• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Timespinner
  3. My impression of this game

User Info: BerserkerPk

BerserkerPk
2 months ago#1
After playing this game getting platinum on PS network and getting all the game content unlock I figure I'd give my opinion on my final verdict of this game.

Tough I'm not a fan of rating something for the sake of clarity I'll rate it out of 10 were 0 is worst of the worst and 10 is the absolute best.

Story - 5/10

The story is OK tough its what I like to call an overused Luke Skywalker scenario of protagonist loses everything to bad guy wants revenge on bad guy only to find out is related to bad guy. Even there the story is kind of light on content but then again being a metroidvania game I guess we get what we can.

Graphics - 8/10

Some people might think it should be a 7 but I love the old SNES era graphic and that games sure brings me back there and so I'm a sucker for it.

Music - 8/10

Tough not every track is perfect the greater majority reminds me of either something out of Chrono trigger or Megaman X I know some people say its more like a Castlevania game and I do hear it on some of them but either way the music is great.

Game mechanic - 5/10
This one takes a hit not because it is bad per say but because there is too many missed opportunities.

The time traveling gimmick is underused at best all it was is stop movement to avoid thing or setup platform to go to new areas. It could had been so much more with like that enemy in the bonus dudgeon that can only be targeted when the time is stopped why not to a boss system that is similar ?

Have hidden secrets that the time stop can reveal, having another group of NPC in the present to gives quest / rewards etc... this game could have done so much more with the idea but just committed to the bare minimum.

The map is too simplistic and have too little content to be engaging giving this game a mediocre replay value ( unless you're a completions and what to unlock everything ) .

The difficulty is a joke all it does it make the bosses do more damage and have more HP big whoop I know that game is not loved by many but Megaman X8 did bosses perfectly where when a specific amount of damage is done they go into a desperation mode where they get new moves, a stat boost and change attack pattern and the higher the difficulty the sooner that happens and the more moves/ patterns gets used making it harder for the player to adapt now that is a way to increase difficulty in a platformer boss fight.

If the time mechanic, bosses and map system was address more that rating could have gone up to
7 maybe 7.5.

overall I give it a 6.5 its a fun game to play once but once its done its best to move on to another game as this game gets stale quickly after you finished it.
Come on, your ass is mine- Heat .

User Info: shadestreet

shadestreet
2 months ago#2
I don't disagree on the flaws you noted, but I still give it a higher score for a few reasons:

1) The value of the game is pretty high. 20 bucks for this was better than 40 for Bloodstained. So while it is light on content, I absolutely loved the content I had.

2) 1 dude basically made this, right? That's worth something right there.

3) While the Time Travel mechanics were definitely underused, they were still awesome - especially changing the events of the future like poisoning the atmosphere, burning the bushes, etc. I definitely would have wanted more of that and a 3rd map into the future would have been awesome (I was really expecting that twist at the end... sadly not the case).

User Info: BerserkerPk

BerserkerPk
2 months ago#3
shadestreet posted...
I don't disagree on the flaws you noted, but I still give it a higher score for a few reasons:

2) 1 dude basically made this, right? That's worth something right there.

Oh, I'm totally aware only one guy programmed this and with that said I should have mentioned it but still despite saying that one still have to look at the finished product.

Let me remind you that Axiom verge was also done by a single guy and look at how much more game content it gives.

So on that note my rating of 6.5 stands.
Nothing personal I'm just weighing the final product vs other indie metroivania games I seen / played.
Come on, your ass is mine- Heat .

User Info: shadestreet

shadestreet
2 months ago#4
BerserkerPk posted...
Let me remind you that Axiom verge was also done by a single guy and look at how much more game content it gives.

Love Axiom Verge! Yes, I know 1 guy did that too... and all of the music as well (I assume the very SotN inspired OST for Timespinner was done by someone else than the designer).

I don't know if I would say Axiom Verge has more content than TS though. Both take about the same amount of time to complete. Axiom probably has better hidden secrets to discover, but TS has NG+ and all of the bonus content at the end.
  1. Boards
  2. Timespinner
  3. My impression of this game
  • Post New Message