• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Mortal Kombat 11
  3. Get that "optimal combo" excuse out of here, combos are just limited

User Info: MKScorpion

MKScorpion
1 week ago#11
This happens in every game. Once everything is discovered you are going to see the same stuff because like you said what is optimal is what is being used. Idk how it's an excuse when it's just the truth and how things are in fighting games.

User Info: Duck1988

Duck1988
1 week ago#12
MKScorpion posted...
This happens in every game. Once everything is discovered you are going to see the same stuff because like you said what is optimal is what is being used. Idk how it's an excuse when it's just the truth and how things are in fighting games.
Optimal combos exist in every game, but why is MK11 seeing the least variety of combos compared to other games? Well as I already explained the combo system is limited and lacks depth, you're forced to choose from a very limited amount of options.

User Info: MKScorpion

MKScorpion
1 week ago#13
Duck1988 posted...
Optimal combos exist in every game, but why is MK11 seeing the least variety of combos compared to other games? Well as I already explained the combo system is limited and lacks depth, you're forced to choose from a very limited amount of options.

I don't see this. I also play SFV and the "variety" is based on what resources the player has available like their super meter, or if they hit a crush counter. Other than maybe Nemo's Urien nobody is out here swagging on people with crazy different combos.
I think REO or Tom Brady said something that resonated with me regarding this game. There's little to no discovery.

It's like the game and its characters were designed to play a very specific way and you absolutely cannot deviate from that. Everything the characters are capable of was discovered in like a week and it's all exactly as NRS intended. It's probably why certain strategies can feel so oppressive to deal with sometimes. You make the characters so watered down and so damn predictable, you have to compensate for it by making it a nightmare for the other player to deal with even when they know it's coming. At this point, every time I see a player pick a certain character, I know EXACTLY how the match will play out.

Even just allowing kustom variations in Ranked would increase longevity exponentially because it will allow players to discover new strategies and play in ways that aren't so pigeon holed. Would some stuff come out that's totally broken? Sure. But we live in 2020, that's why you're able to patch things now.
I have nothing else to say
BTW, I don't think combo variety is the issue. There's optimal combos in every game, as people have stated.

The big problem is how restricted you are to playing a certain way. Every time I play against an Emerald Defender Jade, I find myself rolling my eyes at how every single one just does fullscreen keepaway with her purple glow. But then I have to remind myself that it's the only way she's allowed to be played because she otherwise can't do anything else.
I have nothing else to say

User Info: Anitathequeen

Anitathequeen
6 days ago#16
Sonya has the hardest optimal in the game barely anyone does it =[

User Info: Benlo

Benlo
6 days ago#17
Yep, lack of surprise effect and creativity. One combo route, repeated again and again.

That's how your game can become boring if there is no new refreshing element.

Nrs, add new moves, rework some variations.

User Info: Damone

Damone
6 days ago#18
MKScorpion posted...
I don't see this. I also play SFV and the "variety" is based on what resources the player has available like their super meter, or if they hit a crush counter. Other than maybe Nemo's Urien nobody is out here swagging on people with crazy different combos.
My man has never seen Optimal Menat, Zeku, Gil, Laura Trigger Set ups, Seth, Dictator, Juri or Ibuki huh?

User Info: Damone

Damone
6 days ago#19
Anitathequeen posted...
Sonya has the hardest optimal in the game barely anyone does it =[
That s*** aint hard

User Info: bluepet

bluepet
6 days ago#20
Wahwahwahwahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhammmmmbullllllllaaaance.
"Har, har..."
  1. Boards
  2. Mortal Kombat 11
  3. Get that "optimal combo" excuse out of here, combos are just limited
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A