• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn
  3. Cleric stronghold question

User Info: MindOverMatter

MindOverMatter
4 weeks ago#1
I'm playing a cleric without a deity for the first time and I wonder if the only available strongholds for this class are the three churches in Athkatla. Is there an alternative ?
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.

User Info: AzeaBraxi

AzeaBraxi
4 weeks ago#2
The three in Athkatla are the only options, it will base itself off of your alignment.

MindOverMatter
4 weeks ago#3
AzeaBraxi posted...
The three in Athkatla are the only options, it will base itself off of your alignment.
That's a bummer, but thank you for your answer. In that case, what would be an alternative class-wise for playing a fighter type character with some spells ? I'm going for hammers or flails, eventually plate armor (unless I have to go for arcane spells) and lawful/neutral good, but beyond that I'm open to suggestions.

AzeaBraxi
4 weeks ago#4
Fighter/Cleric multiclass works, you could pursue getting De Arnise hold, the fighter stronghold. Your cleric abilities are not going to work often, but you'll get spells to buff up and blast a little with, mostly you get bonus attacks per round and health.

Ranger, you can't wear full plate as a ranger as I recall but you can wear most anything but, this would get you a ranger cabin in the Umar Hills. Though spells are very limited.

Cleric/Ranger multiclass, this was a very powerful - if a little bugged - class originally, I am assuming you have the Beamdog release of the game though and I'm not sure it works anymore. If it does, the thing that made this class powerful was that you would get a cleric with all that that entailed, plus dual wielding and the ranger spellbook (which is the druid spellbook). The bug is that you are only meant to get the first four levels of spells as a ranger, but with this multiclass you got the whole druid spellbook when you had enough levels.
For strongholds it would be the normal cleric stronghold or the ranger cabin again.

Paladin, again a very limited spell book as paladins like rangers only get the first four levels of spells. Paladins do get some cool class abilities though - of the subclasses you might want to avoid inquisitor as whilst the most powerful paladin subclass they do not gain any spells. The paladin stronghold is the Order of the Radiant Heart paladin headquarters in Athkatla's temple district.

Less commonly played is the bard, if you use one of the subclasses (skald I think) it is designed to be more melee focused, you get up to sixth level arcane spells and can dual wield well. You would not be able to cast in armour though, except elven chain, drow chain and special bard specific chain armours. I think bards get the Thieves Guild stronghold.

If you are willing to give up the armour entirely you could multiclass as a cleric/mage for loads of spells - but you'd be terrible in melee unless you REALLY buff up.
Fighter/mage multiclass, again no armour, but with things like weapon immunity and stone skin you can survive well as long as you keep your buffs up.
Fighter/Cleric/Mage multiclass, slow to level, but you should wind up with a nice pile of spells and after buffing you'll be a teeny tiny whirlwind.
With multiclasses you can pick which classes stronghold you want. The mage gets the Planar Sphere.

Dual classing is a very powerful choice, you could try something along the lines of a
Kensai -> Mage for heavy melee and an almost complete mage spell book.
or
Berserker -> Cleric for an almost full cleric's turning, whilst also getting the berserker ability to ignore most hostile mind-controlling effects for a few rounds.
The level breaks for dual classing are USUALLY seven, nine and thirteen. Thirteen is really for people chasing the highest power late game. Seven is for people who want the transition to be over with as soon as possible so they can play as the dual classed character. Nine is for people who want to max out the health gained by starting with a martial class.

Sorry if this is wrong, not played the game in a very long time (and now my computer won't let me).

MindOverMatter
4 weeks ago#5
AzeaBraxi posted...
Fighter/Cleric multiclass works, you could pursue getting De Arnise hold, the fighter stronghold. Your cleric abilities are not going to work often, but you'll get spells to buff up and blast a little with, mostly you get bonus attacks per round and health.

Ranger, you can't wear full plate as a ranger as I recall but you can wear most anything but, this would get you a ranger cabin in the Umar Hills. Though spells are very limited.

Cleric/Ranger multiclass, this was a very powerful - if a little bugged - class originally, I am assuming you have the Beamdog release of the game though and I'm not sure it works anymore. If it does, the thing that made this class powerful was that you would get a cleric with all that that entailed, plus dual wielding and the ranger spellbook (which is the druid spellbook). The bug is that you are only meant to get the first four levels of spells as a ranger, but with this multiclass you got the whole druid spellbook when you had enough levels.
For strongholds it would be the normal cleric stronghold or the ranger cabin again.

Paladin, again a very limited spell book as paladins like rangers only get the first four levels of spells. Paladins do get some cool class abilities though - of the subclasses you might want to avoid inquisitor as whilst the most powerful paladin subclass they do not gain any spells. The paladin stronghold is the Order of the Radiant Heart paladin headquarters in Athkatla's temple district.

Less commonly played is the bard, if you use one of the subclasses (skald I think) it is designed to be more melee focused, you get up to sixth level arcane spells and can dual wield well. You would not be able to cast in armour though, except elven chain, drow chain and special bard specific chain armours. I think bards get the Thieves Guild stronghold.

If you are willing to give up the armour entirely you could multiclass as a cleric/mage for loads of spells - but you'd be terrible in melee unless you REALLY buff up.
Fighter/mage multiclass, again no armour, but with things like weapon immunity and stone skin you can survive well as long as you keep your buffs up.
Fighter/Cleric/Mage multiclass, slow to level, but you should wind up with a nice pile of spells and after buffing you'll be a teeny tiny whirlwind.
With multiclasses you can pick which classes stronghold you want. The mage gets the Planar Sphere.

Dual classing is a very powerful choice, you could try something along the lines of a
Kensai -> Mage for heavy melee and an almost complete mage spell book.
or
Berserker -> Cleric for an almost full cleric's turning, whilst also getting the berserker ability to ignore most hostile mind-controlling effects for a few rounds.
The level breaks for dual classing are USUALLY seven, nine and thirteen. Thirteen is really for people chasing the highest power late game. Seven is for people who want the transition to be over with as soon as possible so they can play as the dual classed character. Nine is for people who want to max out the health gained by starting with a martial class.

Sorry if this is wrong, not played the game in a very long time (and now my computer won't let me).
Thanks A LOT for all the intel. I'll go through it and consider every option.

AzeaBraxi
3 weeks ago#6
Huh, just remembered the bard stronghold. It isn't the thieves guild, you take over a theatre.
  1. Boards
  2. Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn
  3. Cleric stronghold question
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A