal motivation is because I was curious. There was something fishy going on and I wanted to get to the bottom of it.

I was curious too but 'I was curious' didn't feel good enough for the CHARACTER for me personally given what you're doing.

User Info: Dharengo

Dharengo
1 month ago#32
.... But the character is me.

MechaFlo
1 month ago#33
Dharengo posted...

This game doesn't offer up nearly enough freedom of player choice for me to buy that angle. I think silent protagonists work better in more open ended, less linear games.
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: LinkPizza

LinkPizza
1 month ago#34
MechaFlo posted...
Dharengo posted...

This game doesn't offer up nearly enough freedom of player choice for me to buy that angle.

Really? I haven’t gotten far yet, but it’s doesn’t seem to hold you down that much...
Official King of Kings
Switch FC: 7216-4417-4511 Add Me because I'll probably add you. I'm probably the LinkPizza you'll see around.

User Info: Dharengo

Dharengo
1 month ago#35
You don't need to buy anything. Self insertion is a thing you have to do yourself. Nobody can do that for you.
(edited 1 month ago)

MechaFlo
1 month ago#36
LinkPizza posted...
MechaFlo posted...
Dharengo posted...

This game doesn't offer up nearly enough freedom of player choice for me to buy that angle.

Really? I haven’t gotten far yet, but it’s doesn’t seem to hold you down that much...

The story is entirely linear, and I haven't found a single meaningful choice to make in the story beyond 'do I do this side quest or not.'

Which is fine I have nothing against linear games, but I never feel like I"m making real story decisions as a player. For exmaple you don't have a choice whether or not to drop down and talk to the leader of the Hermits or not, you don't have a joice whether to jump and and help Roy and his partner at the end of that chapter or not, you don't have a choice whether to sneak into sector 09 or not. Which isn't a ciritcism of the game but I don't buy the silent protagonist as the player angle unless it's a game where you actually have some freedom in defining the character's journey or at least personlailty.

User Info: Wes62

Wes62
1 month ago#37
I'm not bothered by the silent protagonist like others are, but I think this game would have been fine with both twins voiced no matter who you pick.
Sig

User Info: LinkPizza

LinkPizza
1 month ago#38
Wes62 posted...
I'm not bothered by the silent protagonist like others are, but I think this game would have been fine with both twins voiced no matter who you pick.

I feel like that would have worked, as well...
Official King of Kings
Switch FC: 7216-4417-4511 Add Me because I'll probably add you. I'm probably the LinkPizza you'll see around.

MechaFlo
1 month ago#39
Wes62 posted...

It's not a huge issue for me, there's just a couple spots where I feel like voice acting could have helped flesh out the PC's motivations, though that also could have been done with some more dialogue choices for that purpose too.
LightEmperor posted...
Naruzeldamaster posted...
In this instance...yeah, there's no reason for a silent protag.
Link is the only good silent protag for years, you know why?
HES EXPRESSIVE!
He never/rarely talks, but he reacts.
Little things like shivering in a cold climate in a particular way (it even varies from game to game) add way more character.
Than just 'blank face that never reacts to anything in any way'

Seriously japanese devs, look at link, then look at your silent protag AND SEE HOW YOU F*ED UP!

And Zelda games don't really require detailed interaction on Link's side.

Whereas in this one, no reason for a silent protagonist at all. It forces a companion character like Hal to do the talking when the protagonist could have done it.

I mean, I don't mind companion characters. BUT if the silent protag can in fact talk, they should talk when it makes sense to. Unless it's confirmed that they are legit mute.

The few times link does talk is great, because he's characterized by how he speaks.

I point to a particular scene in Twilight Princess When Colin gets kidnapped (again)
Link doesn't have to yell 'get back here you B*' because his expression says it all.
In skyward sword and even breath of the wild he's really expressive.

In contrast, most silent protags are silent in every imaginable way.

Dialogue options are important with a silent protag: they need to be well written just like any other character and this is what most silent protags get wrong.
Put this in your sig if you are against having another fire fighting starter.
Actually don't, gamefreak doesn't care about gamefaqs signatures.
  1. Boards
  2. Astral Chain
  3. No reason our protagonist has to be silent.
  • Post New Message