• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn
  3. Cleric level to chunk vampires

User Info: joefitts63

joefitts63
7 years ago#1
Does anyone happen to know the precise level at which a cleric's Turn Undead will start to chunk vampires instead of merely turning them?
"Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull then ram it in an eye socket, I know I'm buildin' a better future." - Smiling Jack

User Info: rhemorigher

rhemorigher
7 years ago#2
Copy pasted from http://www.sorcerers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=19150 (Link taken from post number 63 by RumbleBelly in the 'Is Anomen the best NPC' topic)

There are 7 standard types of vampires in the game:
- level 8: fledgeling
- level 9: mature
- level 10: old
- level 11: very old ?
- level 12: ancient
- level 13: eminence ?
- level 14: patriarch (resp. matriarch )

And there are 'named' vampires. Most of them have regular levels. Lassal for instance is level 8.
Some of them are much stronger like Bodhi or Phlydian (ToB) who are level 25.

Furthermore there are vampiric mists which are level 5 and the vampiric mind flayers (ToB) which are level 8.

Did I forget some ?

A cleric or paladin can turn vampires when his 'turn undead level' is at least 2 higher than the level of the vampire.
Therefore a level 10 cleric or a level 12 paladin will turn a fledgling vampire.

A a good or neutral aligned cleric or paladin will even kill the vampire when his 'turn undead level' is at least 7 higher than the level of the vampire.
Therefore a good or neutral aligned level 21 cleric or a level 23 paladin will kill a patriarch vampire.
(Since I only play good or neutral aligned parties I didn't check whether it is the same level for evil clerics to gain control of the vampire.)

This seems to be hardcoded in the game engine.
It should be independent of the difficulty setting. (But I only checked it with 'hard'.)

I gained this information by experiment using NearInfnity to get the vampire data and the CLUAConsole for trial and error.

[ March 31, 2006, 10:45: Message edited by: Latro ]
The madness of being normal explains the rationality of going crazy
Life is measured not by the breaths you take but by the moments that take your breath away

User Info: rhemorigher

rhemorigher
7 years ago#3
Ah what the heck, while we're posting turning levels I also looked this up (We are a place of learning today) posted by T2Bruno in post #5 http://www.sorcerers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=47091 a copy of TheTruth's post elsewhere.

Ability scores do not affect turning -- only the level of the cleric matters. The table used in the BG games is very similar to the original used for AD&D and 2nd Ed.

From thetruth's post back in Feb 2006:

Quote:

Kangaxx can be turned at level 34.Here is a table with the levels:

TURN UNDEAD LEVELS (the first number is Fear and the second number is Death):

Skeleton: 7-8
Skeleton Warrior: 13-16
Ghast: 9-12
Greater Ghast: 9-13
Fell Ghast: 9-13
Ghoul: 7-9
Greater Ghoul: 9 -13
Ghoul Lord: 12 -13
Zombie: 7-9
Zombie Lord: 7 -12
Sea Zombie: 7 -9
Sea Zombie Lord: 15 -19
Shadow: 7-10
Shadow Patrick: 8 -12
Shadow Fiend: 8 -12
Devil Shade: 11-18
Shade Wolf : 7-11
Greater Shade Wolf : 8-12
Shade Lord: 20-27
Mummy: 10-14
Greater Mummy: 17-21
Lich: 11-18
Elemental Lich: 20 -27
Shade Lich: 20 -27
Kangaxx Demi Lich: 27 -34

- Although Bone Golems are considered undeads,they cannot be turned.

You should have been affecting the undead -- however, you're cleric cannot do anything while turning. Once you select another action, the turning stops. Also, turning doesn't appear to happen immediately -- if you choose turn undead, it appears to start at your next valid action (perhaps the start of the next round if you've already done something in the current round). If the undead were outside of range during the use of turn undead, they cannot be affected by it until the next round.
The madness of being normal explains the rationality of going crazy
Life is measured not by the breaths you take but by the moments that take your breath away

User Info: joefitts63

joefitts63
7 years ago#4
Thanks for the info!
"Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull then ram it in an eye socket, I know I'm buildin' a better future." - Smiling Jack
  1. Boards
  2. Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn
  3. Cleric level to chunk vampires
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A