• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: The Black Order
  3. Choice based story or a linear story?

User Info: regmckie

regmckie
1 month ago#1
About a week ago in an earlier thread I saw that someone had talked about how after the Raft mission (which I believe is the second mission after the Guardians one, but I could be wrong about that), you can chose which infinity stones, and which missions, to go after next. That effectively means that you can choose which characters to unlock first over others.

I just wanted to know if there was any validity in this statement because the user said it nonchalantly as if it was common knowledge; however, I never heard about having a sort of "choice based story".

If this is true, then I'm very excited about that because I certainly want to prioritize unlocking other characters over others.
Life is 10% action and 90% reaction

User Info: Azztec

Azztec
1 month ago#2
I also saw this, but I am unaware if there is a source or if said poster was talking out their ass.

It's certainly a feasible enough concept though, with each chapter potentially able to tell a self-contained little plot as you hunt for "X" infinity stone. We know from the X-mansion demo that the cutscenes are going to show what heroes they wish for the purpose of story-telling, so you could theoretically have unlocked who you wanted in whichever order available.

One could assume they could allow freedom of chapter order until reaching a certain point where the linear story takes back over (such as when you or the bad guys get all the stones etc).
"So suave, I could charm the pants off Donald Duck"
Gamertag/PSN id: Azzerrific

regmckie
1 month ago#3
Azztec posted...
I also saw this, but I am unaware if there is a source or if said poster was talking out their ass.

It's certainly a feasible enough concept though, with each chapter potentially able to tell a self-contained little plot as you hunt for "X" infinity stone. We know from the X-mansion demo that the cutscenes are going to show what heroes they wish for the purpose of story-telling, so you could theoretically have unlocked who you wanted in whichever order available.

One could assume they could allow freedom of chapter order until reaching a certain point where the linear story takes back over (such as when you or the bad guys get all the stones etc).

Yeah, I think conceptually it makes a lot of sense; however, I'm just not too sure. Even with the demo stuff, I don't think you can fully trust what we see with that either. I mean, for the E3 demo, with the mission involving the Defenders, the character select screen only has Rocket & Groot and Star Lord as the only playable Guardians, but we know that we unlock all the Guardians in the first mission.

That said, I think that's something they could easily change (i.e. they could just manually program which characters they want for the demo), and something like the cutscene you mentioned probably is what actually happens in the story.

I just hope that this statement's true because I'd be much more excited about unlocking characters like Magneto or Doctor Strange over others like Iron Fist. I think it'd be really cool to have some element of choice too that actually affects gameplay. MUA 2 had "choice based" stuff, but besides the Pro or Anti Reg stuff, everything else was sort of meaningless.

User Info: Azztec

Azztec
1 month ago#4
Yeah I agree about the demos and that the rosters could have been tweaked for the simple convenience of showing off who they want to show. Just for clarification, I was referencing that no matter who you ran, you'd still see the cutscene of Scarlet Witch, Vision & Wolverine rushing to Cyke and Colossus' aid, which while aggravating that you don't get to see your chosen team in the cinematics does potentially free up your roster unlock order. The caveat to this, of course, is that certain characters who could unlock in different order might not be featured in cutscenes outside their relevant stage, at least not until a linear point in the story where the game can definitively ascertain that characters "X" to "Y" are available at that stage to include.

I agree with the idea of being given a bit more freedom to unlock who you want in a more lenient order. Would also go towards making a replay more refreshing to be able to try out other characters earlier next time round (though that's a bit of a moot point since the game has NG+).
"So suave, I could charm the pants off Donald Duck"
Gamertag/PSN id: Azzerrific

User Info: Sonic515

Sonic515
1 month ago#5
Linear

regmckie
1 month ago#6
Azztec posted...
Yeah I agree about the demos and that the rosters could have been tweaked for the simple convenience of showing off who they want to show. Just for clarification, I was referencing that no matter who you ran, you'd still see the cutscene of Scarlet Witch, Vision & Wolverine rushing to Cyke and Colossus' aid, which while aggravating that you don't get to see your chosen team in the cinematics does potentially free up your roster unlock order. The caveat to this, of course, is that certain characters who could unlock in different order might not be featured in cutscenes outside their relevant stage, at least not until a linear point in the story where the game can definitively ascertain that characters "X" to "Y" are available at that stage to include.

I agree with the idea of being given a bit more freedom to unlock who you want in a more lenient order. Would also go towards making a replay more refreshing to be able to try out other characters earlier next time round (though that's a bit of a moot point since the game has NG+).

Oh yeah, I understood you. I guess we may just have to wait and see for the game to come out though...

regmckie
1 month ago#7
Sonic515 posted...
Linear

Is that confirmed though? Or is it just implied, because like I said, the user said it as if it was a well-known thing. He/she could just be messing with us for all I know, but I don't see any reason for them to lie to us about that.

User Info: Neo1661

Neo1661
1 month ago#8
Theses MUA games have always been linear so take what that guy said with a huge pinch of salt.
https://goo.gl/vRAucu
http://i.imgur.com/51jBWDy.png
  1. Boards
  2. Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: The Black Order
  3. Choice based story or a linear story?
  • Topic Archived