You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Super Robot Wars T
  3. It could just be me but... the animations in Z2.2 still look better..

User Info: TripMachina

TripMachina
4 weeks ago#11
Yeah, I also did notice that much of SRW T's animations are quite "chalky" and sluggish...I would have much preferred a modified SRW OG Moon Dwellers engine's cleaner faster presentation, but that's a different development team.

I suppose they really wanted to make the recent games mainstream SRW games match up with something close to true anime style, but in doing so, some of the "hot-bloodedness" had to be compromised. They'd have to add at least double the animation frames, and then really get creative on camera angles/techniques in order to bring back the true hot-bloodedness the series was known for.
"The only solution for Nintendo is to go full 3rd party since their hardware will be considered a joke even by Fisher-Price standards."
-Linetrix

User Info: MindGames_X

MindGames_X
4 weeks ago#12
LoweGearGS posted...
A big part of Z2 isn't the animation itself, as much as the choreography. In purely technical terms, the Z3 engine has better sprite quality and smoother animation, but it also isn't NEARLY as creative with things like camera angles, use of dynamic shots, etc. The end result is that the Z2 versions look a lot better, even if they technically are less advanced.

For me, Shin Mazinger really highlights this. The Z2 Rocket Punch and Photon Power Beam make such better use of shifting angles and other touches that they look infinitely better than Z3, V, X, despite doing more or less the same thing.

I feel like this. Watching only through YouTube, Z2 looks even better in comparison

HOWEVER

Playing Z2 on (in?) a PSP and the newer SRW in a good TV really shows how everything looks and sounds better now, they are just getting less frames per animation (maybe?).

Tukhara posted...
I agree, guys. Yes, the newer engines are definitely more advanced but the style of the animation isn’t necessarily more creative.

But one thing I have to address is that everything looks so “chalky” in the Z3 and onwards engine. Not sure if anyone else notices this, but everything looks more “plastic.”

Not only that, but many animations feel like they could have more "frames" so everything would feel more fluid. It's not that coreography and such is just worse, because for the main units it's still very, very good.

You know (I don't know technical terms), when you use fewer frames for animation things look more "jumpy" and strange and vice-versa? I got this feeling a damn lot playing Z3. You can notice this because some units (supposedly animated by that Arios-san character) not only have good coreography, they also flow and feel better to watch. Perhaps this is something to do with "animation in HD" costs?

But I've never went to compare animation frames and see if this holds true. Fluidity aside, I love the new proportion and HD sprites so much more, I once went back to Z2 and realized it's not as good as I remembered it to be.
(edited 4 weeks ago)

User Info: saltedham

saltedham
4 weeks ago#13
z2 games had more full cut ins and dynamic kills. so that is something that makes those games look better.
(X)_(X)
SUSANO'O!!!!!

User Info: mpchi

mpchi
4 weeks ago#14
The new sprite proportions definitely look better, and blends in much better with cut-ins since they are much closer to real proportion than the older style SD, but still leave them a lot of room for exaggerated body movement without look 'wrong' (which is the charm of SRW staying SD all these years). But while resolution and sprite style is an improvement, choreography and creativity took a step back on some. There are still some nice sequences and animated effects in V/X/T, but it was not a consistant improvement as a whole in terms of animation and visuals, and sometimes feels less epic when it comes to the supposedly big attacks.

If you happen to have a TV with high refresh rate, say 240Hz, turn that on and the animation will look smooth :D , sort of feels like making a 30FPS game into a 60FPS.
(edited 4 weeks ago)

User Info: SuperCy

SuperCy
4 weeks ago#15
I think think it depends, stuff like the Magic Knights, Mazinkaiser, Billbine, Nu Gundam ect, look better than anything in Z2.2

Meanwhile stuff like Mazinger Buddy Complex ect end up with pretty undewheling animations.

One thing the VXT trilogogy consistently does better is managing to convay depth of field with the animations and make it look like they are moving on a 3D plain. Ironicly it convays this better than OG games, despite those game actualy having a 3D plain to work with.
(edited 4 weeks ago)

User Info: YoungThugger

YoungThugger
4 weeks ago#16
TripMachina posted...
Yeah, I also did notice that much of SRW T's animations are quite "chalky" and sluggish...I would have much preferred a modified SRW OG Moon Dwellers engine's cleaner faster presentation, but that's a different development team.

I suppose they really wanted to make the recent games mainstream SRW games match up with something close to true anime style, but in doing so, some of the "hot-bloodedness" had to be compromised. They'd have to add at least double the animation frames, and then really get creative on camera angles/techniques in order to bring back the true hot-bloodedness the series was known for.

I agree with this.
R.I.P Nipsey Hussle
  1. Boards
  2. Super Robot Wars T
  3. It could just be me but... the animations in Z2.2 still look better..