• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Mortal Kombat 11
  3. Sonya returning might suggest a lackluster character roster.

User Info: -Ghetsis-

-Ghetsis-
1 week ago#1
The Kombat Kids are probably coming back. If they were slated to take the mantle from their parentage, this could lead to interesting character development and direction. However, with Sonya coming back, this opens the door to Johnny’s return and possibly Jax as well.

The Kombat Kids have not been extremely well received. Cassie and Takeda seem to have been rather successful, but Jacqui and Kung Jin not so much. This game could have been an opportunity for them to shine, but i’m afraid that if the older generation returns once again, they will feel even more redundant.

The rest of the roster could shape up to be fine, but with such a big portion of it dedicated to the Kombat Kids and their parents, it could very likely end up feeling a bit disappointing.
They call me Dennis.

User Info: KanonSeaDragon

KanonSeaDragon
1 week ago#2
i fear the same, but lest hope

User Info: AHUGECAT

AHUGECAT
1 week ago#3
I agree. Feels like what happened in 9 and X were a waste. X was supposed to be the "passing of the baton." The problem with having Sonya is that it takes up a spot that another character could use.

I am just not feeling the hype for MK11 anymore, especially if the roster is similar to MKX's. The MK universe is full of demons, gods, sorcerers, ninjas, half-dragons, etc. etc. and yet we focus on boring stupid Special Forces!

The best 2D game (MKII) and the best 3D game (Deception) had no Sonya or Kano... I mean if this roster was 40+ it'd be fine, but if it's 28 then this will suck.

User Info: RisenWarrior

RisenWarrior
1 week ago#4
Kung Jin has a lot of potential in my eyes for sure! As for Ms. Briggs...I really don’t see it for her to be honest. She’s just garbage head to toe, inside and out. She needs a complete redesign from scratch. Moveset too. If they do legacy movesets in any way she should keep nothing.
Official Twitter Stan of all of Gamefaqs

User Info: InhumaneRaider

InhumaneRaider
1 week ago#5
Ya'll take this way too seriously.
Until the president get ashy, Vincent won't be votin'.

User Info: Mechani11Kong

Mechani11Kong
1 week ago#6
AHUGECAT posted...
The problem with having Sonya is that it takes up a spot that another character could use.

Literally can say that about any character that doesn't suit your tastes. The reason why it's dumb to say it about Sonya is because she's a mainstay and should be expected everytime. Lots of people think some of the Street Fighter mainstays are boring but you never see thread titles "Jeez...Ryu AGAIN!?"

MK is the only fanbase where I see stuff like "Ugh, Liu Kang? Again?" wtf? Of course they're in. I don't know what the separation is between the SF and MK fanbase that causes this but I think it's because we have a bunch of 3D era fans that still think the 3D characters are better somehow.
(message deleted)

User Info: AHUGECAT

AHUGECAT
1 week ago#8
Mechani11Kong posted...
AHUGECAT posted...
The problem with having Sonya is that it takes up a spot that another character could use.

Literally can say that about any character that doesn't suit your tastes. The reason why it's dumb to say it about Sonya is because she's a mainstay and should be expected everytime. Lots of people think some of the Street Fighter mainstays are boring but you never see thread titles "Jeez...Ryu AGAIN!?"

MK is the only fanbase where I see stuff like "Ugh, Liu Kang? Again?" wtf? Of course they're in. I don't know what the separation is between the SF and MK fanbase that causes this but I think it's because we have a bunch of 3D era fans that still think the 3D characters are better somehow.

Read my entire post. I literally mentioned MKII and Deception not having Sonya. They did just fine (best 2D and 3D game respectively).

As I said, in a universe with demons, sorcerers, elder gods, half-dragons, ninjas, etc. etc. the Special Forces are boring as hell. I don't mind some being in the game but I thought the point of X was to move on from Sonya.

User Info: Crimson_Alias

Crimson_Alias
1 week ago#9
Mechani11Kong posted...
AHUGECAT posted...

As AHUGECAT said, the MK universe is filled with cool characters like ninjas, demons, sorcerers, half-dragons, cyborgs, gods, etc. So why fill the roster with boring normal human characters? Even Liu Kang, Johnny Cage, Cassie, Takeda and Kenshi have special powers. Even Kano, with all his new cybernetic enhancements, has something that sets him apart from normal humans. Sonya has nothing. She's a normal human with nothing special. And if the only reason they're bringing her back is because a celebrity is voicing her then that's dumb. Surely they could let Rhonda Rousey do the voice work for a other character.
Posting informative videos is considered "trolling" now?

User Info: Mechani11Kong

Mechani11Kong
1 week ago#10
AHUGECAT posted...
I don't mind some being in the game but I thought the point of X was to move on from Sonya.

People always say that but I don't remember Boon ever saying it. Is there a tweet or interview saying lots of classic mainstays were leaving?

AHUGECAT posted...
Read my entire post. I literally mentioned MKII and Deception not having Sonya. They did just fine (best 2D and 3D game respectively).

and she was brought back straight away in MK3 and the entire 3D era was one big rushed mistake from Midway pressuring Boon to make game after game after game in a short time frame.
  1. Boards
  2. Mortal Kombat 11
  3. Sonya returning might suggest a lackluster character roster.
  • Topic Archived