• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.

User Info: -Samaster-

-Samaster-
4 weeks ago#1
Hi guys, I’ve recently beaten all of N. Tropy’s Ghosts in Time Trial mode, but I was looking for some advice with regards to beating Oxide’s times... I’ve beaten him on Hot Air Skyway, Cortex Castle, Oxide Station and Hyper Spaceway and I’m getting close on other tracks, but I still feel as though I’m missing something...

I think the issue is I’m struggling to maintain SF/USF for long enough and I struggle controlling the speed of USF, so I wondered if you had any tips in that regard... Also regarding U-turning how do you do multiple ones in a row (alternate between X/Square or just hold Square?)

P.S. Any advice re: Sewer Speedway shortcut, I align myself at 90 degrees for the jump, but it just doesn’t seem that consistent (heard they changed half-pipe physics?), are there any indicators for timing that jump? Even with 3 jumps in a row I’m dreading trying to beat the Oxide ghost for that track...
PSN: medprofB900 The Platinum Trophy Hunter rides again...

User Info: SOAD5657

SOAD5657
4 weeks ago#2
With sewer speedway I had the best success just rolling into the half pipe instead of jumping into the approach.

And when you actually jump to enter the shortcut itself, you ALMOST have to do it when it seems a little to late. The timing is very specific.
GET a load of THIS!!!!!

-Samaster-
4 weeks ago#3
I think if I just keep practicing that shortcut I’ll get it eventually... I never thought I beat the Tropy ghosts either so I guess it’s all about perseverance... It does seem strange how some of the hardest tracks e.g. Sewer Speedway, Dragon Mines, have the strictest Oxide times whereas on easy tracks his times are a cakewalk...

User Info: defauIt

defauIt
4 weeks ago#4
The simplest advice is 'left to right' the jump works better that way

When I hit it all 3 laps I beat oxide, im hearing the shortcut isnt necessary with a super clean run

User Info: Olliexlifts

Olliexlifts
4 weeks ago#5
With oxide time trials just remember that you need to basically constantly get triple boost from drifting and when you hit a boost pad make sure you have the best boost from sliding then just slide, triple boost, repeat.. that’s kinda it. Then just memorise the best routes on each track. Some are a lot easier than others tho sometimes you have to drive insane and barely beat him and others you can smash him by like 5 seconds easily, just persevere!
With regards to sewer speedway hitting it head on worked best for me, did it in 3 tries after doing it this way using coco ive lost count of the number of hours spent on that track tho it won’t come easily the timing is horrendously specific.

-Samaster-
4 weeks ago#6
Thanks for the advice guys, I feel like I’m improving all the time, hopefully if I can break the “glass ceiling” ceiling so to speak on my skill level I should be able to beat Oxide’s times... I’ve heard avoiding jumping and going instead for triple boosts is key to getting faster times as well? Either way I’m not throwing in the towel anytime soon! :D

User Info: Olliexlifts

Olliexlifts
4 weeks ago#7
-Samaster- posted...
Thanks for the advice guys, I feel like I’m improving all the time, hopefully if I can break the “glass ceiling” ceiling so to speak on my skill level I should be able to beat Oxide’s times... I’ve heard avoiding jumping and going instead for triple boosts is key to getting faster times as well? Either way I’m not throwing in the towel anytime soon! :D

Yeah your boost reserves are important for maintaining sacred fire! Triple boost slides > jumping as they changed the mechanic from the original just jump when it’s obvious to like on boost ramps and gaps etc

User Info: LivingInPapaya

LivingInPapaya
4 weeks ago#8
90% of the time when somebody feels like they're just losing their fire, it's because of one of two reasons

- They're not getting Perfect boosts, instead settling for Good boosts because they're too distracted to properly time it
- They're not drift-boosting enough, only really drifting on corners and not straights

The essence of holding reserves is to be drifting as much as possible and laying down Perfect boosts. Good boosts are still important to 'bridge' together in spots where there isn't enough time, but if you can Perfect, you gotta Perfect.
Living through a cycle of nightmares, and they don't fight fair
GT - Vanessa Magick /// PSN - VanessaMagick

-Samaster-
4 weeks ago#9
I’ll give that a try then with nailing the perfect boost timing to keep USF going, hopefully not jumping up the ramps and triple boosting instead will help my improve my times e.g. on N. Gin Labs, if I can master U-turns as well (doing it on analogue stick atm, can’t get my head around D-pad) then I should be golden...

P.S. Is it faster to take the shortcut or go up the spiral turn on Dragon Mines...

User Info: ox0shadow0xo

ox0shadow0xo
4 weeks ago#10
Yeah, definitely practice getting perfect boosts. It makes such a big difference in maintaining sf/usf for longer periods of time.

I'm still working on the time trials too, but I already knocked out the most hated ones. The trick that worked for me on the sewer speedway shortcut was this guy's video

https://youtu.be/zs4tvCg7PVI

Basically triple drift boost in the section leading up to the shortcut and then jump. People in the comments also suggested holding down on the dpad as you jump, so I combined that with it. It wasn't a 100% method, but it worked a lot more often than what I was doing before.
PSN - NoxObscuras
  • Topic Archived