• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Super Mario Maker 2
  3. Will amiibo costumes come back? Detailed analysis with images. Also my thoughts.

User Info: re-memoryman3

re-memoryman3
3 weeks ago#1
So Super Mario Maker 2 is just under 2 months away and a feature that people may have been looking forward to are themed character costumes + amiibo support for them. They were a popular feature in Mario Maker 1, so they are almost certainly coming back? Right? Well the answer isn't quite clear cut.

Firstly, we do indeed know that theme specific powerups are making a return. Look at the debut trailer for evidence.

https://i.imgtc.com/AZIVDAA.jpg

The theme specific powerup is in the top left of the wheel. We have Propeller, Cat, Raccoon, and Feather confirmed, which leaves Mystery Mushroom left for SMB1.

However, there is evidence that might suggest that Mystery Mushrooms and amiibo support in general might be gone. For games with amiibo support on Switch, Nintendo show the amiibo logo right next to the age rating and price for amiibo supported games.

Smash Bros

https://imgtc.com/i/vOEMJEL.png

Yoshi

https://imgtc.com/i/AL9X4xv.png

Captain Toad Switch

https://imgtc.com/i/rAJxz5F.png

Super Mario Maker 2

https://imgtc.com/i/z3AnH61.png

The amiibo logo is gone in the SMM2 section. Also, we see Big Mario in Modern Colors without the CRT filter...so does that mean that amiibo support and Mystery Mushrooms are gone entirely, but replaced with the Huge Mushroom for SMB1? Time will tell.
Official Daisy of the Smash Ultimate Boards

User Info: marionose84

marionose84
3 weeks ago#2
I hope they're gone. I'd rather just have more playable characters. We're at least getting Mario, Luigi, Blue Toad and Toadette. Perhaps more will be added via updates. I'd much prefer that over the bland costumes that just fly off, exposing Mario, when you're hit, killing the illusion of being another character.
It's-a me! Mario...nose!

re-memoryman3
3 weeks ago#3
marionose84 posted...
I hope they're gone. I'd rather just have more playable characters. We're at least getting Mario, Luigi, Blue Toad and Toadette. Perhaps more will be added via updates. I'd much prefer that over the bland costumes that just fly off, exposing Mario, when you're hit, killing the illusion of being another character.

I think Mario, Luigi, Blue Toad (best Toad), and Toadette are it for playable chars, and I think they will all play identically.

marionose84
3 weeks ago#4
re-memoryman3 posted...
marionose84 posted...

I think Mario, Luigi, Blue Toad (best Toad), and Toadette are it for playable chars, and I think they will all play identically.

What makes you think they'll play identically or be the only ones?

It's entirely possible they got rid of the costumes to make way for more playable characters such as Peach, DAISY (you know you want that one), Bowser, DK, etc.
It's-a me! Mario...nose!

re-memoryman3
3 weeks ago#5
marionose84 posted...
re-memoryman3 posted...
marionose84 posted...

It's entirely possible they got rid of the costumes to make way for more playable characters such as Peach, DAISY (you know you want that one), Bowser, DK, etc.

Toad and Toadette just happen to be characters Nintendo choose if they want everyone to play the same. Also they fit Mario's basic body type. Bowser and DK do not and Miyamoto feels that Peach would need to have floating, and DK his stomp etc.

User Info: DiogenesKC

DiogenesKC
3 weeks ago#6
re-memoryman3 posted...
Toad and Toadette just happen to be characters Nintendo choose if they want everyone to play the same.
except when they don't, as in 3d world or nsmbu deluxe
Welcome to the world of idiots.

marionose84
3 weeks ago#7
re-memoryman3 posted...
marionose84 posted...
re-memoryman3 posted...
marionose84 posted...

Toad and Toadette just happen to be characters Nintendo choose if they want everyone to play the same. Also they fit Mario's basic body type. Bowser and DK do not and Miyamoto feels that Peach would need to have floating, and DK his stomp etc.

But, Toadette has her Super Crown now. It very well could be in this game. Luigi can have his hover and slippery traction, Toad can run faster than the others and Toadette can have Peachette. We have NO indication that we've seen all the powerups at this point.
It's-a me! Mario...nose!

re-memoryman3
3 weeks ago#8
DiogenesKC posted...
re-memoryman3 posted...
Toad and Toadette just happen to be characters Nintendo choose if they want everyone to play the same.

Toadette wasn't in 3D World.

In NSMB U she played the same, Peachette was a powerup.

marionose84
3 weeks ago#9
re-memoryman3 posted...
DiogenesKC posted...
re-memoryman3 posted...

When she has the powerup, she no longer plays the same--hence, she's a character who plays differently from Blue Toad.
It's-a me! Mario...nose!

User Info: DiogenesKC

DiogenesKC
3 weeks ago#10
re-memoryman3 posted...
gee thanks for clarifying the obvious

toad, however, was. and, in fact, did not play identically to everyone else, because everyone in that game had different stats, because they were roughly based on their abilities in smb2, a game which also had toad, who did not play identically to everyone else.
a powerup exclusive to her, which changes how you play as her
Welcome to the world of idiots.
  1. Boards
  2. Super Mario Maker 2
  3. Will amiibo costumes come back? Detailed analysis with images. Also my thoughts.
  • Topic Archived