• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition
  3. Safe to leave created characters?

User Info: Zechxis

Zechxis
1 year ago#1
I made a custom party of 5 with one open slot for a game-ready companion NPC. I’ve already run into an issue: two different sets of companions want to do stuff with me and my party I can’t take just one of them apparently: both groups insist I bring BOTH of them or not at all. So now I have questions:

1. Is it safe to recruit two of these guys and leave one of my custom characters somewhere? Does it matter where? How about at the inn?
  2. Did I screw myself by making one too many companions and need to restart with just 4 if I don’t want to miss out on quests and dialogue?
  3. If I do restart, is there a way to take my custom characters and have them back for a new game or do I have to make them from scratch again? I took awhile getting great rolls for everyone is why.
Thanks!
Xbox 360/PS3/PS4 Gamertag - Zechxis

User Info: Falthin

Falthin
1 year ago#2
Zechxis posted...
I made a custom party of 5 with one open slot for a game-ready companion NPC. I’ve already run into an issue: two different sets of companions want to do stuff with me and my party I can’t take just one of them apparently: both groups insist I bring BOTH of them or not at all. So now I have questions:

1. Is it safe to recruit two of these guys and leave one of my custom characters somewhere? Does it matter where? How about at the inn?
It's safe to leave them - but remember where you leave them because they'll stay there. So pick somewhere you'll be coming back to easily.
Yes the Inn is a good place.

2. Did I screw myself by making one too many companions and need to restart with just 4 if I don’t want to miss out on quests and dialogue?

In BG 1 unfortunately most of the NPCs come in pairs like Jaheria and her Wuss, or Minsc and his witch.
I personally make 4 characters to allow me to pick one pair of NPCs.

You can just dump one of your 5 custom characters by removing them from the party and forget about them. ( you can export them so you don't lose them forever )

3. If I do restart, is there a way to take my custom characters and have them back for a new game or do I have to make them from scratch again? I took awhile getting great rolls for everyone is why.
Thanks!

In BG1 yes. - do it properly for optimal results. On the screen where you level up , there is an EXPORT CHARACTER button.
Load up a custom character with rings of protection and decent gear and then export them.
Then move all the equipment to the next custom character and export them too etc etc.
You can view the characters you have exported in the CHARACTERS section of the main menu screen ( where you select single player / create party etc )

When you start a new game you can CREATE A PARTY and import the characters you have exported into 4 slots and leave two slots open for NPCs. In BG1 they will be imported with all the levels and gear they had when you exported them ( minus gem bag, potion pouch or bag of holding ).
( export them with expensive items to sell at the start of a new game to help with gold )
Make the most of this in BG1 because you lose your equipment at the start of BG2 so although you could restart BG2 with higher level characters, you would have to trudge through and find the equipment again.

You cannot import individual characters into Siege of Dragonspear using this method.
You must import a BG1 save game and import the characters from that.
So make sure you have a BG1 save game with your 4 or 5 custom characters in equipped and ready to import that save game into S O D.

If you want to carry your characters all the way through to BG2 then you will be using a SAVE from S O D ( or BG 1 if you skip S O D) to import into BG2. ( not individually exported characters ).

Zechxis
1 year ago#3
Thank you so much, that was really helpful! Shame the gear will get taken away when I hit BG2. My plan is to do it all with a set of characters: start with Og Baldur’s Gate, then its expansions, then BG2 and its expansions and THEN finally Icewind Dale and it’s expansions! Gonna be a long but good trip!

Falthin
1 year ago#4
I've added a bit more info.

I've just done BG1 , SOD and then BG2 with a set of characters and it was great to see them all the way through.
I knew what was useful in BG2 from years ago so I made sure to make them in BG1 and not rely on the low stat NPCs.
I'm taking a little break before TOB, it's quite a long slog.
I haven't picked up Icewind dale yet. I may do in the new year. ( a totally custom party in that one I think, no NPCs to recruit )

The wild mage Neera is quite a fun character but I skipped her in BG1 because her wild surges were too disruptive. In BG2 she is much more reliable once she can obtain a particular robe to wear and she became my main mage.

I created a Fighter / Thief main,
Paladin Undead Hunter ( 2 handed mayhem in BG2 )
Paladin Cavalier ( sword and shield tank )
Cleric / Mage ( great intelligence and wisdom for best selection of memorized spells )

in BG 1 I think I used Jaheira and Khalid.

