You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. SNK 40th Anniversary Collection
  3. what are the video options?

User Info: LuigisBro

LuigisBro
1 month ago#1
all I've seen from youtube are sharp, fullscreen and stretched

I always prefer the sharp/pixel option cause you get shimmering or blurring when with stretched resolutions, but some of the games like Vanguard look really small in sharp mode, I don't suppose there's any option to integer scale the vertical & horizontal resolutions separately?
2018 megatons - handheld Switch, Miyamoto retires, Switch DQXI canceled

User Info: ghostgate2001

ghostgate2001
1 month ago#2
That's it, I'm afraid. And the setting is applied globally, so you can't set the best option to suit each game individually. No TATE option. No screen positioning. No manual scaling. Just the 3 presets.

Sharp = Nearest multiple, by the look of it. Some games are a better fit than others, but none of them are ridiculously tiny little windows in the middle of my 1080 screen.

Fullscreen = Image scaled to exactly fit the height of your screen; original aspect ratio is maintained. The scaling is clean, so it's likely to be the best option for most folks.

Stretch = Horrific aspect-ratio-ignoring scaling that stretches the image to completely fill your screen. I guess some people must have a pathological hatred of "black borders". This option is for them, I guess.

There are 3 filter settings, too: Off (no filter), TV and Monitor. They're quite subtle effects - bit of scanline, bit of blurring, some brightness and colour-level tweaks - nothing crazy like TV-tube distortion, etc. Again, there are no deeper settings, just the 3 presets (so you can't adjust scanline levels, etc.) and the selected filter is applied globally to all games.

You can at least turn the backdrop art off if you like :)

Audio-wise, there are literally no settings. Not even a basic volume level, and the games are incredibly quiet...

All in all, it's surprisingly light on the audiovisual options. Just a few basic video presets, no manual tweaking possible, and (it's worth repeating) no TATE mode. Which is perverse when so many of the games in this compilation were originally vertical-screen.

User Info: LuigisBro

LuigisBro
1 month ago#3
that's disappointing, its annoying that after 20 years we still can't get common sense video options with these compilations, the stupid thing is integer scaling is much simpler to implement than these fancy filters they keep throwing in that most retro gamers do not even use
2018 megatons - handheld Switch, Miyamoto retires, Switch DQXI canceled
  1. Boards
  2. SNK 40th Anniversary Collection
  3. what are the video options?