2 months ago #49
I don't see why you need branching choices to make a silent protagonist work. You just need imagination.

Calling it 'lazy' is bulls***. They actually had to jump through a bunch of hoops to make sure there was someone present whenever a conversation has to happen. Giving the character a voice and personality would have been less effort, not more.

I don't really care either way but at least I have enough imagination to deal with a self insert protagonist.

Also remember it's not like the character doesn't talk, the game just doesn't vocalize it and leaves it to your imagination. Thinking the game should acknowledge him as mute or similar means you have a fundamental misunderstanding for why protagonists are 'silent'. They don't NEED a 'reason' to be silent, because in-universe, they are not.

Previous Versions
2 months ago
I don't see why you need branching choices to make a silent protagonist work. You just need imagination.

Calling it 'lazy' is bulls***. They actually had to jump through a bunch of hoops to make sure there was someone present whenever a conversation has to happen. Giving the character a voice and personality would have been less effort, not more.
2 months ago

I don't really care either way but at least I have enough imagination to deal with a self insert protagonist.
2 months ago

Also remember it's not like the character doesn't talk, the game just doesn't vocalize it and leaves it to your imagination.
2 months ago

Also remember it's not like the character doesn't talk, the game just doesn't vocalize it and leaves it to your imagination. Thinking the game should acknowledge him as mute or similar means you have a fundamental misunderstanding for why protagonists are 'silent'.