• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.

User Info: YiddosRule

YiddosRule
4 months ago#1
I originally intended to come in here for tips for the fallen having failed miserably 5 times at BR40. Then on my sixth try, I managed to take it down before it even used Animalcule, what a random fight!

Anyway, just a quick question on AP usage. I'm having trouble understanding the way my unions are using their AP, specifically my one and only mystic union. I've currently made one using Irina, Wyngale, Paris and Yuniver with starting AP around 70 atm. Irina hasn't hit her Psionic BR yet so only knows her initial skill setup. Now 95% of the time only one from this group gets to use a mystic art whilst the others simply attack and it's beginning to really annoy me. There is clearly enough AP to use their most powerful attacks but don't know why they won't. It's not simply on turn 1-2 but happens even when the union has 300+ AP available. Sometimes I will get to attack from afar, but they are few and far between.

Is it simply a case of getting Irina her Psionics to even out the union better or am I missing something obvious?
I've tried mixing the order around of the union, turning off stealth on all 3 units to avoid that command but nothing seems to work.
Any insight would be appreciated.
I know a thing or two about a thing or two

User Info: Atmaone

Atmaone
4 months ago#2
YiddosRule posted...
I've tried mixing the order around of the union, turning off stealth on all 3 units to avoid that command but nothing seems to work.

No guarantee that you'll get maximum usage of available AP on a given turn, but you can increase your chances by tweaking things a bit further...

Assuming Yuniver is still in a pure mystic class (Wizard, Sage or Thaumaturge), he would be your best candidate for union leader. Those three classes have the [Esoteric] skill, which usually gives the union a second "Attack with Mystic Arts!" command.

Paris and Wyngale's starting classes (Paladin and Cleric) have [Defender], which can muddle up your command options with the "Strengthen Your Defenses" and "Be Our Shield" commands - not that this is bad, but eliminating alternative commands will help reach your goal. Leading with Irina won't be much better - if she's still a Scholar, the class has [Medic], which will pull extra healing commands into the mix. Again, not a bad thing in a general sense, but opening with the standby command "Recover your health!" won't help to put you on the offense.

Drawing on past Speedrunning experience where the goal is to open each fight with a force-trigger of Blackout, it would help to further reduce the variety of arts available to each unit in the union. We typically build a 5-unit union with 4 or 5 members capable of mystic arts. Rush would lead as a Marauder ([Esoteric]) with only Permafrost enabled, and the rest of the units would have a single art enabled to force-trigger Blackout each turn. For your team, try limiting the units to just one or two options.

Just so it's not overlooked: Turning off Combat Arts is going to help as well, as the "Attack with Combat Arts!" command would be removed from the pool. You also mentioned the removal of Stealth, and I would add to that by including Double Time and Support, along with Irina and Wyngale's Traps.

User Info: YiddosRule

YiddosRule
4 months ago#3
Thanks for the info. It has made a big difference having Yuniver as the leader. I've now moved the witch into this union too as I just want it to be long range and a morale controller for tough fights but Irina keeps on wanting to attack even though she has finally learned bluff! It's a shame you can't turn off the basic "attack" too as that would solve that issue.

All CA's are off and it's just a mixture of Hex/Psi/Evo so it's just a matter of training the skills a little higher and it will be a decent union. I presume the formation dosen't have any bearing on the commands as they are in Candle atm just for the nice boost to Yuniver and two others.

Thanks again, appreciated.

I know a thing or two about a thing or two

User Info: Atmaone

Atmaone
4 months ago#4
YiddosRule posted...
I presume the formation dosen't have any bearing on the commands as they are in Candle

You are correct - Formations don't influence command options.

Irina will be more cooperative when she learns the next Psionic arts. Bluff (and Mixed Message) always seem a little different to me when it comes to them showing up in the "Attack with Mystic Arts!" command - probably because they don't deal damage/just move morale. And once morale is high, the "Lower their morale" appears much less.

Khrynia's going to be a bit uncooperative due to her class options (Thief --> Alchemist) being in the Item category. You'll still pull Mystic Arts out of her with the "Attack with Mystic Arts!" command; however, she'll "want" to throw Item Arts for the "all out" command options (Turn it around! / Give it all you've got!), Flank/Rear and "Play it by ear" commands. And if those arts are turned off, she'll just use regular attacks. Shame, too, considering how she sells herself as a mystic-y unit....though I suppose that Thief is more appropriate for her behavior!
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A