You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. SNK 40th Anniversary Collection
  3. Anyone else having control problems with this?

User Info: ghostgate2001

ghostgate2001
1 month ago#1
In several of the games in this compilation I've had the left (movement) stick randomly stop responding properly in-game. I'm holding left, but my ship or guy doesn't go left. It starts working normally again soon after, maybe because I tried other directions, but obviously even a moment of messed-up controls gets you killed in games like these.

Also, on exiting Beast Busters, the game-selection menu was constantly going up, as if I was holding up on the left stick. Again, it recovered after I pushed the stick in some other directions, but it seems to be the same issue. It's like the left stick gets "stuck" on a direction for a while.

As far as I'm aware there's nothing wrong with my DS4 - it only seems to happen on this particular compilation.

Anyone else experienced this?

It's also incredibly quiet, with no volume level control that I can see. My TV is on a volume level that's perfect for most games - verging on too loud with some - but I can hardly hear the games in this compilation. Just me?
(edited 1 month ago)

ghostgate2001
1 month ago#2
Damn, this board's deader than corduroy :)

OK, I've established that it's definitely not my DualShock 4, because the same annoying thing happened with a different DualShock 4 that I tried. And I've not had this problem in any other PS4 games.

Was playing Prehistoric Isle, and the plane started constantly pulling to the right during the Allosaur boss fight. When it happens, it always seems to get stuck constantly going right (so left just stops your ship) or up (so down just stops your ship). Haven't seen it get stuck going left or down yet. Wiggling the stick in different directions seems to "fix" it after a second or so, but you've usually lost a life by then.

It happens quite often - about every other play will have one of these loss of control moments at some point during gameplay - so it's not some rare occurence that you could play for hours and never see. It's happened in most of the games that I've played in this compilation, and even one time on the game-select menu! :(

User Info: Vincent7th

Vincent7th
1 month ago#3
I've experienced this too and I saw it reported on another forum I frequent. It seems to be an analog stick calibration issue with the emulator or the games themselves. As you described, inputs just kind of freak out at random every once in awhile.

My solution has been to just not use the analog stick for movement. As long as I don't engage the left analog stick, the issue never seems to happen. I use the d-pad for all movement and the right analog stick for aiming in games that support twin-sticks. Of course this doesn't prevent the same issue from occurring with the right stick. Though this is a bit easier to deal with than your character or ship walking into bullets. A quick spin of the right stick seems to recalibrate things and the issue doesn't pop up again for hours, as you say.

User Info: Ambassador_Kong

Ambassador_Kong
1 month ago#4
I haven't noticed this at all. Granted I haven't played any of the games for more than a few minutes, so take that for what it's worth. If you can specify a game, I'll give it a try and see if I can replicate the problem.
PSN: urienji
Pawn: Io

User Info: Natural_Science

Natural_Science
1 month ago#5
I’m having the exact same issue as OP. Analogue stick gets stuck in a position, usually right. Also noticing how quiet the games are. Should I maybe install this again and see what happens? The games aren’t unplayable but they require too much precision for a bug like this.

ghostgate2001
1 month ago#6
Vincent7th - Thanks for posting. Sorry you're having the same problem, but it's a relief to know I'm not the only one! Yes, an analog stick calibration problem is exactly what it feels like. A bug in the analog-stick polling routine. Hopefully Digital Eclipse are on the case, and thanks for the suggestion about sticking to the dpad for now - why didn't I think of that as a workaround? :)

Ambassador_Kong - Seems to be a general bug reading the analog sticks. I've had it happen in most of the games I've played - multiple times in Alpha Mission, Vanguard, and Prehistoric Isle - and it even happened in the game-select menu one time. It seems to happen during "frantic" moments, so my guess is it's related to pushing the stick hard in a direction, or making sudden sharp directional changes.

User Info: Ambassador_Kong

Ambassador_Kong
1 month ago#7
I tried playing every game in the collection for five to ten minutes and I didn't experience any control issues. I tried both arcade and console versions when possible, but nothing. It's very odd. I'm playing from a disc on a PS4 slim. What are you guys playing on?

User Info: Vincent7th

Vincent7th
1 month ago#8
Disc version here. Playing on a Pro with Boost Mode enabled. Maybe I'll try switching that off to see if it does anything. Could be some odd compatibility issue.

User Info: wolfwing

wolfwing
1 month ago#9
It happened me in alpha mission usually rewidng it a few times worked tehre, not sure if it would go away on it's own in a less time senastive game.
PSN wolfwing
wolfwing posted...
It happened me in alpha mission usually rewidng it a few times worked tehre, not sure if it would go away on it's own in a less time senastive game.

Alpha Mission is the game I played longest and I never experienced any problems. I'll have to give it another try. Are you using an external drive?
  1. Boards
  2. SNK 40th Anniversary Collection
  3. Anyone else having control problems with this?