• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Mortal Kombat 11
  3. Get that "optimal combo" excuse out of here, combos are just limited
Lol nrs shills invaded. How dare u have criticism of the game.
Official Shao Kahn of the Mk11 boards.

User Info: shale101

shale101
2 days ago#22
I'm glad people complain......Maybe the next Mortal Kombat game will have better combos with all the complaints. People are obviously not happy.

User Info: TheProfessah

TheProfessah
2 days ago#23
Optimal combo isn't always the best combo. These players have difficulty thinking on their feet so they rely on overwhelming their opponent with the same tricky combo. Sometimes it works. It's really unfun to play against but what are you gonna do. You move on. But this doesn't always work. They obviously become predictable so if you can stay in the moment and not get frustrated, you can time them and break up their combo. Once this happens, they get shook because like I said before, they can't improvise and now theyre one and only plan is out. There is also value in being able to actually think about what you're doing as you do it and use combos that may not be optimal to make the range and timing confusing to your opponent. Its SO much more satisfying. It feels like you're actually playing the game instead of just desperately trying to win and be done with it.

There is variety, some people are just really spazzed out playing this game that they're afraid to branch out.
"Bury me with my money."

TheProfessah
2 days ago#24
shale101 posted...
I'm glad people complain......Maybe the next Mortal Kombat game will have better combos with all the complaints. People are obviously not happy.
Im glad people offer criticism. But complaining is b****y and childish. Make your point and don't throw a tantrum like a b****. No one should ever have to listen to a tantrum. It's so easy to ignore so it shouldn't be surprising that message boards are an awful resource for fan opinions. It seems like most people here really don't get that.
"Bury me with my money."

User Info: Duck1988

Duck1988
2 days ago#25
RchHomieQuanChi posted...
I think REO or Tom Brady said something that resonated with me regarding this game. There's little to no discovery.

It's like the game and its characters were designed to play a very specific way and you absolutely cannot deviate from that. Everything the characters are capable of was discovered in like a week and it's all exactly as NRS intended. It's probably why certain strategies can feel so oppressive to deal with sometimes. You make the characters so watered down and so damn predictable, you have to compensate for it by making it a nightmare for the other player to deal with even when they know it's coming. At this point, every time I see a player pick a certain character, I know EXACTLY how the match will play out.

Even just allowing kustom variations in Ranked would increase longevity exponentially because it will allow players to discover new strategies and play in ways that aren't so pigeon holed. Would some stuff come out that's totally broken? Sure. But we live in 2020, that's why you're able to patch things now.
You said it best, 100% agree.

Duck1988
2 days ago#26
TheProfessah posted...
Optimal combo isn't always the best combo. These players have difficulty thinking on their feet so they rely on overwhelming their opponent with the same tricky combo. Sometimes it works. It's really unfun to play against but what are you gonna do. You move on. But this doesn't always work. They obviously become predictable so if you can stay in the moment and not get frustrated, you can time them and break up their combo. Once this happens, they get shook because like I said before, they can't improvise and now theyre one and only plan is out. There is also value in being able to actually think about what you're doing as you do it and use combos that may not be optimal to make the range and timing confusing to your opponent. Its SO much more satisfying. It feels like you're actually playing the game instead of just desperately trying to win and be done with it.

There is variety, some people are just really spazzed out playing this game that they're afraid to branch out.
Gonna have to disagree with there being variety, there's not a ton of it. My main was Skarlet and if I wanted to do a mid-screen combo well than guess what? My only option was to land a 212 string and that was it, where's the variety in that? One option? Than once I did land the 212 string, I only had a couple of things I could follow up with. Where's the variety in that? This is why you're seeing the same repetitive combos over and over, because that's all you're allowed to do.

There are literally no options to branch out and be creative, you're stuck with doing whatever NRS wanted you to do with each character. It's like red tape is covering them and saying no you're only allowed to do this and that, no exploration or freedom for you.

User Info: Mechani11Kong

Mechani11Kong
2 days ago#27
Duck1988 posted...
Gonna have to disagree with there being variety, there's not a ton of it. My main was Skarlet and if I wanted to do a mid-screen combo well than guess what? My only option was to land a 212 string and that was it, where's the variety in that? One option? Than once I did land the 212 string, I only had a couple of things I could follow up with. Where's the variety in that? This is why you're seeing the same repetitive combos over and over, because that's all you're allowed to do.

There are literally no options to branch out and be creative, you're stuck with doing whatever NRS wanted you to do with each character. It's like red tape is covering them and saying no you're only allowed to do this and that, no exploration or freedom for you.

Skarlet isn't even a combo character, most players rarely go for 212 because her best options are zoning or using a attack then cancelling into a blood ball to set up some pressure.

Get that "optimal combo" excuse out of here, combos are just limited

Do you hate every MK? Like everyone has pointed out, every NRS game has their go-to BNB's. If you strayed from that, you were only limiting yourself on purpose. I guess that's variety to you? People say optimal combos because that's been "the thing" since MK9. I didn't know MK was suddenly a series only known for it's huge vast array of combos.

Like I said before I WANT more strings and specials added to the game but the way you go about it is ugh.
PSN: Shin-Kong
(edited 2 days ago)
I'm reminded of MKX where combos were crazy. With Johnny you could toss a fireball from fullscreen, run in and continue the combo due to hitstun.

I want you to grab your nuts. Grab your balls. I want you to take a handful, and just grab your nuts real quick. Swivel 'em around in a circular motion.
-LTG

Duck1988
2 days ago#29
Mechani11Kong posted...
Skarlet isn't even a combo character, most players rarely go for 212 because her best options are zoning or using a attack then cancelling into a blood ball to set up some pressure.

Do you hate every MK? Like everyone has pointed out, every NRS game has their go-to BNB's. If you strayed from that, you were only limiting yourself on purpose. I guess that's variety to you? People say optimal combos because that's been "the thing" since MK9. I didn't know MK was suddenly a series only known for it's huge vast array of combos.

Like I said before I WANT more strings and specials added to the game but the way you go about it is ugh.
Skarlet is just one character, there are many more who rely on only one string or special for combos.

What's variety to me? My main in MK9 having 5 ways to land combos and not rely on one thing, that's variety to me. If I wanted to try and open somebody up than I had 5 routes I could go with, in MK11 I have one or two routes.

TheProfessah
2 days ago#30
Duck1988 posted...

Kano has plenty. IDK about Skarlet. Maybe pick a different character to main that more fits your play style
"Bury me with my money."
  1. Boards
  2. Mortal Kombat 11
  3. Get that "optimal combo" excuse out of here, combos are just limited
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A