• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.

User Info: Atariboy1982

Atariboy1982
1 year ago#1
Does anyone else have black bars on all four sides of the screen? I do everywhere from the title screen of the collection to the games themselves.

I expect pillarboxing on the sides to preserve the original aspect ratio and would be disappointed if 4:3 and 3:4 arcade classics were stretched to 16:9, but I'm puzzled otherwise why this collection doesn't fill my screen on the PS4.

Selecting full screen in the in-game options doesn't get rid of the black bars on all four sides of the screen. It just makes the games fill the vertical height of the screen between the black bars at the top and bottom of the screen.
(edited 1 year ago)

Atariboy1982
1 year ago#2
Most YouTube uploads of this appear to fill the screen, but here's an example of what I'm seeing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3ap31ay1hk

Is there some option I missed to disable the windowboxing?

Atariboy1982
1 year ago#3
Interestingly, the Aladdin/Lion King double pack for PS4 from Digital Eclipse does the same thing I've since noticed. Yet the Disney Afternoon Collection on Xbox One doesn't.

I wonder if Mega Man Legacy Collection 1 is windowboxed on PS4. I haven't yet bought any of the current gen collections of classic Mega Man games.

User Info: ghostgate2001

ghostgate2001
10 months ago#4
I don't really want to re-install this collection to check - I loathe it with a passion due to the never-patched issues with the controls "sticking" when you use the analog sticks - but if it's slightly windowboxed on all sides then that's probably because the devs went for a "nearest multiple" approach when upscaling the image.

Taking "Vanguard" as an example: the original arcade game had a vertical-oriented display at 224x256 pixels. If you're upscaling that to fit a 1080p display then 1080/256=4.2 so the nearest whole divider is 4x - basically quadrupling each pixel, giving you a display height of 1000 pixels ... which, obviously, doesn't quite fill the height of a 1080 pixel display. Therefore you will see a small 20-pixel border top and bottom.

Some devs will choose to upscale the image to 1080 regardless, so it completely fills the screen, but if they do that and the source image doesn't exactly multiply up to 1080 then you get a nasty "rippling" effect on the upscaled image because you're trying to display each pixel as 4.2 pixels and that doesn't match up 1:1 with the pixels on your screen, so any given frame will have a mixture of "fat" and "thin" pixels, giving a rippling efffect.

IMHO, a clean upscale with a tiny border around it is far preferable.

Atariboy1982
7 months ago#5
ghostgate2001 posted...
IMHO, a clean upscale with a tiny border around it is far preferable.

I agree, but the entire product is windowboxed from the title screen to the credits roll, which seems bizarre.

Atariboy1982
4 months ago#6
Solved the problem. It was user error the entire time. I never set the safe area in the PS4's display settings. Was at default which leaves a ton of overscan area.

They apparently are one of the few developers that actually respect this display setting since no other PS4 games I've ever played were windowboxed like this.

But both this (And the Aladdin/Lion King pack) now look as I expected them to on the PS4.
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A