• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Streets of Rage 4
  3. Tier List Discussion

User Info: EmblemLord

EmblemLord
11 months ago#1
So I think it's about that time.

This is what we do. We play beat em ups and then we break it down with evidence and see who is the best. Who is the worse. And everyone in between.

Let's keep it civil. Let's keep it respectful. We are all people that love this series. No insults. No BS.

If you want to praise the game, keep it out of this thread. If you want to criticize the game, keep it out of this thread. I want nice solid discussion about the characters and why you feel what you feel about their power level.

Game is new, so obviously everyone's list will be different. I really only have a solid base for who I feel is the best and who I feel is the worst. But let's have fun and enlighten discussion amongst each other.

I will post my list, but let me explain what mine is based on.

I base my list on is how easy is it for you to deal high damage to get high ranks in missions, crowd control ability, how useful you are in co-op compared to the rest of the cast, how good are you vs bosses and of course utility of blitzes and specials. Remember that combos don't mean much unless you are dealing great damage. The combo counter is a lie. It's based on damage not number of hits.

Full Tier List

S Tier - SOR4 Adam, SOR3 Shiva, SOR3 Zan
A Tier - SOR4 Floyd, SOR2 Max, SOR4 Cherry, SOR3 Axel, SOR3 Blaze, SOR3 Skate
B Tier - SOR2 Axel, SOR2 Skate, SOR4 Blaze, SOR4 Axel
C Tier - SOR2 Blaze
D Tier - SOR1 Axel, SOR1 Adam, SOR1 Blaze

Leaderboards Tier List (SOR4 characters only)

S Tier - Adam
A Tier - Floyd, Cherry
B Tier - Blaze, Axel

I will explain my leaderboard placements below.

Here is Adam's boss infinite for context.

https://streamable.com/pdjc7r

Adam is king. Great dash cross up. Great blitz that has high priority. Massive damage. Nuetral jump attack is amazing crowd control. Floyd is Max. Slow, but has a good mobility option and alot of crowd control. I actually think Cherry is not A tier, but her speed in co-op is a massive boon. She is imo the best partner for a 2 player game as she can move around and keep enemies from swarming the damage dealer. For that reason I bumped her up. Blaze and Axel have some really amazing tools to make up for mediocre mobility. Blaze especially has some crazy stuff with her ground bounce OTG Blitz into air combos. Amazing corner carry as well. And her blitz doesn't get interrupted by anti-airs anymore because it's low to the ground compared to her previous incarnations. It also has a hitbox close to her body. Good stuff. Axel is a boss killer and shreds goons like crazy. However his jump is not as good as Floyds, and Adam melts things as fast as he does and melts bosses even faster. Axel is not weak at all hit for hit. But Adam has overall superior mobility, similar damage and better crowd control.

For the free for all tier list, it's more general thoughts as we get lower on the list, but more specific as we move up. I will be repeating some points for the SOR4 characters.

SOR1 chars don't take advantage of the system. If you get surrounded you are gonna get hurt. Massive jab range and huge retro damage boost are really nice though.

SOR2 Blaze has the same really bad Blitz she has always had. She is not bottom though because she does have a special. SOR2 Axel and SOR2 Skate are just overall good with no insanely broken strengths or weaknesses. Retro damage boost helps them.

SOR4 Axel and SOR4 Blaze are very solid with alot of comboability. They have to work a bit harder to reach higher damage compared to Retro characters, but they are built for the system.

SOR3 characters get slight retro damage boost, but have almost as much comboability as SOR4 characters. Scary stuff. Roll breaks the engine and lets them out of scary situations for far less risk. They can run, but that is not why they are good. It's the damage and the roll. They have some scary set-ups mostly off grabs similar to SOR4 characters.

SOR4 Floyd is the bruiser. Offensive special lets him control the ground. Massive damage off basic combos and throws. Great crowd control. Air throw is amazing. His damage rivals retro characters, but he has all the new school tools. SOR2 Max is great. Slide is nerfed from previous games and so is his jab speed, But you can unga with him easily. Slide combos into itself and it otg's. Tackle has invincibility frames and slide combos after. Cherry is overall solid. Her damage is low so it actually takes longer for her to kill stuff which is bad for high scores. Also her blitz is food for enemies with good anti-airs. So she is not a spammy character. Crowd control is also poor without commiting to blitz. What keeps her in A tier is that she is the best co-op partner due to her mobility. She can zip around and stop potential mob beat downs and pincers.

SOR3 Zan has crazy jab range, retro damage boost and a great blitz. It has slight cooldown, but appears to have some invincibility. Also has a GREAT roll. Jump normals are bad. His only flaw, but it doesn't matter. SOR3 Shiva has great jab range, retro damage boost and the most insane blitz. Hits full 360 degrees around him and behind. Starts low to the ground and is VERY high priority. Also can anti-air and suck enemies into the rest of the hits. Great jump normals. SOR4 Adam is busted. He simply has it all aside from an otg besides his star move. Meaningless since he does HUGE damage and has insane juggle potential.

