You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Super Robot Wars T
  3. It could just be me but... the animations in Z2.2 still look better..

User Info: Tukhara

Tukhara
1 month ago#1
And it is not just the animations, everything about Z2.2 looks better. The sprites look “worse” as in chalky in the Z3-T line of games. I just booted up Z2.2 on the Vita, and while this is just my perspective it looks better in the sense that everything aesthetically is more pleasing.

The newer titles have a weird coloration and the animation choreography is nowhere as good as they used to look.

Does anyone else notice this?
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: salvadorfranz

salvadorfranz
1 month ago#2
Nope, because Tristan will always rain in on that parade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wF1n5oo3Ws
http://www.youtube.com/rvlast
^My channel. Please visit and all that jazz. Also if you like, go subscribe to it.
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: LoweGearGS

LoweGearGS
1 month ago#3
A big part of Z2 isn't the animation itself, as much as the choreography. In purely technical terms, the Z3 engine has better sprite quality and smoother animation, but it also isn't NEARLY as creative with things like camera angles, use of dynamic shots, etc. The end result is that the Z2 versions look a lot better, even if they technically are less advanced.

For me, Shin Mazinger really highlights this. The Z2 Rocket Punch and Photon Power Beam make such better use of shifting angles and other touches that they look infinitely better than Z3, V, X, despite doing more or less the same thing.

User Info: mpchi

mpchi
1 month ago#4
Newer doesn't always guarantee better. Newer titles may have more detailed sprites and image resolution, but it is the artists and animators that made the visual difference. They may not get their best guys to work on the newest titles, or they simply lost some good artists through the years.

User Info: SazukeEX

SazukeEX
1 month ago#5
No, they really don't.
FE:Fates - MyCastle: Birthright ~ Rare Skills
~ 12514-29694-66068-57372

User Info: SazukeEX

SazukeEX
1 month ago#6
LoweGearGS posted...
A big part of Z2 isn't the animation itself, as much as the choreography. In purely technical terms, the Z3 engine has better sprite quality and smoother animation, but it also isn't NEARLY as creative with things like camera angles, use of dynamic shots, etc. The end result is that the Z2 versions look a lot better, even if they technically are less advanced.

For me, Shin Mazinger really highlights this. The Z2 Rocket Punch and Photon Power Beam make such better use of shifting angles and other touches that they look infinitely better than Z3, V, X, despite doing more or less the same thing.

Well, Shin is downgraded in V and X cuz they had upgrades planned.

Zero's animation blows everything in the series out of the water.
FE:Fates - MyCastle: Birthright ~ Rare Skills
~ 12514-29694-66068-57372

Tukhara
1 month ago#7
I agree, guys. Yes, the newer engines are definitely more advanced but the style of the animation isn’t necessarily more creative.

But one thing I have to address is that everything looks so “chalky” in the Z3 and onwards engine. Not sure if anyone else notices this, but everything looks more “plastic.”

User Info: mpchi

mpchi
1 month ago#8
Tukhara posted...
I agree, guys. Yes, the newer engines are definitely more advanced but the style of the animation isn’t necessarily more creative.

But one thing I have to address is that everything looks so “chalky” in the Z3 and onwards engine. Not sure if anyone else notices this, but everything looks more “plastic.”

I think so, if I read you correctly. Its particular 'chalky' on the supers, due to how they were painted and have a lot of white highlights, like Daitarn, Zambot, Tryder, some of the Mazingers...just to name a few. Less so on mechs like Nu Gundam or Zeta, or GGG, or VangRay.

Tukhara
1 month ago#9
mpchi posted...
Tukhara posted...

I think so, if I read you correctly. Its particular 'chalky' on the supers, due to how they were painted and have a lot of white highlights, like Daitarn, Zambot, Tryder, some of the Mazingers...just to name a few. Less so on mechs like Nu Gundam or Zeta, or GGG, or VangRay.

I agree: Zeta and Nu still look amazing

User Info: AnnihilatorSol

AnnihilatorSol
1 month ago#10
I love mazinkaiser and zero animations. But z2.2 still has insane budget for a psp game.

The new shuffle alliance attack is fun to watch though.
  1. Boards
  2. Super Robot Wars T
  3. It could just be me but... the animations in Z2.2 still look better..