• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Crash Team Racing: Nitro-Fueled
  3. Oh... So I guess that's that then. And here I thought I'd actually get Tropy

User Info: sacman64

sacman64
1 month ago#31
ToveriJuri posted...
Don't worry about those particular moments In the video I just used the time spat to signify the spots. I was just saying how to tackle them in general. Don't start as close to the corner and mostly just try to do the U-turn when you are higher in the Air.

But really, the most important thing is the boosting. Perfect is just that much better than Good and chaining perfects whenever you can is important. If you start consciously aiming for mostly perfects you'll get used to how the Kart handles with them. In fact you can use the perfect boosts to help you with your turns. If it seems like perfect boosting shoots you into the walls too much, maybe try doing that with coco as she has much better turning than Dingodile.

edit: when you U-turn you have to release the break before you hit the ground unless you jump again straight away. Also make sure you do it with the D-pad. IT's really wonky with the analog stick. Hold Down and left or down and right depending on the direction you are trying to go. From seeing some of your attempts at U-turning they kind of move with the inertia and make you stop when actually they should be moving you full speed the direction you want. That happens to me generally when I botch my directional input.

Perhaps. I don't know. I might give it another shot with Balanced and Turning classes. The thing is, those 5 minute snippets came from almost 30 min of play. I've got so many other things I could be doing in this game or in others (or IRL in general) so when I see no real improvement over the course of the time I've already put in, I just don't see the point in wasting more time right now.

Again, I truly appreciate the help and I know my defeatist attitude doesn't help anyone but that's how I'm feeling right now.

User Info: GameReviews

GameReviews
1 month ago#32
sacman64 posted...
Honestly @GameReviews I'm pretty much at that point. I've got to head out for a couple of hours though. I thank you for the offer... Maybe another time?

Well, I'm not available until tonight at the earliest (east coast) so if you're still frustrated shoot me a message.

Cortex Castle is probably my favorite track in the entire game. Once you figure it out, it's actually a really well-designed course that, while difficult for some, it is very possible to get a perfect run.

I watched some of your two videos and my biggest tips are as follows:

- Avoid obstacles at all costs. You keep hitting spiders and it ruins your speed. You're better off breaking or hopping or taking a bad race line than hitting obstacles, because they entirely empty your boost reserves.

- Stop brushing up against the walls. Again, this entirely ruins your boost. You don't need to get so close to them.

- You need to learn how to air brake turn on all the sharp corners that have jumps, especially the one on the split path near the beginning of the track. Doing so gives you a perfect setup for the next section of track.

Those three things are costing you huge amounts of time.
Sign here.

User Info: sacman64

sacman64
1 month ago#33
@GameReviews

I say this as nicely as possible, please don't take this as me snapping at you.

Obviously the spiders and walls are going to kill my boost. I know that. When I hit the spider toward the end, that's on me. I need to get better at what line to take/it's timing while I have USF. The others... Well, I guess overall it's just tough for me to control the speed. The first one at the beginning I'm pretty good at avoiding but then BAM! wall. I really don't know what else to do.

As for air braking/u-turns... What am I doing wrong? In the videos am I not actually doing it? Or how can I do it better?

User Info: defauIt

defauIt
1 month ago#34
Im seeing a lot that can be cleaned up, it would be hard to do a write up

For the fork in the road at the beginning it seems like you powersliding past the first spider 3 times, you might want to powerslide past him once then set up your powerslide for the fork u turn jump, because its one of the make or break moments of the track

Then in general a lot of these corners you can shave of time by covering less distance

But if you can maintain your blue flame from the last jump through the start line, I think you could probably destroy these ghosts

Aim for 50 second laps I think, I forgot what you need

User Info: defauIt

defauIt
1 month ago#35
Powerslide into the leftish side of the staircase, you can then jump down two , get a bigger boost, and also have a better angle at the shortcut

User Info: GameReviews

GameReviews
1 month ago#36
sacman64 posted...
@GameReviews

I say this as nicely as possible, please don't take this as me snapping at you.

Obviously the spiders and walls are going to kill my boost. I know that. When I hit the spider toward the end, that's on me. I need to get better at what line to take/it's timing while I have USF. The others... Well, I guess overall it's just tough for me to control the speed. The first one at the beginning I'm pretty good at avoiding but then BAM! wall. I really don't know what else to do.

As for air braking/u-turns... What am I doing wrong? In the videos am I not actually doing it? Or how can I do it better?

Just don't even go under the spiders if you're that bad at timing it. The 1/2 second you'll lose from going between them is better than the several seconds you lose from hitting one.

For the air brake, you need to have more boost going up the ramp, and then hop at the very top of it to get the most height possible before brake turning in the air.

Also, hop around corners of you're in danger of touching a wall. You can't maintain boost as well by hopping in this game as you could in the original CTR, but it's better than touching a wall.
Sign here.

User Info: BlueBoy675

BlueBoy675
1 month ago#37
I can upload one of my runs later as a frame of reference if you want
Hope rides alone

User Info: GodOfTheSun

GodOfTheSun
1 month ago#38
You have to take the shortcut and keep the blue flame in the last jump. It took me a lot of time for Tropy to appear there too, until I did the shortcuts thrice in the 3 laps.

User Info: BlueBoy675

BlueBoy675
1 month ago#39
Here you go TC. Not a perfect run, but it shows that it’s totally doable

https://youtu.be/NK7l_FLSCYQ
Hope rides alone

User Info: ToveriJuri

ToveriJuri
1 month ago#40
Here I made quick example run. I do all kinds of silly screw ups all over the place pay no mind to those.
However look at how I do the U-turns (Air Braking) when Compared to your videos.

https://youtu.be/4JSqUJdX-1k?t=13

Starting from 0:13 (another one at 0:25) As you see I I carry the moment with the turn and keep my speed. I don't stop at any point. That's how an Air Braking U-turn is supposed to look like. Yours kind of stop halfway through.

There are also couple points where I use the Air braking to carry the sacred flame from tight corners, but you really don't need to do that to unlock and beat N Tropy.
PSN: ToveriJuri
  1. Boards
  2. Crash Team Racing: Nitro-Fueled
  3. Oh... So I guess that's that then. And here I thought I'd actually get Tropy
  • Topic Archived