• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn
  3. Worst of the Worst Part 4 (of 6 or 7)

User Info: PsychicRutabaga

PsychicRutabaga
7 years ago#131
Ok, I'm starting to get an appreciation for what DM has experienced while playing these mods.

After Chloe said "Quit poking me and just tell me what you want" for the hundredth time, my response was "I want you out of the party". I figured that would cut down on the inane dialog by a significant percentage. Little did I know.

A little later I was finishing up Cernd's quest at Deril's house. After Cernd grew a backbone and made Deril angry enough to start casting spells at us, I had my party all head into the two adjacent rooms for cover while Cernd summoned some animals for Deril to waste his death spells on. My protagonist (male stalker) had just started hiding in the shadows to to get ready for some sneaky backstabbing fun when Tashia started sobbing about the past. As soon as I consoled her enough to shut her up, Nephle came up to reminisce about growing up and asked me what my childhood in candlekeep was like. Meanwhile, Keto was having a discussion with Yoshimo about which of them had the wider reputation across Faerun. Nobody seemed concerned that there was an evil mage in the next room throwing fireballs in our general direction, not to mention that his house guest was a Lich!

You would think there would be a variable that the mod authors could check to see if the party was currently in battle if there were monsters/enemies about.
"L'Cie? You mean me? Oh child, perish the thought. I am more than that! I am fal'Cie. My name is Barthandelus." -Barthandelus, Final Fantasy XIII

User Info: DarthMordechai

DarthMordechai
7 years ago#132
I think there is a check, but it is to do with whether or not there are enemies within sight of the person who starts talking, rather than whether or not they are actually in battle. Prepare for things like your party to start talking about their feelings in the middle of a dragon fight because it wing buffeted them out of sight range
My friends call me Hadoken because I'm down-right fierce
LADIES WATCH OUT FOR YOUR MAN HE MAY BE TRYING TO EAT 50 MCNUGGETS AS YOU READ THIS

User Info: FreedanEternal

FreedanEternal
7 years ago#133
Strike Gavin from the recommendations, if you ever get going again. Just finished BG2 with him, and dear lord, if you think Kelsey is boring, this guy will put you into a coma.

I mean, as awkward as it was in the BG1 iteration, I actually LIKED him there. BG2... Let's see, first you go looking for his missing daughter, then leave her at the Temple of Ohgma, and ever 15 days Gavin will sidetrack you back to the Docks to talk to her. That's the "chore" of it, because it never leads to anything interesting.

I'm not absolutely positive about how the "new" relationship path works, because I took the options that said he and my sorceress were already engaged, which did happen while I was playing Tutu, and it was basically "Okay, we need to talk about our relationship. You still want me? Cool. Can we go to the market to buy some herbs that will make me temporarily sterile so I don't get you pregnant on this road trip? Cool. WTF WHERE IS MY SHAVING MIRROR?! I HATE EVERYTHING GRAWR! Oh, god, I'm so sorry, forgive me, please?"

And then it just kind of trails off. I'm serious, he has no quests, and nothing after that point. He was utterly silent, excluding party banter, most of which is generic "good guy route" anyway, since before leaving for Brynnlaw, until Bohdi snatched him. I was seriously thinking it was glitched, and dove into the actual files to see, and nope, that's it.

No ToB content either. Looks like it was under work, but stalled out near the start of this year. Seriously, the IWD-to-BG2 conversion has more recent updates and faster progress than this.
Of course she flew through the air! You can see it right there! Whooooooooosh! - Phoenix Wright

User Info: Duiuz

Duiuz
7 years ago#134
This post is to prevent a time based idleness closure.

User Info: valkod23

valkod23
7 years ago#135
DarthMordechai posted...
I think there is a check, but it is to do with whether or not there are enemies within sight of the person who starts talking, rather than whether or not they are actually in battle. Prepare for things like your party to start talking about their feelings in the middle of a dragon fight because it wing buffeted them out of sight range

I got lucky that never happened during my fights with Firkraag. Unfortunately, all my fights with Firkraag numbered an astounding one, and that was the Saerileth playthrough.

Also, it turns out my GPU tends to overheat rather easily on newer games because the fan is crapping itself or something. Like, upwards of 100 degrees celsius just a few minutes logged into City of Heroes, but for older games like BG2, it does just fine.

So yeah, expect to see me a lot more around here.

User Info: Angurvadal

Angurvadal
7 years ago#136
I used to hate these topics because while mods generally aren't as well written as the official companions, I think that it should be admired that a group of people love the game so much that they invest time developing custom NPCs. It seems really mean spirited to make a topic devoted to how bad they are.

