• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Sid Meier's Civilization VI
  3. Coastal city production

User Info: Expa0

Expa0
8 months ago#1
So I noticed that Fish tiles and such don't seem to give any production (I recall them doing so in CIV5 but I could very well be wrong.)

Is there a tech or a wonder of some kind or something that I should go for if I want more production in coastal cities? Particularly if I want to settle on an island that doesn't have that much landmass.

Or are coastal cities with not that much land just not a good idea in this game?
"Cower before the might of the magic Imhullu: once forbidden, now unleashed!"
-Gharnef (Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon)

User Info: Tables

Tables
8 months ago#2
Coastal cities are sadly just not all that good - you want good inland tiles you can work as well to compliment them, and that makes small island cities very weak - though not useless necessarily. Harbor buildings do improve coastal cities, though only the Shipyard provides production (+3 or +4 production is quite typical on a coastal city). If you can get the harbor built using trade routes to speed it up perhaps), then you can buy the buildings, and that can at least get you some value out of those cities - they may have poor production, but at least they often bring in a decent amount of gold.

If you found the God of the Sea Pantheon, your fishing boats give +1 production. Not fantastic, but a modest bonus if you intend to settle many coastal cities. Also, Whales have +1 production base, but it's pretty rare to capture more than two of those in a single city, and even that's rare. Later in the game Oil is found offshore more often than on land and gives +3 production, which can be improved by a further +2 production with Offshore Oil Rigs - but again, you're unlikely to get more than one or two of these in a single city.
Everyone is entitled to my own opinion.
(edited 8 months ago)

User Info: Expa0

Expa0
8 months ago#3
That's a real shame, makes me wonder if they have buffed coastal cities at all with the expansions on PC, I like my island cities.

Thanks for the answer.
"Cower before the might of the magic Imhullu: once forbidden, now unleashed!"
-Gharnef (Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon)

User Info: Tables

Tables
8 months ago#4
Yeah, they have. One of the governors lets you build fisheries which provide 1 production if you keep her in the city. There's a few other changes as well which make coastal a little better, though not massively
Everyone is entitled to my own opinion.

User Info: Protian

Protian
8 months ago#5
The way the harbor works it gets +1 production per adjacency gold it generates when you build the 2nd building (looks like a dock but can't recall the name).

So indirectly you could count this as giving those resources adjacent to it +1 production each instead of counting it as coming from the district building. (since they are what triggered the adjacency bonus for 1 gold) In essence it's actually better this way though because if you have better tiles to work with your population you still benefit from that production.

Generally speaking coastal cities don't get much out of their sea resources but if you happen to be in a very hilly area it might actually be nice to have those sea resources for food to keep your cities growing.

In the PC version there is an expansion which adds reef tiles to the coast which have some production. They're pretty good starter tiles, the biggest draw back is that you can't add any improvements to them typically. They also add a couple more sea resources, sea turtles, and something else.

Haven't heard if the expansions will be coming to switch anytime soon though.
(edited 8 months ago)

User Info: Lord_Shadow_19

Lord_Shadow_19
8 months ago#6
I'm not expecting to see expansions come to Switch anytime soon, the base game already had performance issues when it gets to the late game.
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

User Info: Protian

Protian
8 months ago#7
They recently announced that the game outperformed their expectations and that they will "support" it on the switch.

Given that they haven't even really supported it on the PC I interpret this to mean that they'll fund porting the expansions over.

User Info: hagar775

hagar775
6 months ago#8
The leader of Indonesia civ has lots of bonuses on coastal cities. Can even build a unique structure with worker on water tiles that give 1 house and 1 production. Plus cities on coast get bonus to faith per turn. Only leader I enjoy making island cities out of.

User Info: Linklite

Linklite
3 weeks ago#9
Expansion packs have been confirmed.

In the Seltember patch they buffed coastal tiles, particularly if you build a shipyard. I'm guessing that the stats form switch also improved, we had a patch at the same time, but I know we didn't get the whole patch, the extra maps and Red Death didn't come with it, unkilemthe PC games :(
  1. Boards
  2. Sid Meier's Civilization VI
  3. Coastal city production
  • Post New Message