• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn
  3. Starting a new game, again.

User Info: valkod23

valkod23
7 years ago#1
So, I checked my most recent save file when I decided to start up BG2 again and realized I had no idea what to do because I hadn't played since October of 2012. Since I have no idea where to go on my current CHARNAME, I decided I'll be starting over again using BGT.

I've already got my party planned out for BG1 and BG2+ToB: First will be Imoen, Minsc, Dyanewhatever, Kivan (ugh), and Branwen (protection from death needed for the final fight in BG1). BG2+ToB will be Minsc, Aerie, Jan Jansen, and either Tyris Flare (fighter/mage) or Viconia and then finally Sarevok when he's available.

That party set-up will cover my bases with what I'll be encountering through-out the entire trilogy.

Now, I'm either going to go Berzerker or UDH. It'll be pure since I've got the unnerfed Grandmastery bit going for me, and BG1 Proficiencies (long swords, bastard swords, great swords, scimitars, and katanas fall under Large Swords Proficiency) which will allow a fighter class crazy amounts of available weapons to use. Berserker would be for the immunities granted by going berserk as needed, the fighter THAC0 Progression, Grandmastery bonuses, etc. HLAs too. UDH would be for the undeads through out all of SoA, hold and level drain immunity, and the level 4 priest spells.

I'm extremely reluctant to go Inquisitor since I'll be using a large party with a good number of them being mages to boot, and Kensai, Monk, and Shifter Druid won't be considered because of how they'd fare in BG1, good or bad.

Now, one thing I never got around to doing because I couldn't seem to figure out how was to start the expansion pack quests for BG1's Tales of the Sword Coast. After my last experience with fighting Sarevok and buddies at the end of BG1 using BG2 rules (GM + Death cast at the beginning aimed towards CHARNAME, DarthMordecai can back me up on it), I'm curious if I can kill that girl who drops the only Full Platemail +1 and then haul my ass back to do the expansion pack to level up a bit in preparation for the final boss and then moving onto SoA.

Also, I never, ever got around to doing the Shadow Thieves vs Vampires in SoA, so how does the linearity/open-world nature of SoA hold up once I reach the war between those two and beyond?
PSN: Valkod
Playing Dark Souls and Baldur's Gate Trilogy right now.

User Info: calverrlz

calverrlz
7 years ago#2
valkod23 posted...
<snip>

I'm curious if I can kill that girl who drops the only Full Platemail +1 and then haul my ass back to do the expansion pack to level up a bit in preparation for the final boss and then moving onto SoA.

yup, you can. once I've run off to the expansion areas right before finishing Sarevok & co... though mostly because I only had two multiclassed clerics and got my ass whooped by Semaj's death spells. went back, made my dearest Monty backstab the ****er twice with ring of invisibility, fun stuff.

also, I'd add at least another cleric to your party. Yeslick maybe, seeing as you're going good aligned.

also also, you shouldn't really worry about leaving the game alone for upwards a year, it happens even to the best of us - when something can take up to 200 hours to complete, there's no shame in doing it in multiple runs :)

User Info: valkod23

valkod23
7 years ago#3
calverrlz posted...
valkod23 posted...
<snip>

I'm curious if I can kill that girl who drops the only Full Platemail +1 and then haul my ass back to do the expansion pack to level up a bit in preparation for the final boss and then moving onto SoA.

yup, you can. once I've run off to the expansion areas right before finishing Sarevok & co... though mostly because I only had two multiclassed clerics and got my ass whooped by Semaj's death spells. went back, made my dearest Monty backstab the ****er twice with ring of invisibility, fun stuff.

also, I'd add at least another cleric to your party. Yeslick maybe, seeing as you're going good aligned.

also also, you shouldn't really worry about leaving the game alone for upwards a year, it happens even to the best of us - when something can take up to 200 hours to complete, there's no shame in doing it in multiple runs :)

Thanks, but I'm not sure who I'd drop to add Yeslick to the party, as the BG1 party would be completely filled up. I'd probably drop Kivan if anything, as I wouldn't need his archery for the final battle.

Semaj deserves so much more than a few backstabs if you ask me, those death spells are pure evil.
PSN: Valkod
Playing Dark Souls and Baldur's Gate Trilogy right now.

User Info: calverrlz

calverrlz
7 years ago#4
valkod23 posted...
Thanks, but I'm not sure who I'd drop to add Yeslick to the party, as the BG1 party would be completely filled up. I'd probably drop Kivan if anything, as I wouldn't need his archery for the final battle.

Semaj deserves so much more than a few backstabs if you ask me, those death spells are pure evil.

drop Imoen and Kivan, get Coran and Yeslick maybe. you'd keep the thievery, have a solid archer, and a nice fighter/cleric combo... but you'd lose Imoen's magical abilites, and Dyna is an extremely ****ty mage (no enchantment). also, Yeslick can be used as a pretty goddamn kickass slinger, though that really only goes in BGEE.

btw the whole Semaj death spell shebang is a BGT dickery, there was nothing like this in the original. but at least you can take him out in two rounds with a well placed blade in the back (because even after the death spell, the guy can **** things up), and holy hell, does it feel good :D
  1. Boards
  2. Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn
  3. Starting a new game, again.
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A