But wow, these are really bad. I'm not even sure my claim that they love the game so much that they want to develop content for it holds up. It seems more like they're using the game as a platform to indulge their weird fantasies - like having Tyris bend over in her 'revealing' armor that leaves nothing to the imagination (what's the point of armor if it's revealing? Would the armor still be as revealing if it was on Keldorn or Minsc?). And of course, everybody's ephebophilic fantasy paladin girl...

And maybe it's just me, but I dislike those written emotes that modders tend to use. IIRC, they use written emotes very sparingly in the actual game so it makes the frequent uses of them in NPC mods feel really off.
This message from an unbiased boardgamer.
Real men use Alta Vista.

FreedanEternal
7 years ago#137
Angurvadal posted...
But wow, these are really bad. I'm not even sure my claim that they love the game so much that they want to develop content for it holds up. It seems more like they're using the game as a platform to indulge their weird fantasies - like having Tyris bend over in her 'revealing' armor that leaves nothing to the imagination (what's the point of armor if it's revealing? Would the armor still be as revealing if it was on Keldorn or Minsc?). And of course, everybody's ephebophilic fantasy paladin girl...

Well, the one thing I'd really say, is just take a look at 99% of fantasy art depicting women in general. Nearly all of it has them either in armor with very low bust lines, or just metal bras. Tyris isn't even an original character, she's stolen from the Golden Axe series, which IIRC, has her wearing a string bikini (of course, the male warrior was in nothing more than a speedo and boots, so it was sexually fair).

Modern games aren't any better, for the most part. The Elder Scrolls tries to be, but then we see Golden Saints with low-bust line breastplates, that have no protective value whatsoever.

Revealing/useless armor isn't something you can really blame on the modders in this case. It's a cliche of the fantasy genre for years, before BG2 even existed.
Of course she flew through the air! You can see it right there! Whooooooooosh! - Phoenix Wright

User Info: valkod23

valkod23
7 years ago#138
I've come upon a terrible realization: I have absolutely no idea what I'm supposed to do now, namely which side quests I'm still working on. I'm sure I'll figure it out eventually.

User Info: Lwaxana_Troi

Lwaxana_Troi
7 years ago#139
Freedan the Eternal posted...
Angurvadal posted...

Well, the one thing I'd really say, is just take a look at 99% of fantasy art depicting women in general. Nearly all of it has them either in armor with very low bust lines, or just metal bras. Tyris isn't even an original character, she's stolen from the Golden Axe series, which IIRC, has her wearing a string bikini (of course, the male warrior was in nothing more than a speedo and boots, so it was sexually fair).

Modern games aren't any better, for the most part. The Elder Scrolls tries to be, but then we see Golden Saints with low-bust line breastplates, that have no protective value whatsoever.

Revealing/useless armor isn't something you can really blame on the modders in this case. It's a cliche of the fantasy genre for years, before BG2 even existed.

I disagree; just because 99% of fantasy is sexist doesn't give modder a free pass to be sexist!

And there's the fact that this game fits into the 1%.
Getting rid of Britta

FreedanEternal
7 years ago#140
Lwaxana_Troi posted...

I disagree; just because 99% of fantasy is sexist doesn't give modder a free pass to be sexist!

And there's the fact that this game fits into the 1%.

Then we're just going to agree to disagree.

Let me explain something: I'm not defending the mod by any means. I've never played it. Probably never will. But I regard these characters in the same way I regard fanfiction. And in the case of Tyris Flare, she is a preexisting character from another IP, and IP that is extremely sexist, in both directions (as I said before, the male warrior character was a muscle-bound Conan-esque figure in nothing but a speedo and boots). Making the character mod the equivalent to crossover fanfiction, a direction that even I, as someone has written fanfiction for some time, discourage new would-be fanfic writers from doing.

But the absolute worst thing fanfiction can do is have characters behave out of character either by warping their personality, their desires, or yes, even their style of dress, compared to what already existed. Since, personality-wise, Tyris was a blank slate (as the other characters of the original Golden Axe would be), that gave the modder freedom. But the world she comes from is not the world of BG. If her outfit wasn't "sexist," as you put it, it would be out of character for her.

I'm not making any judgement on the actual quality of the writing, because I haven't played it, as I said. But I will say that the modder was perfectly right in the regard of what you're calling "sexist," because it's true to the world from which the character originates. So yes, he does get a "free pass" as you called it, for at least trying to stay true to the original version of the character in that regard.

Tell me I'm wrong all you want, it won't change my mind.
  1. Boards
  2. Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn
  3. Worst of the Worst Part 4 (of 6 or 7)
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Answers