• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
  3. So I tried this game on ps3 but found it dull and boring..

User Info: moogle69

moogle69
1 month ago#1
I did not get far though, I keep hearing people saying that this is a loot based game and that you can put thousands of hours in it doing exactly that.

Is it like diablo series, path of exiled, torchlight like good?
SWITCH FC: SW-7112-9351-8340
Hyped: LOH:TOCSIII/IV, SMTV, DxM, Bloodstained, FE: 3 houses, DQXIS, YW4, CTR:NF, LOZ:LAR, Astral Chain, Pokemon S&S

User Info: Jmanghan

Jmanghan
1 month ago#2
moogle69 posted...
I did not get far though, I keep hearing people saying that this is a loot based game and that you can put thousands of hours in it doing exactly that.

If those are the games you're into, stick with them.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen is a combat-driven game as well as loot-based.

There is nowhere near as much loot as Diablo, but it is an important part of the game.

You need to give it a chance.

I am impatient in a lot of things, but this game is by far one of my favorite RPG's of all time.

The pawn system, the combat, the exploration, the weapons and armor, WOO, the weapons and armor.

Above all else, you play this game to experience a deep, rewarding combat system in a decently large open-world.
Dragon's Dogma Pawn: Zoth (Class: Fighter)
PSN: Ghj547.

User Info: Gemma1

Gemma1
1 month ago#3
moogle69 posted...

Hi:
I’ve put thousands of hours into Diablo 3/RoS on PS3/PS4. One of the things I most enjoyed about playing Diablo was that the loot flowed like water. The second thing I enjoyed about Diablo was that I could play with friends, and even ‘carry’ or be ‘carried’ through the content. The third thing I liked was dupilicating legendary gear to give to friends.

What I enjoy about Dragon’s Dogma is the glorious combat, the character creation, and the sense of accomplishment when I, and I alone beat a major boss in the game. I enjoy creating an OP pawn that my friends and/or others can use in their game. Lastly, I really like where the camera is located (over the shoulder like Dark Souls) versus isometric (Diablo series, Path of Exile).

Each style of game has their pros and cons. Nothing much has changed for either game in a long time (unless you count the introduction of a couple of classes and Seasons for Diablo, which I don’t).

I even downloaded and tried Path of Exiles (sigh, it’s just Diablo). On PS4, it released with lootboxes to create an OP character right out of the gate (what?!).

I’ll agree with @Jmanghan. Stick with what you enjoy most.
PSN: Gemmalady/pawn: Barahir, Strider/lvl 200, PSN: Gemmalady2345/pawn: Kate, Ranger/lvl 200
Switch: SW-5481-0965-4993

User Info: Jmanghan

Jmanghan
1 month ago#4
What I will say, is, if you enjoy the GRIND alone of getting great gear, you will absolutely adore this game. The combat is fun and it'll keep you coming back for that grind for better and better gear.

Thats what other games seem to bore people with.

You grind to become OP, but the combat doesn't seem too interesting so you give up on the grind.

The difference is, this game is more about the journey getting to better gear as opposed to getting great gear off the bat.

Gear is EVERYWHERE, but there aren't millions of combinations like in Borderlands or Diablo.

In terms of loot and finding good loot, it feels more like Dark Souls then anything. You're more likely to find good loot if you explore places you shouldn't like in Dark Souls, jumping over a dangerous chasm to get to a specific chest, as opposed to Skyrim where loot is awarded to you at the end of whatever dungeon you're in.

So if you're into exploring areas, you'll find loot and you'll love the game, but it won't be as abundant and enemies themselves will very rarely drop gear, so don't count on killing enemies to get weapons and armor.

This game will also not offer you OP gear near the beginning of the game, you can spend gold on stuff thats probably pretty good for YOUR level.

You will be extremely lucky if you find something that was intended for level 40+ that was gotten by you somehow.

But really, almost all weapons can function well against higher level enemies if you know what skills to use, what buffs to bring, and what the specific creature is weak against.

At the end of the day, loot is important, and you can look pretty awesome in the game, but this game is about the combat, the pawn system, etc.

If you're only playing it to be super OP and mess people up and get super op gear right out the gate, you're playing it for the wrong reasons.
Dragon's Dogma Pawn: Zoth (Class: Fighter)
PSN: Ghj547.

User Info: JMLSP

JMLSP
1 month ago#5
I wouldn't say you grind for gear on DD, except for that one place from the DLC that you'll probably want to be at least lvl 100 to go.

The fun on this game is all about the amazing combat and the pawns.
GT: JMLSP Pawn: Marina lvl 200 strider; Alt: HopedBeef41 Pawn: Yvar lvl 200 warrior; Alt: WifelyTrain0711 Pawn: Aeariel lvl 200 sorceress

User Info: Gemma1

Gemma1
1 month ago#6
JMLSP posted...
I wouldn't say you grind for gear on DD, except for that one place from the DLC that you'll probably want to be at least lvl 100 to go.

The fun on this game is all about the amazing combat and the pawns.

I agree. You’ll get a ‘sword’ that you can use to hasten the process of grinding for armor/weapons/skill rings. Still...the journey getting there is half the fun. Probably the most fun I’ve had in a game to date. Seeing your frends’ pawns and utilizing them is great too.

Somehow I feel I’m preaching to the choir, at least to those who enjoy the game!
PSN: Gemmalady/pawn: Barahir, Strider/lvl 200, PSN: Gemmalady2345/pawn: Kate, Ranger/lvl 200
Switch: SW-5481-0965-4993

JMLSP
1 month ago#7
We forgot to mention fashion dogma too.
GT: JMLSP Pawn: Marina lvl 200 strider; Alt: HopedBeef41 Pawn: Yvar lvl 200 warrior; Alt: WifelyTrain0711 Pawn: Aeariel lvl 200 sorceress

User Info: tw1g_007

tw1g_007
1 month ago#8
How do you go about figuring out attack ranges. Max ATK possible is a ridiculous 958. Do we really need to aim as high as the 800s post game? What about creatures immune to physical damage? Assuming you focused your build on strictly physical attacks rather than mix how do you even handle this situation? First time I will be dedicating some serious time to this game.
MHPortable 3rd AGGL Legend. I am one of the main reasons Bushido & Brave Gunlancing exists today on MHX/X. Please show appropriate respect. Thank you.

JMLSP
1 month ago#9
tw1g_007 posted...
How do you go about figuring out attack ranges. Max ATK possible is a ridiculous 958. Do we really need to aim as high as the 800s post game? What about creatures immune to physical damage? Assuming you focused your build on strictly physical attacks rather than mix how do you even handle this situation? First time I will be dedicating some serious time to this game.

You don't have to worry about your build. Just go trying all vocations and you'll be fine. About creatures immune to physical attacks, when I play with a pure physical build on my main account on the xbox, I just go with 2 casting pawns, usually either a mage and a sorcerer, so I can have a healer or 2 sorcerers so they can cast faster. I also played with 3 sorcerers a few times... It is kinda fun too.

User Info: womackcn

womackcn
1 month ago#10
To each their own. People rave about Skyrim, Dark Souls, and BotW. After playing this and those for hundreds of hours, I can say without a doubt that I this is the better game of those four (imo ofc). Skyrim lacks engaging combat, Botw simply isn't replayable due to no ng+, and Dark Souls doesn't let you remake character in ng+ like this does. If you want upgradable weapons, open exploration, the ability to remake your character, and great combat I cannot think of another game.
Youtube: fluffybuttgaming.com
Twitch: twitch.tv/fluffybuttgaming
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
  3. So I tried this game on ps3 but found it dull and boring..
  • Topic Archived