• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: The Black Order
  3. DC game similar to Ultimate Alliance 3

User Info: kevin804635

kevin804635
3 months ago#11
I threw an idea out there eons ago (before this game even came out) for a DC villain version of MUA which would be a great differentiator from this hero driven game.

Maybe something based on Forever Evil where the Earth 3 Justice League turn the heroes on each other then take them out. The villains, fearing subjugation, come together to fight evil versions of the DC heroes culminating in a fight with the Ultraman/Owlman/Superwoman trinity.

It doesn't have to be set in the New 52 continuity or use those designs, but I definitely would rather build a team of villains to play this style of game in the DCU. I've always dreamed of a Rogues game since they're my favorite villains in comics. I'd wanna see heavy representation from them.

User Info: Azztec

Azztec
3 months ago#12
I'd totally be down for a DC equivalent, but not in the vein of JLH. It was too clunky, restricting and short. Justice League Heroes might be the only Snowblind game that I had no desire to play beyond the first playthrough. Dark Alliance 1 & 2, the Norrath games & War in the North I've played exhaustively, but JLH, I have yet to ever feel the desire to boot it back up.
She told me I was utterly incapable of making a connection. I told her I didn't have any bars.
Gamertag/PSN id: Azzerrific

User Info: jmmiller33

jmmiller33
3 months ago#13
Azztec posted...
I'd totally be down for a DC equivalent, but not in the vein of JLH. It was too clunky, restricting and short. Justice League Heroes might be the only Snowblind game that I had no desire to play beyond the first playthrough. Dark Alliance 1 & 2, the Norrath games & War in the North I've played exhaustively, but JLH, I have yet to ever feel the desire to boot it back up.

I can't imagine that they would actually do a sequel to JLH at this point. If they did anything, it would be a new game entirely.

My hope would be for a game with a 4-character party, just like XML/MUA. In my opinion, 4 characters in the party is just about perfect for a game of this kind.

Also, you should be able to use any character in any stage, with no character restrictions because of the story.

User Info: TrueDozenMarks

TrueDozenMarks
3 months ago#14
jmmiller33 posted...
Azztec posted...

I can't imagine that they would actually do a sequel to JLH at this point. If they did anything, it would be a new game entirely.

My hope would be for a game with a 4-character party, just like XML/MUA. In my opinion, 4 characters in the party is just about perfect for a game of this kind.

Also, you should be able to use any character in any stage, with no character restrictions because of the story.

I honestly really liked how it was structured around you using specific characters in each level.

What I didn't like it how it was stuck that way forever. Once you clear the game you should be able to swap in whoever you want.

jmmiller33
3 months ago#15
TrueDozenMarks posted...

I honestly really liked how it was structured around you using specific characters in each level.

What I didn't like it how it was stuck that way forever. Once you clear the game you should be able to swap in whoever you want.

Totally agree. It made sense the first time through the game's story to have characters corresponding to the story. But on a new game+ playthrough, you should have been able to use any character in any stage.

In some stages of JLH, that would have been impossible, because flying was required and not all characters can fly (e.g., the Queen Bee stage, or the stage where Superman and Wonder Woman are in space). But those stages could/should have been re-designed so that any character can be used.

User Info: Azztec

Azztec
3 months ago#16
jmmiller33 posted...
Azztec posted...

Agreed on all accounts.

I didn't comment on the roster choice in my earlier post. I'm not as fluent in DC as I am Marvel, and some of these names admittedly woosh over my head, but even so, a really solid list. I'd like to squeeze in Stargirl and Huntress for a bit of a personal preference, and maybe Bizarro and Gorilla Grodd for the playable villains. Oh, and Lobo, for whichever pack or team designation the main man feels like filling.

I feel there are a lot of missing characters that fall into murky territory of being potential clones, would over pad the slot budget, and yet are very iconic despite being far too similar to their more mainstream counterparts from a gameplay perspective. Characters, particularly gender mirrors such as Supergirl, Powergirl, Batgirls (Babs, and Cassie Kaine if there's any justice in the world), Batwoman (Kate Kane), multiple GL's (though more on that a little lower) & numerous Young Justice kids (not as necessary but I just like the crew a lot lol).

