• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Mega Man 8
  3. Brief thoughts on Mega Man 8

User Info: PixelFunCenter

PixelFunCenter
11 months ago#1
Mega Man 8 seems to always be very divisive when I've read about it in the past, it seems like a love it or hate it type of game. I owned 8 growing up like a lot of the others, and have played it off and on through out the years. I just finished the game this week on the Legacy collection, and forgot how bad of a port the Anniversary one was, with all it's issues. Here are some brief thoughts:

I like 8 quite a bit, but I can see how some players may not like this one as it's so different from the rest of the series. When it first came out and I rented the game, it blew me away with the anime cutscenes (like X4) which was new for me. I know they are super silly with the voice acting, but it's a charm and I love it. I've heard people say in the past they won't play 8 specifically because of those scenes which is a shame, and it's odd because you can skip them.

The music and sound effects are top notch in this, along with the animation. Mega Man does feel much different then the previous entries, but the style they gave 8 and fluid graphics are really something; much better then Rock Man and Forte, although that was on Super Famicom so you can't expect CD quality stuff from it.

Other then that, the game play is good, maybe not as tight as any of the classic games, but still solid I thought. I was happy I actually got through the Wily hover board stage in 1 try this playthrough, although when I was a kid I died that like 50 times lol. Also, does anyone else like how Roll looks in this? I always enjoyed her classic red dress design, but I thought it was cool that she looks a bit older and everyone has a different art to them.

Also if anyone needs help with the bolts or items, a few people like Ness has some replies up on the board on what you may or may not want to spend, so thanks for that. I also agree with Devsbro in one of his comments from years ago saying this game is probably the most "relaxing" MM title, and it felt like it to me. From the moody music, the colorful palate and the pacing. Not sure if that's what the developers were going for, but I liked it.

Trying to think of any negatives about the game... I guess maybe the four robot master thing again like 7? Not a big fan of that and I like when you have all 8 to choose from, although I will say I enjoyed how the later half of robot masters really make use of the previous 4 weapons to get through the levels, so that was cool. I would have liked Wily Castle to be a little longer as well, but ah well.

Thanks for listening!
Pixel Fun Center! - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYVQA8faF4CEqaOG13Pddpg?view_as=subscriber
(edited 11 months ago)

User Info: DevsBro

DevsBro
11 months ago#2
The anime cutscenes were a very welcome addition tbh. I get that to a lot of people, Mega Man has always been a "pop it in and play" kind of game/series so I understand why some people don't like them, but also to me it has always been a very "Japanese sci-fi" kind of game/series, so throwing in literal bits of anime was perfect. The VA does suck (why is Mega Man's voice actually higher than Roll's?) but I loved stuff like the recap intro and Mega Man vs Bass.

And yeah, Roll was an improvement. Having RnR be children was always awkward to me. I get why it's that way--Mega Man is heavily inspired by Astro Boy, and also in-universe it makes sense that Dr. Light would want them to look like kids if he were a lonely old man who never got the opportunity to have children of his own, but it's still kind of uncomfortable and I always preferred the versions where they're older--the cartoon actually having my favorite designs.
53 LIII 0b110101
p16 0x35

User Info: NessEggman

NessEggman
11 months ago#3
I prefer Roll's MM8 design to her classic little red dress. She's cute either way though :)

And yeah MM8 is a great game, it just feels so different from others I think people don't like that. The spritework is gorgeous. They put so much effort into making the game, you can tell.
g Rod "hing RodCopper Fishin
For fishing.

PixelFunCenter
11 months ago#4
Yeah that's true, I'm definitely a fan of Roll's more grown up appearance as well as the other characters in the game. I can't remember if they kept that after Rock Man and Forte, but I guess I'll find out once I go through the next handful of titles.

Slightly off topic, but for those who have played all of the original Mega Man 1-5 Game Boy games, are those considered cannon to the storyline? I know 3 of the main baddies appear in the bonus levels in Mega Man 10 you can play, but I haven't played the handheld ones in forever so I was just curious if anyone knew.
Pixel Fun Center! - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYVQA8faF4CEqaOG13Pddpg?view_as=subscriber

DevsBro
11 months ago#5
I think they are but it doesn't really matter. They're at best side stories, and even at that they don't have much story to speak of. The only significant event in the series is the Quint thing, but even then, what does it matter? It's more like trivia than anything.

V has a little more story, but it's ultimately as self-contained as any other Classic series title.
53 LIII 0b110101
p16 0x35
(edited 11 months ago)

PixelFunCenter
11 months ago#6
DevsBro posted...
I think they are but it doesn't really matter. They're at best side stories, and even at that they don't have much story to speak of. The only significant event in the series is the Quint thing, but even then, what does it matter? It's more like trivia than anything.

