• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Mortal Kombat 11
  3. Don't people get tired of nostalgia?

User Info: Feral_Thug

Feral_Thug
1 week ago#1
How many times are we going to see Sonya, Kano, Johnny, Jax, Liu Kang, Kung Lao, Kitana, before people get tired of them and want something new? They take up half the roster in almost every game. I understand people who are adults now grew up with MK trilogy as a kid and love these classics but even though I played Liu Kang a tons as a kid I'm sick of him now and want some more variety. It has been 15 years since DA/Deception, a whole new generation who grew up with them are now adults, but they don't get any nostalgia recognition.

User Info: Spiritlittle

Spiritlittle
1 week ago#2
Feral_Thug posted...
How many times are we going to see Sonya, Kano, Johnny, Jax, Liu Kang, Kung Lao, Kitana, before people get tired of them and want something new? They take up half the roster in almost every game. I understand people who are adults now grew up with MK trilogy as a kid and love these classics but even though I played Liu Kang a tons as a kid I'm sick of him now and want some more variety. It has been 15 years since DA/Deception, a whole new generation who grew up with them are now adults, but they don't get any nostalgia recognition.

Same. I'm glad we're getting a mix of classics, classics that haven't been around in a while, MKX characters, and new.

It's a solid roster overall, especially if Rain and Noob are in.
Official Raven of the Injustice 2 boards
Official Jill Valentine of the Marvel vs Capcom Infinite boards

User Info: Cheribam_J

Cheribam_J
1 week ago#3
Last time we got something new, we got the Kombat Kids.

How can you blame people for sticking to the classics?

Spiritlittle
1 week ago#4
Cheribam_J posted...

We also got Erron Black (super popular), D'Vorah (one of the most impactful story characters in MK history), and Kotal Kahn (an excellent replacement to Shao Kahn).

Also, Takeda and Cassie were very popular.

Only Ferra/Torr, Jacqui, and Kung Jin had mixed reception.

User Info: slimsummers

slimsummers
1 week ago#5
Spiritlittle posted...
Cheribam_J posted...

We also got Erron Black (super popular), D'Vorah (one of the most impactful story characters in MK history), and Kotal Kahn (an excellent replacement to Shao Kahn).

It’s all subjective though.

I’m an old skool player and, as much as I prefer the trilogy characters, I agree new characters are needed each game to freshen things up. But personally I didn’t warm to any of the characters you listed except Kotal (who was a good idea, but I was rubbish at playing as).

Spiritlittle
1 week ago#6
slimsummers posted...
Spiritlittle posted...
Cheribam_J posted...

It’s all subjective though.

I’m an old skool player and, as much as I prefer the trilogy characters, I agree new characters are needed each game to freshen things up. But personally I didn’t warm to any of the characters you listed except Kotal (who was a good idea, but I was rubbish at playing as).

To each his own. Erron Black quickly became one of my all-time favorites. He is always how imagined Roland from Stephen King's The Dark Tower looking.

User Info: IronChef_Kirby

IronChef_Kirby
1 week ago#7
I bet if NetherRealm Studios said "Sorry for the confusion, I know the title looks like Mortal Kombat 11, but it's actually Mortal Kombat II. There's no new game, we're just gonna rerelease MKII." the fanbase would lap it up with glee. Between the fixation on palletswap ninja, the disproportionate hatred of every character that came out after 1996, and the insistence that every female character dress like a stripper, I've yet to see a fanbase as stuck in the past as the MK one.
http://i.imgur.com/faC30Oe.gif
3DS FC: 1375 7308 4517

User Info: C Redfield

C Redfield
1 week ago#8
Yeah but when we want new stuff we're 'gifted' with the likes of Hsu Hao, Mavado, and Hotaru.

I'd gladly trade Kano for Sareena.Never allowed to use her in any game as a big character
Welcome to Gamefaqs. They finally have an edit button.

Spiritlittle
1 week ago#9
C Redfield posted...
Yeah but when we want new stuff we're 'gifted' with the likes of Hsu Hao, Mavado, and Hotaru.

I'd gladly trade Kano for Sareena.

I'll trade Kano for anyone. He's always been lame af to me.

User Info: Dos_Pac

Dos_Pac
1 week ago#10
Feral_Thug posted...

It’s for your own good. If you love Mortal Kombat and want it to keep coming back then you need to recognize that our nostalgia will keep the franchise going while your nostalgia will sink the franchise.

Sub-Zero>Hotaru
Kitana> Li Mei
2pac> lil whatever
PSN: Dos_Pac1980
"Escelastics chapter 3 verse 4, and the latinos shall inherit the earth!"
  1. Boards
  2. Mortal Kombat 11
  3. Don't people get tired of nostalgia?
  • Topic Archived