• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Legend of Mana
  3. This game is intimidating

User Info: EnigmaZero

EnigmaZero
1 month ago#1
I have only played this game once, about five years ago. I did complete all three main quest lines and beat the game, but I went way overboard trying to learn all I could about the forging system. I put questing on hold entirely and spent dozens of hours in the forge, and when I emerged I was so outrageously powerful that the rest of the game was trivial.

With how much I’ve enjoyed the remake of Trials of Mana, it has put me in a Mana mood, and I’ve been playing the old Mana games all summer. I really want to play Legend again, but I don’t want to get sucked back into the forge like that. I dug up my old notes and they barely make any sense to me now, even though I was very well-versed at the time.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone had any tips or suggestions for how to casually play and enjoy this game. I have no interest in maxing my stats or building ultimate equipment, but I do want to try to complete each quest in the game, and at the same time I’m not trying for some ultra difficult low level weak equipment challenge either. I don’t like playing through entire games with a guide; that takes the fun away for me. I think I’d enjoy preparing my own land placement map in advance, as I was able to remember how all that worked from my notes. My thought was to try to acquire as many artifacts as possible early and just get them placed where I want, even if I don’t go there right away, then at some point hopefully I can just wander around the lands and stumble into quests without ruining anything.

Does this seems like a feasible way of playing the game? Any thoughts or suggestions for things to do or even not do are welcome. Talking about games is fun to me anyway. Thanks for reading this.

User Info: Calmlander

Calmlander
1 month ago#2
My advice, forget the forge, learn one or two good recipes (I can give them to you if you want) and spend your time exploring the world and completing the quests.

Do other things like collecting pets you like and bringing NPCs to places where they are not supposed to be, like to talk to Gaeus or to fight in other events with you.

Also, you can make your hero a specific character, like a immortal with an ivory sword, or a slayer with a wooden knife. Is about imagination, really.

But this game is so massive and you can play it in many ways and watch different scenes depending on your timing or your partners that you shouldn't just focus in creating a super weapon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuWkvyeAu0E

User Info: DragonBlood87

DragonBlood87
1 month ago#3
My advice: Forget the forge entirely. Pretend it doesn't exist, with the possible exception of making unmodified pieces of equipment from spare material you have.

If you're trying to enjoy the non-forging parts of the gameplay, then the forge tends to be really bad, since it is so easy to make items that are powerful enough that they trivialize everything.

As for what you described in the third paragraph, that's mostly feasible, but with the caveat that there are a few minor quests that are pretty easy to miss if you aren't using a guide.
Atheism - A non-prophet organization.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits

Calmlander
1 month ago#4
DragonBlood87 posted...
If you're trying to enjoy the non-forging parts of the gameplay, then the forge tends to be really bad, since it is so easy to make items that are powerful enough that they trivialize everything.

However, making ONE weapon for run sometimes is not a bad idea, if that weapon is powerful enough so you can focus in exploration and puzzles and doesn't take much time. I'm talking about something 200-400, not the uberweapons.

User Info: EnigmaZero

EnigmaZero
1 month ago#5
Last time I played, I printed a checklist for how many battles I needed to learn every ability and every skill for all weapons. Do you guys recommend just picking one or two and sticking with that, or is it worth it to be skilled in all weapons?

Calmlander
1 month ago#6
Is up to you. But I'll stick to one weapon.

I like the Knife for how fast the character moves, the Spear for the range and power, and the Bow because you can hit foes from far away.

The weapon you have equipped determines the stat growth, the Sword gives you the most balanced stats, while the glove maximize HP and the Staff maximize magic. But you shouldn't worry about that, just use your favorite weapon.

User Info: Alltra

Alltra
1 month ago#7
If you're doing a default difficulty run, you don't need anything much better than the stock equipment you can find/buy. Whatever weapon you choose, I would personally recommend getting good skills for it though.

The fun thing here is there's NG+, and almost nothing is permanently missable. You'd practically have to be intentionally trying to miss the stuff that is.
The meaning of life is to suffer and be miserable.
Online is the worst thing to happen to gaming.

Calmlander
1 month ago#8
Alltra posted...
there's NG+, and almost nothing is permanently missable

The only missable things here are the Cactus entries in the diary about the Monster Corral and the workshops, no?

User Info: AdmiralStiff

AdmiralStiff
1 month ago#9
Calmlander posted...
The only missable things here are the Cactus entries in the diary about the Monster Corral and the workshops, no?
NG+ hands them to you from the get go
You cannot stop me from getting inside
I am cold, I am hard and my name... is Reality

User Info: DragonBlood87

DragonBlood87
1 month ago#10
AdmiralStiff posted...
NG+ hands them to you from the get go

It gives you the workshops and the corral, but as I recall, it does not give you the related Cactus Diary entries. Since you can only do the events once per character, they are the only truly missable diary entries.
Atheism - A non-prophet organization.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits
  1. Boards
  2. Legend of Mana
  3. This game is intimidating
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A