• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.

User Info: Linklite

Linklite
3 months ago#1
So I've never really played Civ before, so I was wondering if you had recommendations for:

1. A civilisation to start working with first? Are some more beginner friendly than others? Do some lend themselves to helping me learn how the game works or simplifies certain aspects so I can learn at my own pace, etc?

2. Any settings would be preferential? Obviously I'd need settings that would allow me to experiment without the presure of being destroyed while doing so,etc. So are there any good meals to use? Longer or shorter games are better? Any victory conditions, etc?

3. Any tips on how to pay, what to focus on etc so that I can become good enough that I can at least hold my own and learn how to implement my own style, etc?

4. Any other pertinent advice?

Thanks.

User Info: mrpants_again

mrpants_again
3 months ago#2
Linklite posted...
1. A civilisation to start working with first? Are some more beginner friendly than others? Do some lend themselves to helping me learn how the game works or simplifies certain aspects so I can learn at my own pace, etc?

2. Any settings would be preferential? Obviously I'd need settings that would allow me to experiment without the presure of being destroyed while doing so,etc. So are there any good meals to use? Longer or shorter games are better? Any victory conditions, etc?

3. Any tips on how to pay, what to focus on etc so that I can become good enough that I can at least hold my own and learn how to implement my own style, etc?

4. Any other pertinent advice?

1. There isn’t necessarily a “more beginner friendly” Civ, but I would recommend either America or Arabia. In the vanilla version - which is what Civ VI on Switch is - both of those tend to be overpowered slightly in their leader ability and national (civilization) ability. Arabia in particular guarantees you a religion founding even if you don’t plan on establishing one with Saladin’s ability. That enables you to try any victory approach.

2. I found standard speed on Prince difficulty to be fairly fine. The AI is not great in general, and on higher difficulties, the game just starts them with a few fully researched techs/civics and gives them a minor combat power boost. Otherwise, they still act...funky. As for map type, continents is my favorite but it all comes down to preference. :)

3. In the early eras, focus on building military units and try to establish at least 3 cities (including your capital) by the end of the Classical Era. After you have a protection force to belay barbarians, focus on getting a Campus, Holy Site, or Theater Square (the later of which is unlocked in the Classical Era). That will help you develop techs (Campus) or civics (Theater Square) faster or build up to a religion (Holy Site).

4. Use the Civilopedia. If you are ever confused on a unit, wonder, or district, the Civilopedia has everything. Press R, then cycle to the “?” Icon.

Hope this helps! :)
My signature is boring.

Linklite
2 months ago#3
Yeah it does, thanks!

In regards to point 2, does that mean that the only difference between difficulties is that they have a headstart? They don't get smarter, be more aggressive, etc?

In what way do you mean that they act "funky"?

I've bought it on sale in advance of my birthday, so my wife insists that I wait.

User Info: Xx_King_Beef_xX

Xx_King_Beef_xX
2 months ago#4
If you have never played a Civilization game before, I recommend checking out this guy’s series of videos (it is six parts):

https://youtu.be/pczrASkYGSo

https://youtu.be/NqpgYoLqXrU

https://youtu.be/JN8NKx-VPsU

https://youtu.be/tVxzvzYHpHI

https://youtu.be/qBteALNlnb4

https://youtu.be/NU2G8iuuO1I

I had only played Revolution years ago and bought this yesterday. Did the tutorial until it glitched on me and I had no damn clue what I was doing. Those videos were a lifesaver. If you have about three hours to spare, it is definitely worth watching.
I like to dissect girls. Did you know I'm utterly insane?
(edited 2 months ago)

Linklite
2 months ago#5
I watched three, but ran lit of time, I've now started playing, but might revisit since I'm having difficulties.

I've played two games, lost the first one and won the second, but it seems...difficult, although I'm not sure that's quite the right word. I mean, I was playing as Sumeria going for a science victory on Settler difficulty. I went whole hog for science (obviously there are compromises to be made, you have to get new cities, build up population, etc, but I had the end objective of maximising science) and the graphs proved I was significantly ahead in the science department. I launched the satellite, the used a Great Scientist (Carl Sagan, I think it was) to effectively skip the process for Moon Landing. What really confused me was that the very next turn I got a message saying Germany had launched a satellite! It was all good because I had 3 spaceports so I did the Mars modules simultaneously and won before they put a man on the moon.

But what really got me was that I focused almost solely on science and I'm not sure I could have done it much quicker, and had a lot more science that Germany who dithered between Religious and Domination victories with only the occasional foray into science, so how did they manage to keep up? It feels like if I did it on any harder difficulty or had to deal with wars (I never had a war the whole time) then I'd have to play perfectly in order to even stand a chance of winning. Do you think I was really screwing something up?

Another issue that I couldn't figure out was amenities. I was kind of fine for most of the game, but the last portion of the game (pretty much the space race part) I could never seem to get enough amenities. I mined every amenity I could find, and even traded for 3 or 4 of them to boot, but it never seemed to make a difference. Indeed, things just seemed to get worse. Luckily I was on the last slog so it didn't matter to much, but any ideas what I was doing wrong? I know it's difficult when you're not able to see what I was doing exactly.

Linklite
2 months ago#6
By trading and mining amenities, I meant luxury resources.
  • Post New Message