• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.

User Info: Krow_Incarnate

Krow_Incarnate
1 month ago#11
Em_Jay_Dee posted...
The base game was almost perfect but the DLC takes it down a notch. Between the convoluted currency system, messy menus and lazy modes it's starting to lose me. I'm hoping they clean everything up by the time all the DLC is released.

I agree with this, actually.
Hail Hydra

User Info: kevin804635

kevin804635
1 month ago#12
Krow_Incarnate posted...
Em_Jay_Dee posted...
The base game was almost perfect but the DLC takes it down a notch. Between the convoluted currency system, messy menus and lazy modes it's starting to lose me. I'm hoping they clean everything up by the time all the DLC is released.

I agree with this, actually.

Same here. I was singing this game's praises before yesterday, but this DLC was a misstep in my opinion. Luckily, the core gameplay is still fun and the characters are worth the price alone to me.

User Info: Thor64

Thor64
1 month ago#13
rabutearl posted...
Change difficulty in the chapter selection section, it’s a toggle at the top with “L” and “R” .

Huh.

I had no idea that option existed.

Learn something new everyday.

Well done on dishing out the info.

I love this community.

User Info: Thor64

Thor64
1 month ago#14
jmmiller33 posted...
cymanx posted...
I like the game don't get me wrong. But I feel that some aspects get in the way and keep it from being a good great game. Like this story and the menus. I feel as some could be consolidated. And the artificial intelligence wanting to kill itself in the wakanda level. Not being able to choose your difficulty after you beat the campaign really sucks too. But, there are some good points. The character variety and the Ultimate Alliance extreme attacks and things of that sort. The alliance upgrade menus in the iso-8. The extra content especially the kind added by the expansion pass. It is the kind of game I would recommend it, but only when it is on sale.

Have to disagree that the game is mediocre. The game is intentionally retro; it does not try to be a game of the current 'gen', but purposefully emulates the original MUA1. It is deliberately "old school" and so a person expecting a modern game might be disappointed.

However, it improves dramatically on the original game in a number of different ways. A roster of 51 characters (MUA1 had 33), including lots of characters never before playable in the series. A better combat system, in which basic attacks flow more naturally into powers, and powers more naturally into extremes, and everything is faster. 'Synergies' that are a compromise between 'combo' system of XML1 and the 'fusion' system of MUA2. An ISO system that, while a bit too complicated, adds a much more extensive rpg element than either previous MUA game had (MUA1 allowed you to equip 1 item total; MUA2 had no individual equipment at all), bringing back what many people complained about losing from XML2 (i.e., you can actually have a distinct 'build' for a character, which was not really possible in MUA1 or MUA2).

As far as I can tell, there is only one big way in which this game is somewhat lacking in comparison to MUA1, which is that the stage design is much more linear, almost like an arcade beat-em-up; you just fight endless hordes of foes, and then face bosses. The maps are mostly a tunnel, and there is no exploring or getting lost, figuring out how to unlock doors, how to access secret areas, etc. There is no stage in this game that you could even compare to the Arcade's Murderworld stage from MUA1, which had so many creative touches and exploring of different areas (another example would be the Mandarin's Palace stage).

Also, many people would have really liked individual/unique character dialogue, which is also missing from MUA1. Personally, this doesn't bother me too much.

But in terms of the actual combat system and gameplay, the huge roster, the rpg elements, and the beautiful art style, this game more than delivers on what it promises. It's not really a modern game, but then it never intended to be, it is deliberately re-capturing the fun of a game from 13 years ago.

Listen to the man, he knows of what he speaks of.

User Info: Ctubbie

Ctubbie
1 month ago#15
I dislike the fact there is no string combos, like light > light > heavy > light > skill, type of combos which were available in earlier MUAs.
Dot

User Info: RedEyeSurprise

RedEyeSurprise
1 month ago#16
I found the game disappointing.... I didn't hate it, but didn't it feels "retro" to a fault.

I can let the character models slide, but the backgrounds shouldn't look stripped from a PS2 title. The story was cute, if you can get past the fact that we just saw this plot executed with far more style in the MCU films.

But honestly I was thought MUA1, and 2 were jokes...... I was talked into buying this one because my "friends" promised multiplayer sessions that never happen.
  • Topic Archived