• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them

User Info: Hyde_Jekyll

Hyde_Jekyll
1 year ago#1
which item should I buy first? Should I go for the key or just earn enough coins for the lantern?

Anyone knows what are those for?

User Info: Illnesssss

Illnesssss
1 year ago#2
Up to you. Play the game at your own pace. There's no rush.
Blade: "Some mother****** is always tryin' to ice skate uphill." PSN JSlither Pawn Ivellia

User Info: Exystence

Exystence
8 months ago#3
6 months later but maybe this will help someone else? :D

The Lumafly Lantern is required to progress at a certain point. You can make it through dark areas on your own, but there comes a time where you need to interact with something in the dark in order to actually progress, and the game doesn't let you without the Lantern. Plus if it's your first playthrough it's pretty much required just to be able to navigate through the dark areas. So personally, I would go for it first.
~Exy || rateyourmusic.com/~Exystence
Don't be a henchman! Stand on your laurels! Do what no one else does and praise the good of other men for good man's sake!

User Info: mattack1

mattack1
4 months ago#4
so do you mean I should go for the lantern BEFORE the key?

I was going to post a separate thread but this one seems basically the same topic.

I have the map, found the bug to transport between two locations.. and it seems like I've gone everywhere I can.. until I get the key.

There's one boss on the left side that rolls into a ball so I don't think I can kill him until I get upgraded weapons or something.

The key will get me through that door on the right..

other than that, I have no extra powers... I got the map as I said and a few of the things to show me things on the map.

User Info: Exystence

Exystence
4 months ago#5
It’s been a while now since I played the game, but let me see if I can still help.

I think what I said above is not exactly true, I don’t think that in the strictest sense that the Lumafly Lantern is actually required to beat the game, but like I said it’s required to do something at a certain point in the game that you probably will want to do. And there is a section of the game that IS required and you will definitely want to have it if it’s your first time playing (and honestly any time you’re playing unless you’re doing a serious speedrun).

The keys (there are multiple) are not required but again you’ll definitely want them eventually. That said, I’ll provide a little spoiler here: if you decide to buy and immediately use the key on the door to the right of Dirtmouth, you’re going to be pretty disappointed.
~Exy || rateyourmusic.com/~Exystence
Don't be a henchman! Stand on your laurels! Do what no one else does and praise the good of other men for good man's sake!

mattack1
4 months ago#6
Argh, ok I did read your spoiler.

But then I guess I’m stumped.

It seems like it’s going to take a very long time to get enough to buy the key or anything else useful.. and that’s even by grinding by going in and out of the underworld so the bad guys regenerate.

Can you give a HINT of what I can/should do now. Again, there are a couple of places I can’t get into and the one with the key is the only obvious solution. I even bought the rotten egg thinking it would help in that church thing but it doesn’t.

mattack1
4 months ago#7
There’s a worm in a jar I can’t get to since it’s too high.

There’s a train station looking thing with a “flat slot” (something like that)

There’s one boss that I can’t hurt since he rolls into a ball and I can’t hurt him.

So grinding to 1800 seems like the only thing to do. I’m currently at like 160. I did grind to 300 quickly by killing the guy about 5 screens to the right when you first enter.. seems like killing him and the other things on the trip in/out is the fastest way..

But again I must be missing something since this is grinding.. not slow progress like Rogue Legacy.

mattack1
4 months ago#8
I ended up grinding to buy 2 mask shards and a vessel fragment, none of which does me any good so far.. that was almost the price of the lantern.

I’m back to ~400 again, doing it 45 a time for the big round guy plus a few tens more for enemies getting there..

So I guess maybe an hour or so at most more then I’ll have the lantern and can go into that one dark cave and find something.

It still seems like I’m “doing it wrong”.

mattack1
4 months ago#9
I did end up doing that grinding a whole bunch of times to get 1800 to get the lantern and now I’m in a new area. Difficulty went up noticeably.

mattack1
4 months ago#10
Ok I grinded again and got the key. Yeah disappointed.

I have NO nail upgrades. I could grind to get that one health thing but it takes up two slots.

So it seems like I have to somehow get good at those crystal shooting bugs on the platforms deep down...

Otherwise I’m stuck...
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A