• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn
  3. Trilogy run for the first time, and I'm installing SCSII+Ascension. Doable?

User Info: Oneironauts

Oneironauts
7 years ago#1
I played BG2 several years ago, but I remember being overwhelmed after leaving the very first dungeon, and as a good young milk drinker back then, I dropped it.

I'm mildy spoiled: I know a thing or two about some NPCs in BG2, I know your dad was badass, I know the bad guy might join in ToB and that's it. I'm not acquainted at all with mechanics in BG, but I'll probably read a few guides here. I probably won't have time for another run anytime soon, so I just want a "full" experience while having a real challenge - just finished a fully modded Jagged Alliance 2 and an unpatched Dark Souls and had a blast.

Now I must ask you elders, how doable are these two mods for new players?
This post was a success, everyone is commenting.

User Info: DarthMordechai

DarthMordechai
7 years ago#2
If you are using a difficulty raising mod on your first playthrough then you may be biting off more than you can chew. You kind of need to know the ins and outs of the magic system to really compete in that case, as the enemy spellcasters especially will be taking no prisoners

Ascension will be doable, but I'm not sure if those mods will even work with Trilogy, as Trilogy didn't exactly work the way I had wanted it to when I tried it a while ago
My friends call me Hadoken because I'm down-right fierce
LADIES WATCH OUT FOR YOUR MAN HE MAY BE TRYING TO EAT 50 MCNUGGETS AS YOU READ THIS

User Info: rhemorigher

rhemorigher
7 years ago#3
Good mods, doable, maybe not a good idea for a first time player, particularly SCSII. Ascension only kicks in during ToB so you could probably pick up the knowledge you'd need for that by the time you reach it, SCSII on the other hand might raise the difficulty too early for you to be prepared.

The key to SCSII is an understanding of potions, item usage and spells. The issue is the amount of spells in these games making them a little complicated to learn quickly.
The madness of being normal explains the rationality of going crazy
Life is measured not by the breaths you take but by the moments that take your breath away

User Info: Ningishzida

Ningishzida
7 years ago#4
Oneironauts posted...
I played BG2 several years ago, but I remember being overwhelmed after leaving the very first dungeon

Oneironauts posted...
I'm installing SCSII+Ascension.

lol

User Info: moodyjm2

moodyjm2
7 years ago#5
I'm an RPG vet (BGII to Dark Souls) and I can say that coming back after all these years and trying SCS II was insanely hard for me.

I couldn't even beat the initial dungeon, so I had to modify some of the settings. Then pretty much every fight after with spellcasters to random thugs required restarts.

I recommend it on a second playthrough - like others have said, the magic system is complicated and reloading the same fight 20 times wasn't very fun.
"Unlocked oki dung pie - the fine art of tossing poop at your opponents" - shadowsofdawn

User Info: BgSoA

BgSoA
7 years ago#6
As a multi year veteran of BG2, I HIGHLY advise against using SCS2 for your first play through. I have used this mod once for approximately two hours, just to see what it was about, and it was brutal. Every single encounter becomes extremely difficult, and it basically forces your mages to always have stoneskin and invisibility active.

The game as is can be difficult for a new player; please spare yourself the frustration, and play the game without mods other than BGtrilogy and the official patches. You'll thank us for this advice.
macarena69 posted... "That's the point. I can do it, you can't stop me, I gain nothing from listening to you, come on me bro"

User Info: valkod23

valkod23
7 years ago#7
Oneironauts posted...
I played BG2 several years ago, but I remember being overwhelmed after leaving the very first dungeon, and as a good young milk drinker back then, I dropped it.

I'm mildy spoiled: I know a thing or two about some NPCs in BG2, I know your dad was badass, I know the bad guy might join in ToB and that's it. I'm not acquainted at all with mechanics in BG, but I'll probably read a few guides here. I probably won't have time for another run anytime soon, so I just want a "full" experience while having a real challenge - just finished a fully modded Jagged Alliance 2 and an unpatched Dark Souls and had a blast.

Now I must ask you elders, how doable are these two mods for new players?

With Trilogy, you must have a Cleric like Branwen/Viconia on hand for the Sarevok battle at the end of the BG1 portion. The cleric must have Protection from Death ready and have it cast on CHARNAME before the fight even starts (as in before approaching for dialogue). Sarevok's mage buddy gets access to BG2 stuff thanks to BGT using ToB engine, so he'll fire off Greater Malison + Death at CHARNAME as soon as the fight starts. So even if you are safe from the Death spell, the Greater Malison serves to screw your saves over royally.

On DM's BGT playthrough, he confirmed that I was right, and someone on these boards pointed out to me that is it entirely due to BGT shenanigans.
Playing Baldur's Gate Trilogy right now.

User Info: calverrlz

calverrlz
7 years ago#8
valkod23 posted...
With Trilogy, you must have a Cleric like Branwen/Viconia on hand for the Sarevok battle at the end of the BG1 portion. The cleric must have Protection from Death ready and have it cast on CHARNAME before the fight even starts (as in before approaching for dialogue). Sarevok's mage buddy gets access to BG2 stuff thanks to BGT using ToB engine, so he'll fire off Greater Malison + Death at CHARNAME as soon as the fight starts. So even if you are safe from the Death spell, the Greater Malison serves to screw your saves over royally.

On DM's BGT playthrough, he confirmed that I was right, and someone on these boards pointed out to me that is it entirely due to BGT shenanigans.

alternative: make Monty drink a magic resistance potion (50%), give him Cloak of Balduran (25%) and ring of invisibility, and hope for the best. sneak behind the dearest mage, backstab, use the ring, backstab again.

Death Spell will still fire, but only at one character. Semaj can still go eat a dick, though.

User Info: jake-sf

jake-sf
7 years ago#9
Please AVOID the Trilogy mod like the plague. Its awful, riddled with strange glitches even with a perfect installation. BG1 with Tutu and BG2, modded properly, are nearly flawless.

Do not use a full installation of SCS on a first playthrough. But I never tried a smaller installation. You could go ahead and install a few of its components, so the general AI isn't so dumb, while avoiding the heavy components like smarter mages & priests.

Frankly I absolutely adore some of the core changes to the AI in SCS, since without them, the game is just RIDICULOUSLY abusable. That said, it might be better off not using it at all for a first playthrough.
http://www.youtube.com/user/SFJake250?feature=watch
http://sfjake.zxq.net/

User Info: DarthMordechai

DarthMordechai
7 years ago#10
My favourite part of Trilogy was getting to Sarevok, having the final conversation with him, the both of us charging at each other in dramatic fashion but before a blow was even struck from either side some dude on the other side of the room killed me with one spell before I even knew he was there

I guess it makes sense, since its around the start of BG2 where mages will mess you up, but its still a massive dick move to pull for a last boss
My friends call me Hadoken because I'm down-right fierce
LADIES WATCH OUT FOR YOUR MAN HE MAY BE TRYING TO EAT 50 MCNUGGETS AS YOU READ THIS
  1. Boards
  2. Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn
  3. Trilogy run for the first time, and I'm installing SCSII+Ascension. Doable?
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A