For DLC/additional chapters, I would like to see a future generation chapter, featuring Terry McGinnis' Batman, Static Shock and the Zeta android.

I also think something could be done with a Lanterns pack. I mean, they could have a basegame GL, sure. And I would imagine Hal Jordan would fit that bill best, but there are so many good lanterns with powers representable by their respective personalities you could make a MUA-esque game just out of the corps extended family alone! (same goes for the extended Bat family I suppose, lol). Whether they stuck with iconic Green Lanterns, or branched out across the various spectrums, I dunno, though it would likely only be feasible to squeeze in four or five - my personal picks would be Kyle Raynor, John Stewart, Arisia and mah boi Kilowog. Maybe Gardner deserves to be in there, I dunno... Guy isn't the most popular dood out there. Would I be right in assuming Jessice Cruz is pretty popular? I've only recently learned of her.

Would also love to see a Young Justice pack, but as mentioned above, it's mostly because I like them despite knowing that they generally represent legacy duplicates that would provide an awful lot of bloat to the roster (although if Wonder Woman was designed with a sword & shield moveset, it'd be killer to have Wonder Girl or Diana Troy to fill the brawler version of her combat style).
She told me I was utterly incapable of making a connection. I told her I didn't have any bars.
Gamertag/PSN id: Azzerrific

User Info: Doyle77

Doyle77
3 months ago#17
I bought it on the original Xbox to play on my 360. It’s also on my modded Xbox original with 30k other Roms. I loved it too.

User Info: VoltEF

VoltEF
3 months ago#18
Haven't read anything but the OP, so apologies if I'm retreading anything. I'd be very interested in this game and would buy it in a heartbeat if it were up to MUA standards, but a few thoughts:

1. Personally, I'd dump the Legion characters in favor of Aqualad, Huntress, Lobo and Wildcat. The Legion characters would add some nice new powersets, but so would Aqualad and Wildcat (if they made him into a counter-type character based on his boxing skills). I've just never been a Legion fan, and really want Huntress to represent the Birds of Prey. And Lobo would make for some great dialogue between characters, assuming this game went more in-depth on that front.

2. I'd much rather see Superboy and/or Supergirl than include Electric Superman.

3. Really, really, really hope that your Robin is the best Robin, Tim Drake (Dick is Nightwing to me, since he switched shortly after I started reading comics in the early 80s). Since you said he uses a staff, I'm assuming so, but still wanna specify. And that brings me to point #4...

4. Which Green Lantern are you using? Hal tends to be the rep in most media, but my personal choice would be Kyle. With that said, you could easily include Hal, Kyle, John, Guy or any other number of other GLs and have them all play completely differently based on the type of constructs they made. And that's without even getting into the other colors of the spectrum. Personally, I'd include Hal, Kyle and John, but I realize some would consider that overkill.

5. My biggest concern, however, is the stages. As much as I enjoyed going around the Marvel Universe, the story in MUA 3 was a mess because it felt like they were more concerned with making a greatest hits album rather than creating a coherent plot, an immersive story and giving us an engaging villain. I'd much rather let the story determine our locations and villains than to hit a quota of Superman villains just to say we got them in there. If that means we go to the super-similar Gotham and Bludhaven, but never travel to Themiscyra (Paradise Island, if you prefer!) or Oa, then so be it. Even if it means we don't get to face Cheetah or Sinestro.
http://www.jageorgewriting.com
Writing, rants and ridiculousness

jmmiller33
3 months ago#19
@VoltEF

Your concerns about the roster are similar to those of @Azztec (see above), which is basically "Where are all the legacy and spin-off characters?"

My basic idea would be to handle it much in the same way as they do in Injustice 2, with the so-called 'premier skins'. So, for example, in Injustice 2 you have one spot on the roster for Green Lantern, but there is a 'premier skin' that allows you to play as John Stewart, who has a different voice actor than Hal Jordan. Again, Mr. Freeze is a 'premier skin' for Captain Cold; they have different voice actors, but the same move set. Silver Banshee is a 'premier skin' for Black Canary; Power Girl is a 'premier skin' for Supergirl; Black Lightning is a 'premier skin' for Raiden; Jay Garrick is a 'premier skin' for Barry Allen.

