This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Animal Crossing: New Horizons
  3. GameFAQs is now providing cataloging tools

User Info: Blue_0rb

Blue_0rb
2 months ago#21
This is great work, and I'm very happy to have a tool like this! I do have one request for, what IMO would be an improvement, and set this tool apart from similar tools out there on the web. What I would like to see is for the Checkbox to be removed for variants that don't show up in the catalog.

For instance, if you look at the Baby Chair item in the in-game catalog, it only has 7 variants listed: Black, Blue, Green, Pink, Red, White, and Yellow. However, in this tool currently, there are a whopping 35 variants listed: every combination of the aforementioned variants with the seat variants, which do not show up in the in-game catalog. This makes it confusing to the user as to which variants they should be checking the checkbox for. Instead, I recommend that in this tool, by default, there would only be the seven chair-frame variants listed: Black, Blue, Green, Pink, Red, White, and Yellow. Each would be expandable so you could see the seat variants underneath it, but these subvariants wouldn't have their own checkbox, since they do not appear in the in-game catalog.

I know you said earlier you didn't want to make items collapsed by default, but I really think it would be useful for this case. If the user is just scrolling through their catalog and trying to check the boxes for everything they already own, having these subvariants expanded by default makes this process much more cumbersome. Not only is it confusing to the user (since it is a mismatch of data between what they see on the site and what they see in the game), but also, it requires users to scroll much further while doing this. Having an option to collapse these subvariants by default would make this process much smoother IMO.

Note that I'm not requesting that all variants be collapsed by default (or have an option to make them collapsed by default). I'm only referring to the subvariants - the ones that don't show up in the in-game catalog. I would like to scroll through and see

Baby Chair (Black)
Baby Chair (Blue)
Baby Chair (Green)

instead of

Baby Chair (Black / Bear)
Baby Chair (Black / Butterfly)
Baby Chair (Black / Paw Print)

A second example is with the Zen cushion item. If you look at the in-game catalog, there are no variants listed for the Zen cushion. However, in this tool currently, there are 7 variants of zen cushion listed. So again, it is confusing to the user as to which checkboxes they should be checking when they interact with this item. In this case, I would propose just having a single "Zen cushion" item, whose picture is the default deep blue variant. Then, the user can expand that out to see all the subvariants, which would not have their own checkboxes (but could have a # owned counter).

Then, in this tool, the user would just see the following by default:

Zen cushion

As opposed to

Zen cushion (Azuki red)
Zen cushion (Crane)
Zen cushion (Deep blue)

Again, I know you already said you didn't want to have variants collapsed by default, but I really think it makes sense to collapse subvariants by default for the use case of marking which items are in your catalog. If you don't want to do that, you could an option/setting somewhere that the user can set to collapse all subvariants. Thanks for reading my feedback and let me know what you think!

User Info: Lakhesis

Lakhesis
2 months ago#22
Count me in for an alphabet feature and a collapsible customization varieties (because unless it lists it separately in the in game catalog, I don't want to scroll through it).

Doing this for the community is amazing! Seriously, kudos!

I wouldn't use it (not without the above changes, it's just too much hassle). But I can appreciate it being done!
AC-NH: Kiera from Ambrose

User Info: MayorDarcy

MayorDarcy
2 months ago#23
This is very much appreciated, thank you for doing this! So far for me it's easier to use than villagerdb.com.

I started a bit tonight, but the sheer volume of items to go through is overwhelming, and I too vote for a collapsible customization options please if possible, so if I don't have the item yet, I don't need to scroll through all the variants.
NL: Darcy of Lambton / DA: 5A00-012A-BC81
NH: Momo of Haven

User Info: Cat333Pokemon

Cat333Pokemon
2 months ago#24
Wow, this is actually pretty cool. Nice work!
ACNH: Cat from Delphi ~ Bugs/Fish Available Now: http://www.critterpedia.live/
http://www.lycanroc.net/ ~ New 2DS: 5387-4036-7266 ~ Switch: SW-7492-8451-7322

User Info: samurai bandit

samurai bandit
2 months ago#25
Nice work! I have been using an app so I'll need some time to transfer my catalog here.

Also, nice secret bragging topic on your catalog
Go and watch Ef ~ A tale of memories now!

User Info: SweetNut_Farm

SweetNut_Farm
2 months ago#26
This is just a thought, and maybe not a very good one, but could "villagers" be added? I played new leaf for the entire seven years and during that time had many villagers come and go, many of whom I don't remember were there. I also have a "wish list" of who I would want on my island. It would be nice to have this added to your catalog so I could check when someone new moves in or leaves.

edit: One more thought, along with the name of villager, the type of animal it is and the personality would be nice to be on the list as well. Thanks again for all the time and thought you put into this. You get the "star" for the year!
Real life is NOT a "Hallmark" movie.
SW 2901 6515 7606
(edited 2 months ago)

User Info: mnkboy907

mnkboy907
2 months ago#27
SweetNut_Farm posted...
This is just a thought, and maybe not a very good one, but could "villagers" be added? I played new leaf for the entire seven years and during that time had many villagers come and go, many of whom I don't remember were there. I also have a "wish list" of who I would want on my island. It would be nice to have this added to your catalog so I could check when someone new moves in or leaves.

It's already one of the drop down categories.
Change is weird.

User Info: SweetNut_Farm

SweetNut_Farm
2 months ago#28
mnkboy907 posted...
It's already one of the drop down categories.
Thanks!!! Don't know how I missed it.
Real life is NOT a "Hallmark" movie.
SW 2901 6515 7606

User Info: AvlButtslam

AvlButtslam
2 months ago#29
I like this a lot, especially if it's going to be more widely used for other games where collection is a big part of it.

Strongly agree with an alphabet jump as well as option to collapse customized items.

Also a link to jump back to top would help a lot on mobile. Expanding the entire list then having to manually scroll all the way back up blows.

Maybe a counter feature to quantify how many items fit your current filter? (Counts for how many items you enter as owned, as well as unique catalog entries, preferably with the option to not double-count customized items)

And if possible add the times fish/bugs are available to catch when you click on it.
Hey kiddies
(edited 2 months ago)

User Info: greencheek

greencheek
2 months ago#30
tag
  1. Boards
  2. Animal Crossing: New Horizons
  3. GameFAQs is now providing cataloging tools
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A