Shuffled around a bit in S OD and then

Jaheira and Ended up sticking with Neera in BG2.

Zechxis
1 year ago#5
Lol I got both Planescape/Icewind Dale and the Baldur Gate disc for half off around Black Friday and Planescape/Icewind came to me first. Not knowing any better, I started Icewind Dale after trying the unrelated Planescape not knowing about the import character thing and got a good 2-4 hours in. But I want to experience it in order as intended basically.

I was given BG2 many many years ago on PC when it first came out. I was young and the computer had issues and crashes and ran much slower. I love how this runs buttery smooth, at least for me on my pro. It loads quick and seems to be the true way the developers would have wanted someone like me to experience it.

I got through a fair amount of BG2 until I had technical issues around transitioning to TOB and eventually gave up alltogether. From what I’m seeing so far I doubt that will be an issue this time!

Zechxis
1 year ago#6
Oh and I’ve currently been running in BG with my main as a Blade, with an Avenger, a Cleric for the Helm, a half orc Beserker, and a halfling assassin who serves as my thief...or at least he did. After this I’m thinking he may end up getting left behind since I’m seeing that Imoen can join and I think my Blade could use lockpick but so far haven’t tried it. With the crew I made we’ve been wrecking everything so far but I’m fairly early in, just arriving at that inn you first go to after the prologue. Any suggestions of who to maybe cut loose or at least rely on less?

Falthin
1 year ago#7
I've experienced a few crashes thoughout the three games I've played - usually when I'd been playing a while
and sometimes they were when the game transitioned into the next chapter ( not many crashes but annoying when they happened.and had to redo bits )
One of the crashes wiped out my current save so I had to redo a couple of hours.

So - you may already - but remember to double save - keep two manual saves on the go and save both at the start of each zone or building etc. you can alternate them once inside but don't go more than 15-20 minutes without saving.
The game doesn't autosave when you think it will - you can leave the inn and travel to a new location and spend a while there , but the last autosave will be when you left the inn for example.

As for party - In BG1 you have access to Imoen for thieving if you don't want a custom character to do it , you can get through BG1 and maybe S O D with any reasonable party as long as you have most of the bases covered.

My problem with Imoen is she is soooo weak she can't help carry loot, so although I love her like a sister she get's left at the inn and my fighter thief handles it. It also means I'm leveling up my thief skills from the very start of BG1 so they are more than adequate for the following games.

If you want to take the custom characters all the way through to BG2 etc then it's worth making sure your custom characters cover all the vital areas, at least in part, because the NPCs get reset when starting BG2.
If you've played BG2 before then you know you'll lose Imoen from the team very early on and you'll have to rely on your custom thieving skills or another NPC.
Lockpicking and detect traps are the most used thief skills and you'll need them a lot. ( constantly in BG2 )

Of the party members you have - the dedicated cleric might be the one to drop depending on who you plan to take on.
Jaheira can heal and cast some cleric spells or just use the many healing potions you can pick up or buy from temples.
Can the Avenger Druid cast healing ?
Turn undead wasn't that useful in BG1
A cleric / mage multi class might have been a more versatile choice but it seems you have some basic spells covered by the Blade and the Avenger.
But you might need your halfling thief more than the cleric if your blade isn't great at lock picking and finding traps.

Remember if Imoen joins instead of your halfling then you'll still have a party of 5 and you'll need to kick someone else out to take on a 'pair' of NPCs.

Zechxis
1 year ago#8
Can Imoen be a good archer though? That’s what I had her doing before all this anyhow.

Yeah, I gave both the Avenger and the Cleric heal spells in case one or the other is downed/in need. But I’m wondering if from what you’re saying maybe I can export my characters and change my cleric to a thief type (I had assassin for my other one and he seemed to do well). Or maybe a dual class of something close? Namely I wanted:
  1. Leader, speaker and damage dealer
  2. Druid for offensive and some defense
  3. Cleric mostly defensive
  4. Berserker for when nothing else cuts it/ my tank
  5. A thief of some sort
I just booted it up to check and unfortunately my main Blade Bard does not have lock pick, just pick pockets.
  1. Boards
  2. Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition
  3. Safe to leave created characters?
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A