In some cases, these 'premier skin' characters have a somewhat different move set from the default; in other cases, they have the exact same move set.

So regarding the list I posted above, my idea would be that if two characters share the same move set and both are male (e.g., Hal Jordan and John Stewart, or Barry Allen and Wally West), then they should not take up 2 different spots on the roster, but should occupy one spot, have the same move set, but have distinct voice actors, with different lines (so for example, if Guy Gardner was a 'premier skin', he should not have the same voice or the same lines as John Stewart).

If two characters share the same move set, but one character is female (this applies to many of the classic female DC characters, such as Supergirl, Batgirl, Hawkgirl, Mary Marvel, etc.), then in some cases they should have their own unique spot on the roster. For example, I think it was a good idea in MUA3 to make Spider-Gwen a distinct spot on the roster, with her own unique set of moves, rather than trying to make her an alternate skin for Peter Parker. Again, in Injustice 2 Supergirl is not a clone of Superman, but has her own unique move set and her own spot on the roster.

Bottom line is that it should be on a case-by-case basis. In my opinion, a game like this should try to limit as much as possible the 'legacy' characters having their own spots on the roster, because if you have 3 different spots for Green Lanterns, those spots could have been used for lesser-known but awesome DC characters (e.g., Mister Terrific). But some legacy characters are just too classic to leave out, and so the developers would need to decide 'Should this character be a 'premier skin', or a distinct roster spot?'. The main thing is that no spot on the roster should be a clone of any other spot; if a character has their own spot, they should have a unique set of moves.

Regarding the specific characters:

- Aqualad is a tough call; my instinct would be to make him a premier skin for Aquaman (because I think Aquaman should have water control powers in the game, as he often does in animated and live-action media), but the trident would make a 'premier skin' problematic.

- Huntress should have her own spot (her crossbow is unique, she can't be a premier skin for anyone)

- I don't like Lobo, but he's very popular and should have his own spot

- The Legion is awesome and needs to be a game like this (not having a full team bonus for the Legion would be a gaping hole in the roster)

- Electric Superman is awesome, but he's not mutually exclusive with Supergirl; she should have her own spot on the roster.

- 'Robin' is one spot. The default would be Tim Drake, but there should be a premier skin of Dick Grayson as Robin, so that you have the option of doing a classic New Titans group (he wore the Robin costume for years on the Titans before he switched to the Nightwing codename).

- 'Green Lantern' would be one spot, but you could choose a lot of versions -- Alan Scott, Hal Jordan, John Stewart, Kyle Rayner, Guy Gardner, maybe others.

(continued in another post)

jmmiller33
3 months ago#20
@VoltEF

Just to conclude, regarding stages I have to disagree. Yes, the story should have some coherence and should not simply be random traveling in a messy 'greatest hits' way with no plot.

However, considering that DC has never done a game like this before, it really should try to have a stage set in all the most famous places. They should try to fit in all of the most classic villains, also. The game should just be chock-full of villains, because in these types of action-rpg games, usually the only real challenge is boss fights, so it's great to have a tons of bosses.

EDIT: I would want to have a DC action-rpg like this with 80 playable characters. If it were up to me, they would add in lesser-known classic teams like the Doom Patrol, the Freedom Fighters, the Global Guardians. I'd have characters added to the game such as Godiva, Tasmanian Devil, Rocket Red, Halo, Celsius, Robotman, Elasti-Girl, Negative Man, the Ray, Phantom Lady, Human Bomb, Crimson Fox, Bronze Tiger, Nightshade, Gypsy, Vibe, Starman, etc.

I started my post with a much longer list of characters, but I shortened it to about 50, so as to present realistic expectations.
  1. Boards
  2. Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: The Black Order
  3. DC game similar to Ultimate Alliance 3
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Answers