This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Animal Crossing: New Horizons
  3. Which is better: NH or NL?

User Info: amgoosehjonk

amgoosehjonk
1 week ago#1
Which is better: NH or NL? - Results (284 votes)
New Horizons
41.2% (117 votes)
New Leaf
38.73% (110 votes)
Like 'em about the same
13.38% (38 votes)
Didn't play both
5.99% (17 votes)
Other?
0.7% (2 votes)
This poll is now closed.
I’ve seen varying opinions on the matter.

Which one is the better game, in your opinion? In terms of mechanics, gameplay, music, etc.
am goose. goose go hjonk. it's not that hard.
current mood: https://youtu.be/rfsyFrTIF_U

User Info: Limit_2

Limit_2
1 week ago#2
I played NL religiously for like a year, and NH will be lucky to hold on until August.

NL has more content, better music, better multiplayer, and a better sense of progression after the first two weeks of play have concluded (it's debatable before that.) It also has permanent tools, slightly less awful villager dialogue, a slightly less atrocious approach to customization, bigger houses, and less chance of getting RNG f***ed by visitors even accounting for the deliberate dud visitor. It also has more villagers than NH does, unless you count Raymond as being worth ten.

NH has... better graphics, better "city-builder" mechanics (outdoor furniture, pathing, fencing, terraforming), and better clothing options. It has a bigger inventory, but not by as much as the numbers would indicate (you lose the mail slots, and probably carry around resources and more tools now.) It might maybe have more stuff coming down the line, possibly? But even then I don't see any future update being as significant as Welcome amiibo, which was (1) free (assuming anything on par with it would be paid DLC akin to the Octo Expansion), (2) completely unexpected, and (3) completely unnecessary because the base game was actually complete.

I can see the appeal to NH, but as someone who likes the aesthetic of normal AC towns to begin with (and would need more space than NH provides to do anything actually ambitious) and who doesn't really give a toss about fashion, most of its improvements are not meaningful to me right now.
If you disagree with the above post, it isn't for you.
Luckily it's free so you can't complain about it either.

User Info: X_Ayumi_X

X_Ayumi_X
1 week ago#3
Wild World. Wild World is the answer. I can't judge NEw Leaf as I never played it, but it's not even close to the most desirable AC game I've ever played.
3DS: 2921 9091 2567 My SMM Levels: https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/profile/Shintastics

User Info: BloodMoon7

BloodMoon7
1 week ago#4
Never played NL. My 3DS is broken now.

Well actually I heard you can't pick and choose villagers in earlier games? No Bree, no play.
Bree deserves a Royal Crown
Days Without Royal Crown in Ables: 1

User Info: Violetsareblue

Violetsareblue
1 week ago#5
In my opinion, New Horizons is better with island customization, while New Leaf is better with daily activities
Switch Friend Code: 3391-4740-2045
IGN: Cortlyn from Ranuki

User Info: Wetterdew

Wetterdew
1 week ago#6
I was unambiguously in love with New Leaf. It added so much to the franchise.

New Horizons is great, I'd put it in the same realm as New Leaf, but I feel more ambivalent about it since it should have had more content. Things like swimming, missing NPCs, mangos/lemons/other missing fruit, art pieces, the dream suite, and more should have been in the game to start with. So many characters are missing, and some characters are back again but their roles are disappointingly minor (Reese/Cyrus and fan-favorite Resetti). It doesn't have any new songs from KK slider either, and it lacks a communal area to meet up online and play games together like New Leaf. I also get annoyed by how hard it is to find furniture in the color you want it, since only SOME furniture can be customized.

I think being able to put furniture outdoors opens up a ton of things for me. So I'm enjoying New Horizons. But I expected it to have more new content
rip to all the animals killed in wildfires.

User Info: Vesperial92

Vesperial92
1 week ago#7
amgoosehjonk posted...
I’ve seen varying opinions on the matter.

Which one is the better game, in your opinion? In terms of mechanics, gameplay, music, etc.
Really? Every single poll I’ve seen has had New Horizons win very clearly. It’s just the odd vocal person who proclaims that they think NL is a superior game

User Info: amgoosehjonk

amgoosehjonk
1 week ago#8
Vesperial92 posted...
Really? Every single poll I’ve seen has had New Horizons win very clearly. It’s just the odd vocal person who proclaims that they think NL is a superior game
I thought it was more even than that, heh.

Maybe it’s just the vocal minority, but I’ve definitely heard close to half-n-half.
am goose. goose go hjonk. it's not that hard.
current mood: https://youtu.be/rfsyFrTIF_U

User Info: DrunkBeard

DrunkBeard
1 week ago#9
I think NH is better. Customizing your island is a great feature and opens the game up so much compared to the others. I've seen some pretty incredible islands people have made and you just can't do that with the other games.

Honestly after this it's hard to go back to them because you're so limited.
You know who I am

User Info: pinapplehappy

pinapplehappy
1 week ago#10
I'm still so surprised that people prefer NH over NL. NH is really good, but NL is AMAZING. One of my favorite games of all time (either #1 or #2.)

My daily routine in NH 3 months in:
  1. Get annoyed with Isabelle going on and on about nothing.
  2. Find fossils.
  3. Check Able Sisters and Nook's Cranny.
  4. Water my friend's flowers.
  5. Shake trees.
  6. Chop wood.

My daily routine in NL 3 months in:
  1. Find Isabelle cute and charming.
  2. Water flowers.
  3. Find fossils.
  4. Visit the Police Station and have Booker tell me who today's special visitor is. (Bonus: Every visitor was guaranteed to come every week!)
  5. Check the instrument shelter to get the weather forecast.
  6. Talk to my animals because they actually had cool stuff to say and tasks for me to do for them.
  7. Shop at Ables Sisters, Nookling shop, Kicks, the Museum gift shop and Leif's Shop.
  8. Get a new do at Shampoodle.
  9. Check out Nook Homes exteriors and talk to Lyle about my HHA challenges.
  10. Send letters via post office and deposit the million I made last night beetle hunting on Torimer Island.
  11. Visit some towns via the Dream Suite.
  12. Get a reaction from Shrunk.
  13. Work my part-time job at the Roost.
  14. Decide if I want to do a new PWP or change the ordinance.
  15. Go to Tortimer Island, play tours, get stuff from Grams, dive, fish, bug catch and plunder flowers from tours.
  16. Invite friends over to jam with DJ K.K.
  17. Beetle farm and shark hunt at Tortimer island at night.
  18. Sell everything to Reese for the big bucks.

Mickey from Spica Cay (Northern Hemisphere) Fruit: Cherries
3DS: 0103 9908 8519 Switch: SW-7003-2803-6431
  1. Boards
  2. Animal Crossing: New Horizons
  3. Which is better: NH or NL?
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A