You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Super Robot Wars T
  3. Hard mode is easier than normal :(

User Info: prince2phore

prince2phore
3 weeks ago#1
ok maybe I'm missing something but after V and X that were really too easy for me, I decided to go with hard on my first play-through with T.
Turns out it's even easier... From what I understood, it just sets the difficulty to hard from the start, same as getting all SR points.
But you don't get the special requirements to get SR points, you get SR points just by finishing the stage...

So in the end, if you play normal you switch quickly to hard by getting SR points and still need to fulfill extra requirements to stay on hard.
if you play on hard, you just need to finish stages...

I'm at stage 9 and actually thinking of switching back to normal to get some kind of challenge...

can't wait for a new OG game that will push the formula a bit, V, X and T and just re-skin of the same game and whole I love cowboy bebop and Arcadia it feels really cheap now.

thanks for your feedback/confirmation on this "finding".

User Info: superobo4ever

superobo4ever
3 weeks ago#2
you can always do normal mode sr point conditions while playing expert.. I did that on my first run on X.. and it was easy cuz I was upgrading my units and all~ -.-

you have to apply your own rules on the run to make it harder.
SRW T rider G7 Hype!

User Info: Shaded_Phoenix

Shaded_Phoenix
3 weeks ago#3
prince2phore posted...
Turns out it's even easier... From what I understood, it just sets the difficulty to hard from the start, same as getting all SR points.

No, it sets it to Hard, then gives the enemies additional upgrades.

It was a little hard in the beginning (which was mostly just missing targets while having limited Spirits to compensate), but enemies never max out upgrades, so it's not that hard overall.
Operation Latex Turtle is a go.

User Info: Dragoonend

Dragoonend
3 weeks ago#4
Eh to my knowledge it doesn't just set the difficulty to hard, the enemies are more upgraded so they can actually kill you and your units will have a much lower dodge/hit rate (unless you do upgrades) and they have more way more HP (around 30% or so more), compared to Standard mode's hard mode. So there is a difference.

If you want challenge then try no upgrades on Expert mode, even tho yea you don't need to worry about SR points.. it's still harder imo than playing on Standard mode with SR objectives.

User Info: prince2phore

prince2phore
3 weeks ago#5
ok didn't notice the additional upgrades and HP but still feels easy.
Sure you can always play it your way with imaginary constraints, I would have preferred a well designed difficulty though.
oh and maps that require strategy...

anyhow, still enjoying it as usual, just feeling it's time to say goodbye to this take on the series and stop V/X/T at the trilogy level. need some, even if minimal, novelty.

User Info: Davzz

Davzz
3 weeks ago#6
Modern SRW would need a complete overhaul to be able to support well designed difficulty / strategic maps given that most of the time they choose series where the vast majority of units fly naturally (which means terrain mostly does nothing but look pretty)
http://ontlogy.wordpress.com/
"Can Happiness be Achieved without Sacrifice? Can a New Era be reached without Misfortune?"

User Info: GranzonEx

GranzonEx
3 weeks ago#7
and the units that don't fly need items to even move effectively on land/water
2 line break(s), 160 characters allowed

User Info: Torchman

Torchman
3 weeks ago#8
Davzz posted...
Modern SRW would need a complete overhaul to be able to support well designed difficulty / strategic maps given that most of the time they choose series where the vast majority of units fly naturally (which means terrain mostly does nothing but look pretty)

I'd argue right now terrains not the main problem. It's that too many limitations that previously helped keep many stronger units in check in the general system (ignoring unit specific abilities like Blue Water) have been removed.

From Z3 to V we lost unit repair cost for shot down units, which was punishment was playing stupid (high chance what data they had suggested people were deploying Big O frequently since Roger negated this). We lost pilot skill restrictions for how many could be equipped at once, which meant pilots like Koji and Amuro could become even stronger. In addition, a lot of skills that increased in cost based on level, like Potential, became a cheap flat cost which made it to easy to run a full squad with lvl 9 potential.

We also had the switch from tag tension to EXC, which honestly I'm not sure what one was worse or better.

V to X added the two extra tiers for the customization, which we all can agree, not a great idea for difficulty when using everything, along with the resolve spirit command which allowed many to gain an instant guaranteed crit.

They did add a 'expert' mode during this jump, but because SR objectives are out and replaced with 'beat the stage', it is in some ways easier than the regular difficulty.

X to T just went f*** it and not only increased the slots for side plans, but also let anyone that had deployed be used in them. In turn making a lot of people aces earlier, making kill and ace count based secrets pathetically easy, and people reaching at least level 5 customization way earlier. This is on top of special orders that give huge leaps to pilots in terms of levels, kills, and stats.

It also doesn't help (and this is a flaw in general lately) that enemies across all games don't use their spirit commands and many don't have custom bonuses (if they aren't playable), which in turn makes them heavily disadvantaged in the endgame.

Sure doing something like increasing the cost for flight could help, but the terrain doesn't matter if it's still too easy to create miniature gods. Imagine Mazinger Zero or Dann if those restrictions were still in place. Sure they'd still be a hell of a strong, but nowhere near as bad as it is now.

User Info: Sans Pants

Sans Pants
3 weeks ago#9
and your units will have a much lower dodge/hit rate (unless you do upgrades)

Most units still can't dodge for s*** at max upgrades. Enemies get more return on investment for their upgrade bars on the Sight stat than you do and their bases are higher than yours, and most of your units only get 40 mobility for 10 upgrades instead of the usual 50.
Scarlet sky is falling down, bury me six feet under.

User Info: krazyfu

krazyfu
3 weeks ago#10
They could bring back no SP regeneration and no spirit use during the enemy phase.
  1. Boards
  2. Super Robot Wars T
  3. Hard mode is easier than normal :(