• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Mortal Kombat 11
  3. Is The MK Identity/Brand Now Doomed Because Of Too Many Guest?

User Info: grandabx

grandabx
1 week ago#1
My view:

1. Guest are fine as long as they're rare.

2. MK11's first character pack has half of its content being guest over fan favorites (like the ninjas). The pack is being stretched out longer than normal, so no fan favorites for a very long time (besides Sindel). Who's to say MK11 will survive another year. The regular fan base has no reason to stick around when their characters is known as highly wanted, but can be disregarded by a guest character.

3. Many people like guest characters (me included).

4. How do you create player retention/brand growth with guest? Just like all the players from other scenes returning to their original scene, it seems the NRS' games are more front-loaded then peter out after the novelty wears off. Look at many other fighting games without guest.Potential player retention is maximized. Games that put in too many guest will have future retention problems.

5. NRS' games are starting to look more like advertising platforms than games for MK fans.

6. Tekken's guest dlc approach is way better Imo.
"in Japan, I can be my own antenna, but abroad that doesn't work". - Satoru Iwata
(message deleted)

grandabx
1 week ago#3
Player_10 posted...
Guests are not what killed MK...

I have my theories, but what do you think did?
"in Japan, I can be my own antenna, but abroad that doesn't work". - Satoru Iwata

User Info: Reece504

Reece504
1 week ago#4
grandabx posted...
Player_10 posted...
Guests are not what killed MK...

I have my theories, but what do you think did?

What always kills it greed and also poor content management imo them drip feeding us characters and making these timed towers have skins locked behind it instead of having other options to unlock them. People with work schedules tend to miss certain events never to be seen again.
PSN:Knickyknucklez 360:Kn1ckyknucklez Wii-U:KnickyKnucklez

User Info: buddyboy101

buddyboy101
1 week ago#5
No, here’s what killed MK:

Lying to fans and omitting material information about the game, which was widely panned upon release.

Taking fans for granted and abusing their time through drip feed gear unlocks, misdirection, misinformation, and a lack of communication.

Manipulating the roster by omitting undisputed fan favs, just to save them for MK12, as they did with Noob in MK11.

Removing any character or soul from MK and making it feel like Injustice, especially with respect to sound design, music, stage design, and presentation.

Lackluster DLC (except for Shang and Spawn)

Exclusive KL or RAT skins/gear.

Extremely derivative and repetitive skins and gear.

Lack of modes and smallest base roster in years.

I’m just getting started, but basically anything beyond the gameplay is garbage.
(message deleted)

User Info: ShadowRaiden00

ShadowRaiden00
1 week ago#7
lol, no

lot of gamefaqs logic here
Black Chapters
http://i.imgur.com/T5VJ5Mi.gifv http://i.imgur.com/F3Yu7Aw.gifv http://i.imgur.com/7s86tr1.gif https://i.imgur.com/9AWzF1C.gifv
(edited 1 week ago)

User Info: DZilla1080

DZilla1080
1 week ago#8
Mk definitely has lost its identity with all these guests. That's what primarily killed it for me. Then the gameplay and presentation bored me.

User Info: lilhurk1985187

lilhurk1985187
1 week ago#9
Nope. Not anywhere close. It has been proven time and time again that guests outsell every other dlc. They arent going anywhere. Also 4 guests to a roster of 28+ is nothing. MK is not doomed or dead.
Kid Buu>>>>>>>All other Buu.
(edited 1 week ago)

grandabx
1 week ago#10
lilhurk1985187 posted...
Nope. Not anywhere close. It has been proven time and time again that guests outsell every other dlc. They arent going anywhere. Also 4 guests to a roster of 28+ is nothing. MK is not doomed or dead.

But the problem is the guest are coming at a much faster rate than any other game MK or other.
  1. Boards
  2. Mortal Kombat 11
  3. Is The MK Identity/Brand Now Doomed Because Of Too Many Guest?
  • Post New Message