• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. The Outer Worlds
  3. The Outer Worlds Paradox/Borrowing Greatness

User Info: FreeMan5407

FreeMan5407
1 week ago#1
This video really explain the good and bad of Fallo... i mean The Outer Worlds, and why you shouldn't view TOW as a clone or spiritual successor of that franchise

https://youtu.be/4Ph3C6f_Kc8

I dare to say it will become a classic, once the patches, DLC and probably mod support , it will fix some of the issues
The Witcher 3 , Bloodborne, Devil May Cry 5, The Outer Worlds and God of War are the best games of this gen

User Info: yutterh

yutterh
1 week ago#2
It's closer to KoToR 2 then it is to fallout. Even the game designers mentioned it.
MICHALECOLE is the greatest poster of all time
I have literally watched him bang my mom before
Flying around to different planets with my party of 3 gave me huge mass effect vibes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWMMBWTxkyE

User Info: simonbelmont2

simonbelmont2
1 week ago#4
Yeah, the game gives me more of a KotoR 2 and Mass Effect vibe than Fallout. Some of the weapon designs remind me of Bioshock. The layout of some of the bigger environments (Groundbreaker for example) remind me a bit of Deus Ex.

The aspects of the game that feel Fallout like to me are the dialogue system and some aspects of the levelling system. The rest of the game feels different. Outer Worlds isn't even open world, that alone makes it quite different to Fallout.

I think comparing the game so much to Fallout and calling it a "successor" can do the game some harm. Some people may go into it expecting Fallout and they may be disappointed. That's a bad way to start with a new IP in my opinion. A new IP should be able to stand on its own. I think this is also a problem that blights action games which are referred to as Souls-like.
The technique is so aw...

User Info: FreeMan5407

FreeMan5407
1 week ago#5
The game does provide different vibes, for some odd reasons , i even get Fallout 1 vibes, o know 2 of the original creators made this one, but still

Too bad this game isn't getting much spotlight
The Witcher 3 , Bloodborne, Devil May Cry 5, The Outer Worlds and God of War are the best games of this gen

User Info: SoulOfFayth

SoulOfFayth
1 week ago#6
Yeah eventually I think it can become a strong franchise, but I don't think there's much wrong with the publicity boost of likening it to Fallout. It does have a lot of similarities, and while it may draw in some (Fallout 4) fans who are confused and infuriated by the amount of dialogue and having to make choices, you might as well separate the wheat from the chaff early on. I think it established what it wants to be really well, and people are judging it as if its the suddenly disappointing sequel to an age-old franchise (well, on this site, which isn't really representative of most reasonable humams).
'If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face, for ever.'
  1. Boards
  2. The Outer Worlds
  3. The Outer Worlds Paradox/Borrowing Greatness
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Answers