V has a little more story, but it's ultimately as self-contained as any other Classic series title.

Okay thanks, yeah it's not a big deal I was just curious since I only owned the third game cart back in the day but barely remember it. I'm wondering if Capcom might eventually put together a handheld collection with the original GB games, X ones and a couple other misc titles. In the past I would have said that wouldn't happen since they canceled the original GBA collection, but now that they are throwing out a bunch like the Zero series and I'm assuming down the line, Battle Network, maybe we'll see some other things.
(edited 11 months ago)

User Info: Hotel_Security

Hotel_Security
11 months ago#7
The anime cutscenes were a very welcome addition tbh.

I would have been okay with them too...had they not been absolutely dreadful. The poor animation, the weird edits, the strange volume on the voiceovers, the terrible English actors and accent...it was the pinnacle of "cheap, bad anime" that had been giving anime a bad name for years. After seeing this and then MMX4, I never wanted to see cutscenes in MM again though X4 did much better.

I'm wondering if Capcom might eventually put together a handheld collection with the original GB games, X ones and a couple other misc titles.

I doubt it. They're not really that good and very short. Only Mega Man V for GB has unique bosses (the rest borrow bosses from MM1 though MM5) and even that game can be finished pretty quick. I don't think a collection of those would sell well. On the bright side, at least we're getting the Zero and ZX games so that's KIND of a handheld collection.

and I'm assuming down the line, Battle Network,

Would be curious how they do those since there's like two copies of every game. I don't think they would want to put in enough work to actually combine the features of the two copies into one game so they'd likely have to just pick one of the versions and release that. I doubt there's enough room in a collection to have all versions available.

PixelFunCenter
11 months ago#8
Hotel_Security posted...
The anime cutscenes were a very welcome addition tbh.

I would have been okay with them too...had they not been absolutely dreadful. The poor animation, the weird edits, the strange volume on the voiceovers, the terrible English actors and accent...it was the pinnacle of "cheap, bad anime" that had been giving anime a bad name for years. After seeing this and then MMX4, I never wanted to see cutscenes in MM again though X4 did much better.

I'm wondering if Capcom might eventually put together a handheld collection with the original GB games, X ones and a couple other misc titles.

I doubt it. They're not really that good and very short. Only Mega Man V for GB has unique bosses (the rest borrow bosses from MM1 though MM5) and even that game can be finished pretty quick. I don't think a collection of those would sell well. On the bright side, at least we're getting the Zero and ZX games so that's KIND of a handheld collection.

and I'm assuming down the line, Battle Network,

Would be curious how they do those since there's like two copies of every game. I don't think they would want to put in enough work to actually combine the features of the two copies into one game so they'd likely have to just pick one of the versions and release that. I doubt there's enough room in a collection to have all versions available.

I can understand that, I know quite a few people back in the day didn't even like them, but for the novelty I think it was cool at the time. I still think the intro for Mega Man 8 holds up (American and Japanese music versions). The rest are pretty choppy. Also this is the first time I've played where I noticed they mispronounce Bass in the English version cutscene, kind of funny.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to the Z collection, but if they did make a BN one that would be cool. I only completed Battle Network 1-4, and while I really loved 1, 2 and 3 I thought 4 was a huge disappointment personally. I don't remember exactly why since the last time I played it was when it was released, but I remember thinking it was a huge step back from the other ones. I think part of it was the story wasn't as good, along with really re-used maps for every area, poor chips and the idea of going through the game multiple times to get the real ending (even though the previous ones had you do more then one run, I just remember 4 wanted you to go out of your way and it was frustrating). I'd love to try 5 and 6 though, hope they are better then what 4 was.
(edited 11 months ago)

DevsBro
11 months ago#9
I thought the animation was ok for the era. It was definitely better than Pokemon, the show that ruined anime for me for years. The VA is obviously terrible but that wasn't a big deal to me. It's actually kind of charming in an ironic way, lol.

But anyway, I would definitely expect nine GBA games to fit into a modern game size. The standard (non-video) GBA carts maxed out at 32MB.
53 LIII 0b110101
p16 0x35
(edited 11 months ago)
it's a good game, only not as good as the others
My vision is augmented
  1. Boards
  2. Mega Man 8
  3. Brief thoughts on Mega Man 8
  • Post New Message

Need More Help?

1. Guides and Walkthroughs 15 Guides / Maps
  2. GameFAQs Q&A 3 Questions (3 Answered)

GameFAQs Q&A