• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn
  3. BG3 as envisioned by George Ziets

User Info: roddyrod

roddyrod
7 years ago#1
Nothing that will ever happen, of course, but still fairly interesting, I think. If you don't know who George Ziets is, he was the creative lead behind Mask of the Betrayer, one of the expansions for Neverwinter Nights 2 (the good one). He's also working on Project Eternity.

http://www.formspring.me/GZiets/q/414930203056307948?utm_medium=email&utm_source=notifications&utm_campaign=comment
I’ve always thought that the struggles of a new FR deity could be pretty interesting. Think about what the Bhaalspawn would be up against: 1) few or no followers in a setting where a god requires worship to survive, 2) no divine portfolio to speak of, and 3) a fortress / headquarters that is still floating somewhere in the Abyss – not friendly territory, even for an evil PC.

Under those circumstances, I think a divine campaign would be a battle for survival. It’s suggested at the end of ToB that Cyric and his allies will be coming after you (whether the player is evil or not) because Cyric took over Bhaal’s divine portfolio. The player, as a nascent god, would be facing off against some powerful deities.

Terrible odds? Yes. But that’s great for a story hook.

Initially the player may just be staving off imminent disaster as Cyric and his friends move quickly against the player – several strong deities against a relatively weak one. I could imagine the player being forced to abandon the Throne of Bhaal and going on the run across the planes. The player’s goal would be to gain followers (faith=power), usurp the divine portfolio of another god, and carve out a base of power in the wider multiverse. Your journey could take you to some of the planes we’ve never visited in a CRPG – Mount Celestia, Limbo, and Mechanus, for example – as well as revisiting old favorites like Sigil, though seeing the City of Doors through the eyes of a minor deity could be a very different experience. In a divine-level planar campaign, the player might stir up a civil war on Mount Celestia, conquer a layer of the Abyss, or assemble an adventuring party of divine avatars. Ultimately you’d take back the Throne of Bhaal, smack down Cyric and his friends, and establish a place for yourself among the pantheon of gods.

Mechanically, it seems like a critical resource would be your divine power, which would rise with your number of followers (humans, divines, demons, or whatever), the extent of your notoriety and influence, and the importance of your divine portfolio. (The concept of divine rank could conceivably replace character level.) You’d create avatars to go adventuring in the various planes, so death wouldn’t force a reload. And as you travel the planes, you might learn ways to change or improve the traits of your avatar, or to create multiple avatars, each with different shapes and abilities, useful for different situations.

That’s just some quick brainstorming, but I think a divine-level BG3 could be a lot of fun, and the Bhaalspawn’s story could certainly go on if developers wanted to pursue it.

User Info: Kushu

Kushu
7 years ago#2
I like it.
Never seen a crowd of people waving "God hates burglars" signs.

User Info: rhemorigher

rhemorigher
7 years ago#3
Hell yes, I want to play that.
The madness of being normal explains the rationality of going crazy
Life is measured not by the breaths you take but by the moments that take your breath away

User Info: Zeran_kariashi

Zeran_kariashi
7 years ago#4
Overlooking the fact that canonically, the bhaalspawn gave up divinity, as to not upset the status quo.

And given how much FR has changed since 1371, that ship has long since sailed.

User Info: red255

red255
7 years ago#5
Zeran_kariashi posted...
Overlooking the fact that canonically, the bhaalspawn gave up divinity, as to not upset the status quo.

And given how much FR has changed since 1371, that ship has long since sailed.

the bhaalspawn gave up divinity because elsewise he'd be dead in a year because the lore/plot wouldn't allow a god named 'CHARNAME'

yeah I can ignore that fact because it was such a lame god ending. unless you get a better one if you didn't min wiz/int or some other stat.
If the next one is called, because of his MO, the underwear bomber, you'll know I'm on to something. Calvin Trillin June 16, 2006.

User Info: rumble_belly

rumble_belly
7 years ago#6
red255 posted...
the bhaalspawn gave up divinity because elsewise he'd be dead in a year because the lore/plot wouldn't allow a god named 'CHARNAME'

In the canon, his name is Abdel Adrian.

yeah I can ignore that fact because it was such a lame god ending. unless you get a better one if you didn't min wiz/int or some other stat.

There are three different endings, and none of them depend on stats or even your alignment. They depend on what you say to the solar during the pocket plane challenges. The endings are 1) become a good god, 2) become an evil god, and 3) give up your divinity and don't become a god.

User Info: roddyrod

roddyrod
7 years ago#7
No, dammit, no! This thread is about nice things!

The novelization is not a nice thing.

No sir.

No sir at all.

rumble_belly
7 years ago#8
What do you mean the novel was horrible? You mean you don't like Minsc as the red-haired waiter at the Copper Coronet? That totally fits his in-game character!!

Or Sarevok being a fighter/mage casting fireballs? Because that obviously fits with his in-game character too!!

User Info: Blind_Assassin

Blind_Assassin
7 years ago#9
rumble_belly posted...
What do you mean the novel was horrible? You mean you don't like Minsc as the red-haired waiter at the Copper Coronet? That totally fits his in-game character!!

Or Sarevok being a fighter/mage casting fireballs? Because that obviously fits with his in-game character too!!

What's wrong with FM? He's totally got the intelligence for it.
^IMO.

rumble_belly
7 years ago#10
So he has enough Int to be a mage. So what? He wasn't actually a mage in the BG1 game, so why write him like that in the BG1 novel?
  1. Boards
  2. Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn
  3. BG3 as envisioned by George Ziets
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A