• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Starcraft
  3. Campaign Difficulty Rant

User Info: Lenny86

Lenny86
3 years ago#1
EDIT: below salt is about original starcraft game (haven't reached brood war expansion missions yet)

I've been browsing other gaming sites and it seems like most players agree that sc and bw have easy campaigns... because theyre scripted. Yeah, ofc theyre easy if you read a guide/walkthrough/try multiple times. If you've played it before, you know what happens, its even better than having scouting info. How many people actually manage to beat the campaign missions on their first tries? As Terran/Zerg I could do a few first time, but near the end of the Protoss missions in SC it was becoming ridiculous. Multiple restarts, or only 1 after reading a guide. Like the campaign stopped being fun after every mission forced you to turtle and then steamroll, it punishes creativity and aggressive play. The micro is useless, it's all a-move macro game. I win AI games with 60 APM watching workers gather minerals vs. losing with 140+ APM microing units. Even the most aggressive strats according to guides involve rushing reavers or ultras. If you wait too long the AI gets fed and you cant kill faster than they rebuild. What a load of BS. What an overrated campaign. SC2 story much better (I didn't play it but I read it all and watched all the cutscenes). Sure you can beat AI by attacking and leaving and repeating, but dear god I wanted to play SC for a story not to grind every mission - which is what it feels like if you can only afford to take out a gateway and some pylons on each push. Maybe this was fun 2 decades ago, but today no. just no.

I'm glad multiplayer isnt as awful as the campaign.
i like to party

Lenny86
3 years ago#2
Yeah just got to Battle for Braxis, it's a filler mission that I'm not going to micro through. Power overwhelming!

Still salty about deathball missions tho.
i like to party

Lenny86
3 years ago#3
I know I'm the only one posting in this thread but I should mention I'm no longer salty about Brood War. I just downloaded the Mass Recall mod (Brood War using SC2 engine) and it is amazing. I love Brood War's story now, I'm actually going to play through old missions again just because it feels, looks, and sounds so damn good on SC2 versus brood war.
i like to party
  1. Boards
  2. Starcraft
  3. Campaign Difficulty Rant
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A