• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Timespinner
  3. Am I the only one that realizes this game borrowed heavily from Castlevania OoE?

User Info: DEADLY SHAD0W

DEADLY SHAD0W
4 months ago#1
These two games are so much alike. Shanoa uses glyphs to materialize weapons while Lunais uses orbs to do the same. Both games have a new game plus where you can play hard mode with a level 1 cap and finishing that would unlock level 255 cap.

Seeing that no one else made a topic about this, I wonder if anyone here even heard of Order of Ecclesia?

User Info: shadestreet

shadestreet
4 months ago#2
Yes, the glyphs and bonus modes seem to be influenced by OoE, but nearly everything else seems to be Symphony of the Night influence, several area not only are similar in design (Catacombs, Library) but the music choices are set to mimic SotN as well.

DEADLY SHAD0W
4 months ago#3
Well yeah, some of the areas are like SOTN (like the library, underground caves, etc). But what about the way the text looks or the fetch quest you're doing for the NPCs or the respawning wooden chest and a rare shiny chest randomly appearing? Don't these things remind you of OoE? You can't tell me the way Lunais slams down a giant sword or a giant hammer is nothing like the way Shanoa slams down a giant sword or a giant hammer. And what about the three gears Lunais had to find in order to progress further? That's a lot like Shanoa having to find the three Cerberus heads in order to progress further.

I guess the only people that are saying this is more like SOTN and not even mentioning OoE are those that haven't fully played both Timespinner AND OoE to pick up on the many similarities.

User Info: Richter1234

Richter1234
4 months ago#4
This is a Metroidvania game. Of course if will borrow elements from these games...
"Lucius: AFLONG AFLONGKONG"

DEADLY SHAD0W
4 months ago#5
Yes, especially from Order of Ecclesia. Have you played OoE? Don't you notice the many similarities to that particular game?

shadestreet
4 months ago#6
Yes, obviously he directly from OoE as well. I just think it gets less notice than the SotN nods because SotN is a more iconic game and many of the rip offs were seemingly done for no purpose other than to directly copy SotN (i.e., the fact you can pointlessly toggle on the Relics like in SotN).

Plus, you are hit with the SotN nods visually (design of the game directly copying some of the layouts/themes of SotN), audibly (several of the tracks were directly parroting SotN), AND gameplay (relics, familiars, two handed, etc).

DEADLY SHAD0W
4 months ago#7
Here are some more similarities that I just remembered:
In OoE, if you finish all the side quest for all the NPCs, Nikolai rewards you with a Master Ring which increases attribute points gained. In Timespinner, if you finish all the side quest for all NPCs, Neliste rewards you with a Galaxy Earring which increases orb experience gained.

In OoE, Shanoa can get a Glyph Sleeve that allows you to have three different glyph setups and be able to switch between them with the shoulder buttons. In Timespinner, Lunais can get a Jewelry Box that allows you to have three different orb setups and be able to switch between them with the shoulder buttons. You don't see that feature in SOTN.

To be fair, Timespinner does have the crow that sells you stuff in the library similar to the librarian in SOTN. I'm just saying this game has more in common with OoE than SOTN.

I never realized OoE was that obscure. For those that never played it, give it a try. If you like Timespinner, you might like Order of Ecclesia better.

shadestreet
4 months ago#8
DEADLY SHAD0W posted...
I never realized OoE was that obscure

Not saying OoE is obscure, but merely that SotN is far more iconic of a game as it was the first game to recognize that the Super Metroid Template could and should be directly copied to other games, hence it is the game which spawned the "Metroidvania" genre.

OoE is fantastic, but it was the 6th SotN style Castlevania so not as novel I guess?

User Info: Shred_Akuma

Shred_Akuma
4 months ago#9
Yep a lot of people don’t realize it’s closer to Ecclesia than SOTN. Shanoa plays almost identical to Lunais. What really drives me crazy is people in the comment sections of videos saying it’s pixel for pixel copying from Castlevania. Funny thing is I’ve played every Castlevania religiously and I haven’t seen a single 16x16 tile that’s a copy of any Castlevania tile. Everyone is an institutional scholar these days.

shadestreet
4 months ago#10
Shred_Akuma posted...
What really drives me crazy is people in the comment sections of videos saying it’s pixel for pixel copying from Castlevania

That's pretty ignorant... I haven't seen people saying that. I woulnd't mind if they did a bit more copying of the sprite design in TS though, a lot of the sprite art wasn't that good/detailed as I would have hoped.
  1. Boards
  2. Timespinner
  3. Am I the only one that realizes this game borrowed heavily from Castlevania OoE?
  • Post New Message