Overall game balance is good though. Even the SOR1 characters can put in work. You just have to work and make sure you do not get surrounded.

If people want deeper explanations or very character specific thoughts feel free to ask.

Let the discussion commence.
The journey begins anew
(edited 11 months ago)

User Info: Azeiryous

Azeiryous
11 months ago#2
ok I didn’t like your SoR 1 Adam placement but you explained yourself. Still wouldn’t but him as bottom tier though

EmblemLord
11 months ago#3
Azeiryous posted...
ok I didn’t like your SoR 1 Adam placement but you explained yourself. Still wouldn’t but him as bottom tier though
Tell me your thoughts fam.

Why isn't he bottom tier?

Also bottom in this game is not bottom tier in SOR3 or SOR2.

In this game it lterally just means you have to try a little bit harder and watch your spacing just a bit more.

I feel the gap between tiers are very close unlike most beat em ups.
The journey begins anew

User Info: supertortaman

supertortaman
11 months ago#4
Oh damn, a created a similar topic minutes ago. But yours is more detailed, so lets discuss here.

I haven't tested nor played the game enough yet, but I am pretty sure Adam is the best character in leaderboards tier list.
FC 3ds: 4742-5145-1003

User Info: supertortaman

supertortaman
11 months ago#5
Also, yeah, I think axl is the worst one too sadly.

FC 3ds: 4742-5145-1003

User Info: Sabin27

Sabin27
11 months ago#6
I'd put SOR4 Adam a tier below. Same as Floyd. His infinite is too situational. Being able to dash is great for keeping the combo.
And I'd put SOR3 Skate a tier above. He just wrecks everything, boss included, by just chaining blitz attacks. I believe he has the current best time for finishing Boss Rush.
Not sure about Cherry being A tier. I've such a hard time with her. But she definitely seems to have potential, with time and practice.

User Info: Azeiryous

Azeiryous
11 months ago#7
Well like you said getting surrounded is bad with SoR1 characters but Adam has crazy attacking range and damage. Maybe I’m being biased, I need more play time so I will be tracking this topic.

EmblemLord
11 months ago#8
Azeiryous posted...
Well like you said getting surrounded is bad with SoR1 characters but Adam has crazy attacking range and damage. Maybe I’m being biased, I need more play time so I will be tracking this topic.
In Mania it is tough. Think of it like this. How hard do you need to try with SOR1 Adam compared to an SOR3 character who can just roll out of situations?
Sabin27 posted...
I'd put SOR4 Adam a tier below. Same as Floyd. His infinite is too situational. Being able to dash is great for keeping the combo.
And I'd put SOR3 Skate a tier above. He just wrecks everything, boss included, by just chaining blitz attacks. I believe he has the current best time for finishing Boss Rush.
Not sure about Cherry being A tier. I've such a hard time with her. But she definitely seems to have potential, with time and practice.
Like I said I don't think she is really A tier. Just the best teams partner so I felt that I had to be fair. I will mess with Skate more. SOR3 characters are broken for sure though and break the engine in general. It was not built for them and they generally ignore the rules. I would not be shocked if the beat em community at large ends up agreeing they are all S tier.

Guys feel free to post your own list. Mine is not official, despite how in-depth it is.
The journey begins anew

User Info: boredomkiller99

boredomkiller99
11 months ago#9
SOR2 characters are not really that great either. They suffer from pretty bad recovery on their moves. This is pretty obvious when you compare SOR4 Axel to SOR2 Axel. SOR2 Axels jabs recovery much slower and he has slower throws as well and this a problem as you need to depend on jab locking for safety. Not being able to cancel blitz into specials also hurts a lot.

Max is probably the only really good SOR2 character due to the game not being able to handle his blitz attack that can combo together.

I would move SOR4 Axel and Blaze above SOR2 if not move them into A tier.
In the end the most important things are the basics.

EmblemLord
11 months ago#10
boredomkiller99 posted...
SOR2 characters are not really that great either. They suffer from pretty bad recovery on their moves. This is pretty obvious when you compare SOR4 Axel to SOR2 Axel. SOR2 Axels jabs recovery much slower and he has slower throws as well and this a problem as you need to depend on jab locking for safety. Not being able to cancel blitz into specials also hurts a lot.

Max is probably the only really good SOR2 character due to the game not being able to handle his blitz attack that can combo together.

I would move SOR4 Axel and Blaze above SOR2 if not move them into A tier.
I can definitely see that. SOR4 Blaze has ALOT of juice.

I totally forgot lower numbers could not cancel blitz into defense special.
The journey begins anew
  1. Boards
  2. Streets of Rage 4
  3. Tier List Discussion
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A