• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn
  3. So, exactly what is it that makes ranger/clerics rock?

User Info: Hamstah_Fwend

Hamstah_Fwend
9 years ago#1
I'm under the impression that the ranger/cleric is currently second, or near to the kensage in terms of pure game-breaking power. I don't immediately see why, though. Something about having both druid and cleric spells? But won't being a dual-classed ranger stop you from getting higher-level druid spells?
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne!
CHEESE FOR THE CHEESE PIMIENTO!

User Info: f4rM

f4rM
9 years ago#2
Ranger/Cleric multiclass gets all Druid spell levels (which isn't really intended), giving them the useful and popular Insect line of spells and Ironskins (which is the equivalent of Stoneskin) along with all of the Cleric's buffs.
< o >

User Info: Zaibato

Zaibato
9 years ago#3
Something along the lines of plate user with stone skin, having all the protections buffs with mighty fire elementals and mage-killing insects... maybe something else but i didnt played that kind of char alot.

User Info: JackHuizenga

JackHuizenga
9 years ago#4
Multi is better than dual, though, at least if you have ToB. Cleric HLAs sort of suck, while ranger ones are quite useful.

User Info: Southe05

Southe05
9 years ago#5
and ranger dual wielding
but limited to cleric ethos so nothing better than FOA - crom combos
which is lame, of course
Saruman: You did not seriously think that a hobbit could contend with the will of Southie, there are none that can.

User Info: Shimmerblade

Shimmerblade
9 years ago#6
Its also pretty handy wearing full armour and be able to cast.
Globe of blades, Devas and righteous might are all cool spells
The class is very powerful but a little overrated.
I'd say a F/M/T is more powerful. I'd just finished my solo F/M/T and it was quite a lot easier than I thought. Surprisingly easier than sorcerer solo. Sendai was a pain with my sorcerer but my F/M/T made it fun. I also didn't need to resort to cheap/repetitive tactics (project image summons and chain wilting).

User Info: The_Pig_

The_Pig_
9 years ago#7
Multi is better than dual, though, at least if you have ToB. Cleric HLAs sort of suck, while ranger ones are quite useful.

Generally speaking, yes, multis are better due to more and better HLAs. However, cleric is one class that you may want to go pure or dual. This is because a high level cleric can use Turn Undead and cause any undead to simply explode. It is awesome to walk into Bodhi's lair with Turn Undead and watch all the vampires explode. Kangaxx can even be exploded by a level 31 cleric. A multi cleric will never be a high enough level to explode the powerful undead.

but limited to cleric ethos so nothing better than FOA - crom combos
which is lame, of course

You're kidding right? FoA is the most powerful weapon in the game.

- High base damage that includes elemental damage, which is good for bypassing Stoneskin.
- A Slow effect that allows no saving throw
- Blunt weapon so it is hardly ever resisted (like slashing and piercing weapons are)
- FoA+5 gives Free Action

FoA is not lame at all.

Crom is lame, especially for clerics. Draw Upon Holy Might and Righteous Magic will give clerics 25 strength (and Righteous Magic will even do maximum damage per hit like the kensai's kai).

Personally, I don't like the ranger/cleric for one simple reason... It is cheating. Rangers are not meant to get above 4th level druid spells, and the fact that ranger/cleric does is a bug.

User Info: rhemorigher

rhemorigher
9 years ago#8
@ The_Pig_

Awesome yes but turn undead is as I'm sure you'll agree far too limited to be a real argument to be a pure cleric (you came across as heavily supporting straight cleric to me and its more of a gimick). Dual/multi are probaby invariably better (except sorcs who cannot dual/multi), though mostly I do not bother, power gamin is fun but it needs to be done in moderation IMO to avoid bordom.
The madness of being normal explains the rationality of going crazy
Life is measured not by the breaths you take but by the moments that take your breath away

User Info: The_Pig_

The_Pig_
9 years ago#9
(you came across as heavily supporting straight cleric to me and its more of a gimick)

I don't know why you got that idea. I said either a pure or dual can turn even the most powerful undead.

A level 7 fighter dualled to cleric can still reach level 38 cleric. A level 38 cleric can explode any undead. (The highest level needed is level 31 for the demiliches actually.)

A level 7 fighter dualled to cleric is a powerhouse, but not overwhelming so. 2 attacks per round plus a ton of hit points (only missing 8 hit points total by not dualing at level 9), and all the great cleric buffs.

Turning Undead is probably more useful than you realize.

The Unseeing Eye areas are full of undead.
The Umar Hills is full of undead.
There are a lot of undead in Firkraag's dungeon.
Random vampire encounters.
Bodhi's lair.
Liches.
Watcher's Keep has a lot of undead.

There are a lot of undead in the game...

User Info: Southe05

Southe05
9 years ago#10
i hate to ruin your fun but i was joking.
Saruman: You did not seriously think that a hobbit could contend with the will of Southie, there are none that can.
  1. Boards
  2. Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn
  3. So, exactly what is it that makes ranger/clerics rock?
  • Topic Archived